Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > In Memoriam

Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 AM

Default Jim Shockley passes away

Jim Shockley a fellow member here past away this afternoon. Jim has been battling a few health problems for the last couple of years and cancer finally took him away from us. He was a very special person to me and he will be missed dearly. God speed Jim...
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts
Default Re: Bad news today

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Shockley a fellow member here past away this afternoon. Jim has been battling a few health problems for the last couple of years and cancer finally took him away from us. He was a very special person to me and he will be missed dearly. God speed Jim...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's sad news...I don't know that I have ever met Jim...but God speed to him...and we'll say some prayers for his family!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 AM

He was a quiet man and kept to himself and his family. Here he is bringing his car into the reunion.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 AM

That is terrible news...I still remember when he made a "last minute" arrival at one of the early SCR's with his rally green Yenko camaro. My bro and I spent some time talking to Mr. Shockley at one of the later SCR's a few years ago and he was a really nice guy... super down to earth and very neat to talk to. He came over to my table to look at my collection and told me of an extra dealer emblem he had, and later handed it to me as a token of friendship...I offered to pay him for it but he refused, saying I'd enjoy it more than he would. I thanked him, shook his hand and remember thinking at the time how nice of a guy he was. He'll be missed.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Sad news indeed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jim's family.

I had the pleasure of showing with Jim and family several times, not only at the SCR, but other shows, such as the Gibb reunion. Same as Joey, one of my fondest memories of Jim was the year he called me while the SCR was in progress, wanting to know if he could bring his car. I explained we would pulling the cars out in a couple of hours, jim said he did not care. Shortly he showed up with his Yenko for all to see. And he shared with us a s well, as he gave us a vintage cable driven S-W tach, knowing that was what we used in our Camaro. It is the one we run in the car.

Jim will be missed by all who knew him, including his sYc extended family.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Jim was a true gentleman for the hobby. I too remember him getting his fresh Yenko to the show about a day late. It was for me one of the best memories I have of that reunion. I will miss him..BKH
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 AM

That's to bad. He was a cool guy. Last time I saw he he said the cancer might get him, but not without a damn good fight. Always had time to shake your hand, and visit. He will certainly be missed.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 AM

Terrible news about Jim. I too was parked next to Jim at the SCR and the Gibb show. He was always a total gentleman with kind words for all.

The one thing he always said that the car would never be sold and would pass to his heirs at death.

Our condolences to the Shockley family.

Don and Judi Stowers

66 GTO, Tri power, Fact. A/C, 4 speed
65 Corvette, L-76, Conv., Fact. A/C
63 Corvette SWC
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 AM

He was a kind soul....he will be greatly missed. My dearest condolences to his entire family.

Dan.
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 02-07-2008, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible news about Jim. I too was parked next to Jim at the SCR and the Gibb show. He was always a total gentleman with kind words for all.

The one thing he always said that the car would never be sold and would pass to his heirs at death.

Our condolences to the Shockley family.

Don and Judi Stowers

[/ QUOTE ]

Don and everyone that have said some kind words about Jim, I just wanted to thank you all and I know the Shockley Family thanks you as well. Don you are correct about Jim's car that it will always stay with the Shockley Family and I talked to Keith and he plans to keep showing the car his father loved so much because this is what Jim would want for the car. Im just happy that Jim was able to see the day that we found the original engine for the car and he insisted on putting it back. At the time I thought he was nuts for wanting to stick it back in but now Im happy that he did because this is what he wanted for the car. There is just not enough people like Jim in the world today and he will be missed dearly. Oct 2006