PDA

View Full Version : frame paint

1968 nova ss
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Gettin ready to paint my front clip on my 68 nova ss.A few guys are telling me they are using a sikkens product:autocryl rally matte black.they claim it is easy to spray,very durable and dries to the correct semi-gloss sheen.anybody out tried this product.Chris

Schonyenko2
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
We use it, and agree with the above statements.

CamarosRus
04-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Schony, In spite of the "matte" name (sounds to flat/retarded) are you saying that this product has a good looking sheen right out of the can ????

..........and then what does Joe do about making control arms,etc etc SHINIER ?????????

Thanks so much

Schonyenko2
04-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Pm Joe. I just hang the sheetmetal. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

beater68427
04-30-2009, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Schony, In spite of the "matte" name (sounds to flat/retarded) are you saying that this product has a good looking sheen right out of the can ????

..........and then what does Joe do about making control arms,etc etc SHINIER ?????????

Thanks so much

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been messing with the "Black sheens" I just started messing with Omni base coat and using hardner in it (no clear) actually looks quite good, I will try and get a pic up, A better idea might be a flash card with some different things I have been messing with, If I can find the time this weekend I will build a large flash card with various finishes if people would like, let me know and I will go to work on it!

Nova Jed
04-30-2009, 06:10 AM
I just sprayed some "tins", motorcycle parts, for a guy using some PPG product that turned out rather well. You can vary the mix, or buy the flattening paste, to make it almost any sheen you want to. It's not cheap and it has to be mixed right.

Whatever the Mayor uses on his front clips looks great to me! I'm sure it's more durable then a "flattened" clear over a base. IMO anyway.

RamAirDave
04-30-2009, 06:28 AM
The Sikkens Rally Black is pretty good, looks just a bit shinier than the comparable Standox and SW products that we've used in the last few years(single stage semi blacks). They'll gain a little more gloss with each coat.

We also use 5 other shades of black (don't really use 0% gloss) using BC/CC with varying amounts of flattener in the clear.

But I'm not a painter, I just look at our test panels and tell him what "color" I want each part. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd stay away from the Omni stuff, I'd use Krylon before that junk.

bigchevydaddy
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I've painted a fair ammount of Omni and have had generally good results, although I prefer the PPG base with the Omni clears for better coverage. If you're on a tight budget or just painting your work truck (and don't want to spend $1500 on materials), Omni works.

beater68427
04-30-2009, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd stay away from the Omni stuff, I'd use Krylon before that junk.

[/ QUOTE ]
What problems have you had with it? I use PPG in general, my dealer supplies omni also, I had posted a similar post wanting to know what was the best black to be used on firewalls, I then asked my distributor about it and he sent a few pints of various supplies for me to mess with and I really liked the finish with the Black base with harner in it from Omni, I have subjected the sprayed panel with chemicals with no damage to finish, I even heated it with the propane torch (simulate header heat) and held up good? Now the red on the car is PPG single stage, but was going to use the omni base deal underneath. Might not now http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-01-2009, 02:37 AM
I've painted a few open wheel race cars with it, just don't like it - didn't like the coverage, the way it laid out, etc... I think you get what you pay for.

Bergerz28
05-01-2009, 03:56 AM
In my shop we use Glasurit and on most GM's we use single-stage with a flattening agent and depending on the gloss or sheen to aqiure the choice it goes by weight not the percentage of mixture, very easy, super durable. I have been using Glasurit for many years and it is a great product.

Nova Jed
05-02-2009, 12:20 AM
So, you are saying that the flattening agent works better on the weight measurement then on the percentages? No wonder I was having problems.

Bergerz28
05-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Its not that the weight works better, mixture for Glasurit paint requires you to weigh the mixtures for flat, semi and so on. We can paint something 2 weeks later to match to another part and being that it goes by weight you will never have a problem with parts or other items matching the shade or gloss.

WILMASBOYL78
05-02-2009, 04:37 AM
We just painted inner fendes and radiator support for a 69 Nova....used the SEM Rustshield satin w/hardner and gloss enhancer...we then used an eggshell clear coat and it came out awesome...just the right gloss and super durable.

wilma

firstgenaddict
05-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Did you use a rattle can eggshell clear or was it mixed?

firstgenaddict
05-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I ran across the following photo which I have had for years... This is a NOS subframe "allegedly from the early 70's" were the subframes originally this dull or was this a protectant before painting?
Or did the correct sheen age over the years?

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/41974/2004227160059464720S425x425Q85.jpg

Nova Research Project
05-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I believe that many parts sent in to the parts system were treated to a different finish. This was so that they looked better and held up better to storage. As example many pulleys had a phosphate coating on the assembly line but were dip painted as spares.

The original frame coating was a bituminous type spray that was easily removed with wax and grease remover. Not to mention rain etc. It was not paint. I would expect that was a nasty coating to handle as a spare. I expect the NOS sub frame was painted vs coated.

Even the A arms were coated for the line. Yet all of the NOS ones are painted.

So you can not always use the NOS finish as a guide. Sometimes you can. Like Master Cylinders. They were treated the same way for the line and as parts. I have seen several NOS units that are coated black, just like in the early magazine pictures.

Greg

firstgenaddict
05-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Seems alot of the Delco Moraine castings were dipped in a cheap paint before machining the raw castings.
http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/43269/2965822360059464720S425x425Q85.jpg

Bergerz28
05-03-2009, 01:28 AM
In 1991 I was doing a frame-off on a customers 1969 Corvette, every part the customer wanted had to be NOS or restored depending on the condition, through discussions and meeting people at Bloomington Gold I was able to aquire a 5 gallon pail of asphalt based coating that was used on the chassis. It was a bit thick, I thinned it out and sprayed it. The finish of the chassis was perfect, I sprayed the chassis standing it up on the end like the factory and had all the runs on the bottom just like the it was originally. Like greg said any wax or grease remover would take it right off. GM was not looking for longevity just a quick finish and semi protection.

WILMASBOYL78
05-03-2009, 02:35 AM
The clear coat was mixed...it was a Sherwin-Williams product (no relation http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)I can get the specs if you want...

wilma