PDA

View Full Version : Cicero at Dakin...Nickey Rent a Car..or Truck

six-corners
02-26-2009, 08:18 AM
I found this on the net....photographer and site credited on photo....check the site out if interested in this stuff.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/backwardk4501/usa_m_chi_mh_9550_rt54cicerodakin_1.jpg

1969z280
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Dennis:

I grew-up about 3 blocks from there at Grace and LeClaire. I remember Demars restaurant very well. I don't remember the Nickey Rental store though. A Jack-in-the-box was built there sometime in the early seventies. Very cool picture that brings back super memories of walking over to Nickey Chevrolet with my buddies to see what just came in. Thanks for posting. Ed http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1969l78
02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Graet old pic

TommyNJr
03-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Great photo. Jack in the Box was there in the summer of 72. I was 8 months old when my parents bought our home at 4828 w Byron. The building was replaced with a strip mall with Mr Submarine in the mid 80's.

six-corners
03-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I was too young to remember this...I do remember the Jack in the Box though....we lived at 5305 W Byron.

ChrisS
03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
The building across the street with the windows is KEE Department Store and you can just make out the Sears store building in the background.
A couple of weeks ago I went by the site of what used to be McInerney Chevrolet at Cicero and Diversy. There's a high-rise apartment building there now.

six-corners
03-05-2009, 04:20 AM
I do remember the Kee Store (toys downstairs) with the escalator being a ramp instead of stairs..plus the Woolworths not too far just up and left on Milwaukee. And the Sears, glad to know it is still a Sears.

Steve Drueck
03-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Great photo ! Bought my Beatles and Doors records at the Kee store. Jack in the Box was great, made many passes through there in my Roadrunner for super tacos and shakes. The Plymouth dealer was a couple blocks north of there, by the McDonalds, but I don't remember the dealer name now. The busses used to stop dead when they turned corners and the trolley arms popped off of the grid wires. The driver had to get out and pop them back on. I think I see some tire tracks up Cicero Ave from the F70's on the RR, have stack of tickets for proof...lol

hvychev
03-10-2009, 06:26 AM
I just got and have been reading a book on old the old Portage Park neighborhood. I didn't know its history until now. Pretty interesting. You can get it here pretty cheap.

Portage Park book (http://www.amazon.com/Portage-Park-IL-Images-America/dp/0738552291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236651850&sr=1-1)

ChrisS
03-12-2009, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great photo ! Bought my Beatles and Doors records at the Kee store. Jack in the Box was great, made many passes through there in my Roadrunner for super tacos and shakes. The Plymouth dealer was a couple blocks north of there, by the McDonalds, but I don't remember the dealer name now. The busses used to stop dead when they turned corners and the trolley arms popped off of the grid wires. The driver had to get out and pop them back on. I think I see some tire tracks up Cicero Ave from the F70's on the RR, have stack of tickets for proof...lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you slow down north of Montrose on Cicero for deadman's curve?
Wasn't the dealer Portage Chrysler/Plymouth?

1969z280
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
The walls were covered in paint and rubber marks from the people who didn't slow down!

Steven J
05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A couple of weeks ago I went by the site of what used to be McInerney Chevrolet at Cicero and Diversy. There's a high-rise apartment building there now.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first car, a 69 L-78 Camaro, was sold new at McInerney.