PDA

View Full Version : NICB Report???

Nasblu
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
How do you go about obtaining a NICB report? I heard NICB can provide such information as original selling dealer or previous owner history???? I know my car was sold in New Mexico new just dont know where????

njsteve
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
No owner history. All it gives you is original delivery dealer/zone code. Not available to non-law enforcement people. It is useful to law enforcement/fraud investigators because it can be used to verify that the VIN was in fact originally that VIN. In other words, if the VIN on the car they are investigating now mysteriously has a different engine code in the 5th digit, they just proved a case of VIN tampering. For example if a never-before known hemicuda convertible shows up and the VIN on NICB shows that it was originally a 6-cyl car...we now have a million dollar fraud case.

Nasblu
06-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Do you think that if I knew someone such as a state trooper they could do the search for me? How long does it take to do if you know the right people? Thanks

njsteve
06-21-2009, 12:06 AM
NICB requires a casefile number pursuant to recent federal and local DMV privacy laws. If your trooper buddy doesn't supply the NICB contact with the right info, he is just asking for an internal affairs investigation on himself. So it is rare that you will find someone willing to risk their career to assist you. On the other hand if you have legitimate questions concerning a possible VIN tag fraud/rebody, that is a legitimate reason for the law enforcement query.

JRSully
06-21-2009, 12:12 AM
NICB's don't always come back with dealer/delivery info. A lot of the the time they come back with no hits

njsteve
06-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Correct. The data that NICB has, was from production shipping lists provided to them from each assembly plant. If the assembly plant did not provide the info or it was lost somehow (which happened from time to time), NICB won't have the list, resulting in a no-hit information return.

Nasblu
06-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys that was a big help!!!!