View Full Version : a $13k '63 split window

PLATINUM6BBL
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Lost to a DUI!
http://www.asset-auctions.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?sallen91/90707D059/showall
http://www.asset-auctions.com/90707D/17526A.JPG

markjohnson
06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, I'm against drunk driving as much as the next guy but I'm even MORE AGAINST the right of government to seize your vehicle and sell it. That's crossing a line, right there. Could you imagine spending 5 years of your life restoring a car, driving it to a buddy's house on a Saturady afternoon and drinking a can of beer, maybe two, chirping the tires while leaving his subdivision, get pulled over and have your car confiscated? I'm having a hard time trying to rationalize this as right.

Jim Ferron
06-25-2009, 10:47 PM
So Mark...I'm guessing you don't know anyone who was killed by a habitual drunk driver...

markjohnson
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
You know what, don't even go there. I don't know who you think you are but you don't know me. Back off. If somebody is a habitual drunk driver, than you take their license away. Driving is a privilege, not a right. You remove that privilege or at worst put them in jail where they can do no harm. It is wrong though, for the goverment to seize your vehicle. That's the beginning of the wrong kind of goverment. By the way, I don't drink AT ALL, so don't think I'm defending myself or anyone else for that matter, only the loss of freedoms and personal property.

x Baldwin Motion
06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
In NY I believe you get your car taken if it is a "felony DWI" which may mean 2nd offense within a certain time frame. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

note to self.. don't drink and drive. period.
edit;
Mark, here in NY they don't just seize YOUR vehicle, they take whoever's vehicle you are driving; leased, corporate, neighbors wifes' minivan, whatever you are driving.
The irony is, if you are sober and driving without a license that was revoked for DWI, they DONT take the car. I agree the laws need some tweeking to say the least. Most of the bad accidents near me are DWI.

beater68427
06-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I do not condone the act on either side, On the west coast the car has to be free of any lien and in your name, I have a leasing co, and most of my property is owned by the leasing co, and I lease it from it. this is not to protect a act of drunk driving but many other reasons. but in a case like this it would be protected at least in this state.

TXZS
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
If I bought the car, do you think the State of Tennessee would furnish '63 wheelcovers? They could keep the '64s.

JChlupsa
06-26-2009, 01:42 AM
I wonder why they put this statement in the ad.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">ATTENTION -THIS VEHICLE IS SOLD WITHOUT A TITLE.

-RESIDENTS OF STATES OTHER THAN TENNESSEE WILL HAVE DIFFICULTY LICENSING THIS VEHICLE FOR ROAD USE. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt you be able to take the bill of sale issued by the state and get a title for the car??

njsteve
06-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Yes. If the state it's coming from permts the sale of a car on a bill of sale (common for cars older than 20 years) then you can register it with the bill of sale in another state. I know in Jersey they will take the out of state bill of sale and then issue you a title, since Jersey is still a title state no matter the year of the vehicle.

mmcporter
06-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Drunk drivers are scumbags who deserve to lose the "right" to transport themselves by automobile. A long time ago I did a ride-a-long project with the police in my college town as part of my sociology class. While I saw a lot of disturbing and eye-opening situations, by the far the worst thing I experienced was rolling up to a "one car" accident in a neighboring town. The alcoholic woman driving the car had veered off the road and hit a chain link fence square on. In the passenger seat was her 14 year old daughter. I say "was" because the top rail careened through the car and killed the little girl instantly. The mother was so drunk she didn't understand what had happened. It was a scene so disturbing (I won't get graphic) that veteran officers were reduced to weeping and/or tossing their lunch. Before that evening, I was determined to enter law enforcement. After this experience, I gave up the idea of getting into law enforcement because I knew those types of calls would be brutal to contend with. However, to this day if I see someone on the road driving in a way that appears impaired, I will follow the offender and call local authorities on my cell. It's very satisfying to me when the blues roll up and pull the prospective drunk over. I keep hoping I saved someone's wife, husband, son or daughter from getting killed. We simply don't do enough as a society to stop these people from repeating their crime over and over with little or no punishment.

gb70
06-26-2009, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Drunk drivers are scumbags who deserve to lose the "right" to transport themselves by automobile. A long time ago I did a ride-a-long project with the police in my college town as part of my sociology class. While I saw a lot of disturbing and eye-opening situations, by the far the worst thing I experienced was rolling up to a "one car" accident in a neighboring town. The alcoholic woman driving the car had veered off the road and hit a chain link fence square on. In the passenger seat was her 14 year old daughter. I say "was" because the top rail careened through the car and killed the little girl instantly. The mother was so drunk she didn't understand what had happened. It was a scene so disturbing (I won't get graphic) that veteran officers were reduced to weeping and/or tossing their lunch. Before that evening, I was determined to enter law enforcement. After this experience, I gave up the idea of getting into law enforcement because I knew those types of calls would be brutal to contend with. However, to this day if I see someone on the road driving in a way that appears impaired, I will follow the offender and call local authorities on my cell. It's very satisfying to me when the blues roll up and pull the prospective drunk over. I keep hoping I saved someone's wife, husband, son or daughter from getting killed. We simply don't do enough as a society to stop these people from repeating their crime over and over with little or no punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. I like a good beer or two myself but either have them at home or let my wife drive.

I do agree with Mark's statement above though. The car should be impounded but not sold off and the money given to the state. It belonged to him and or his family.

mmcporter
06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, I wouldn't take the man's car either, but if he's a bona-fide drunk driver, the penalties should be harsh.

Jim Ferron
06-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Drunk drivers are a poison to us all. You wanna get plastered, knock yourself out, I've been known to tip a Pabst or two myself. But I know when to say when..

for those who don't AND PUT ALL OF AT RISK, take their godamn split window coupes away...they won't need it anyway..their license should be toast too.

And by the way Mark..I know exactly who I am.

And I don't drink and drive.

But this is getting too political [I guess] and there are other places to fight this one out..so I'm done.

Kim_Howie
06-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Jim quick question. What if you had two beers with in a hour &amp; was driving home. All of the sudden a van with three childern in it runs thru a stop sign and hits you. Now you were not at fault, but you are charged with a DUI. Three days later the youngest child in that cars dies from the injuries from the accident. Guess what!! YOU are now charged with Manslaugter. Mim. time in prison is 25 years. That is how some states work, Iowa does. The mother driving the van ran the stop sign totally at fault, too bad your SCREWED. Now tell me that's right!!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

flyingn
06-26-2009, 07:39 PM
amen.. They deserve to lose the car AND the privilege to drive again

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim Ferron
06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
No Kim, that's not right but what does that have to do with this multiple offender getting his car taken away OR what I had to say about it?

Certainly, with the THOUSANDS of DUI case in this country a year there will be some that are not only unfair, but where the accused is just innocent.

In my post I said a car should be taken from repeat offenders. Certainly I'm not the only person who thinks this way...of course your scenario seems unfair but I seriously doubt two beers would but you over .8 .

But,there will ALWAYS be injustices...but that does not mean we should lower everything to the lowest common denominator. [because some guy gets screwed and wasn't guilty we let everybody off.]

And of course, there are many different opinions on this matter.

Kim_Howie
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
.8 two beers an hour will put you pass legal limit. I know, I have been there. I was stopped 7 years ago. I blew barely over. I refused the test {long story} I walked one year. No lic. to drive. I don't consider myself a SCUMBAG. Yes you are right, the mulitiple offense people belong in rehab &amp; or jail. The in some states are very relaxed and some very harsh. In Iowa you can kill several people and spend less time in prison than some first off. owi with injuries involved. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Jim Ferron
06-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Kim, just to set the record straight...I never called anyone a scumbag...that was someone else.

A question...you said you barely blew over and then said you refused the test [??] In Iowa you can take the test then somehow..refuse it?

I know my lawyer friend told me to NEVER, EVER take the test..once you do [and fail ]you are screwed..

But he says..no matter how drunk you are..if you don't take the test he will get you off [mass] of course get ready to pony up $40,000...might as well take the Vette...

PeteLeathersac
06-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Here in Ontario Canada I believe refusal to blow is automatically considered the same as blowing over plus maybe an additional fine too?.

Our first offence gets a one year suspension plus a subsequent year of driving a 'blowmobile'...your car w/ an approximate $3000.00 blow monitor ignition-disabler device, rental/installation/maintenance at your cost..

The only way around the 'blowmobile' thing is running the two full years without driving or you can motorbike for the second year being there's no blow machines for bikes yet?.

Snowmobiling/4 Wheeling on our Provincial trail systems is well monitored by the Police and considered the same as being on the roads here so you can lose your licence or be nabbed running under suspension on a weekend w/ the boys!.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif
~ Pete

gb70
06-26-2009, 09:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Alcohol-Brea...:1|293:1|294:50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Alcohol-Breath-Tester-Analyzer-Breathalyzer-015_W0QQitemZ220374895073QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item334f5e09e1&amp;_trksid=p3286.c0. m14&amp;_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1240|240:1308|301 :1|293:1|294:50)

Kim_Howie
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Jim, I never said you said I was a scumbag. OK. The state of Mass. is different than Iowa. In Iowa you have two breath test. One in the field {at your car} to see if they need to arrest you. Then at the station. That is the one that counts in court. This one I refused. When you refuse in Iowa you lose your lic. One year period. You can not fight it. I read the test refusal papers. The first thing on it asked if you are on drugs!! I tolded the officer I didn't do drugs. He stated right there I quote "he has refused the test". I was than charged with "under the infuence" 12,000.00 dollars later I was convicted. The police lied all the way to court. I won't go into that. The funny thing about the Iowa laws is you can be charged with this crime and pass the breath test. All they have to say is they think you are "under the infuence". Then you have to hire a lawyer, and of course they drop the charges. It just cost you 4,000.00 to prove it. But it STILL go's on your driving record in our state. Being an insurance agent I have seen this time after time.

Kim_Howie
06-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Think about it I had to walk all the way to the bar &amp; then home for a whole year. Thats just not right. JUST KIDDIN http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Jim Ferron
06-26-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree the police have the ability to just plain screw up you life over this thing..

Same in Mass though as far as refusing the test...refuse it , and I believe lic. is gone..six months no way out...

On the other hand..my lawyer connection routinely gets repeat offenders [5-6 time ]hardship licenses..8 to 8 licenses...blow mobile licenses...all depends on how bad you want it and how much you will spend..and that ain't right.

Car dealers and Lawyers...wtf..

[I'm a car dealer btw]

Kim_Howie
06-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I at the time thought the SYSTEM worked. I didn't play the game. I found out the SYSTEM is in fact green. All about the money. Very few rich people in prison!!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

ANDY M
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
So Kim, you "tolded" the officer you weren't on drugs, and he didn't believe you? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Kim_Howie
06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Andy according to "the state" my answer to him was a test refusal. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

704EVER
06-27-2009, 02:40 AM
DUIs' in their own right are serious offenses and should not be taken lightly. However, it has become a huge money making machine for the cops, courts, lawyers and insurance industry. I don't believe DUI's should be written for riding a lawn mower in your own yard, riding a bicycle or skateboard, riding a horse on a private trail or even roller skating. The LE community has become overzealous, unfair and sometimes down right ignorant in their pursuit of the almighty arrest. A couple of years ago down here a cop wrote a DUI on a guy sitting on his cooler at the beach after he had a few beers. He wrote the DUI because the cooler had 2 wheels on it!! Give me a break!! Luckily for this guy, the Judge laughed it out of court but probably only after the poor guy spent 5K to defend himself. Were's the justice here? The 2 sets of rules that exist also don't sit right with me, 1 for the average Joe and the other for cops/politicians. And believe me they do exist, I've seen it first hand more than once. I have one more injustice to highlight while I'm at it. If someone has had too much to drink and decides to NOT drive and sleep in their car, how can they be charged with a DUI? The car is NOT RUNNIG, they are NOT DRIVING and they are NOT on the road. How can this possibly be a DUI? I don't get it!!

Dave Rifkin
06-27-2009, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DUIs' in their own right are serious offenses and should not be taken lightly. However, it has become a huge money making machine for the cops, courts, lawyers and insurance industry. I don't believe DUI's should be written for riding a lawn mower in your own yard, riding a bicycle or skateboard, riding a horse on a private trail or even roller skating. The LE community has become overzealous, unfair and sometimes down right ignorant in their pursuit of the almighty arrest. A couple of years ago down here a cop wrote a DUI on a guy sitting on his cooler at the beach after he had a few beers. He wrote the DUI because the cooler had 2 wheels on it!! Give me a break!! Luckily for this guy, the Judge laughed it out of court but probably only after the poor guy spent 5K to defend himself. Were's the justice here? The 2 sets of rules that exist also don't sit right with me, 1 for the average Joe and the other for cops/politicians. And believe me they do exist, I've seen it first hand more than once. I have one more injustice to highlight while I'm at it. If someone has had too much to drink and decides to NOT drive and sleep in their car, how can they be charged with a DUI? The car is NOT RUNNIG, they are NOT DRIVING and they are NOT on the road. How can this possibly be a DUI? I don't get it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I always heard they could only be charged in that scenario if they had their car keys in the ignition; that is considered intent to drive which is why they receive the citation.
I could be way wrong but, that's always been my understanding.

704EVER
06-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Dave, that's not the case, at least not here in Fl. I know a guy they charged with a DUI and he didn't even have his keys, he lost them or someone else at the bar picked them up by mistake. He didn't have them so he sacked out and got the knock, knock on the window at 4am by the cops riding through and they wrote him up anyway. That's just not right in my book. Especially knowing what they get away with on the other side of the fence.

704EVER
06-27-2009, 03:06 AM
On a side note, consider what you're saying here. Even if someone did have the keys in the car and maybe even in the ignition how can you convict someone of something they haven't done? That's like saying if you have a gun with a carry permit and they confront you in front of a bank, can they charge you with bank robbery because you might have robbed it? How can they prove intent here? The spirit and intent of this law has become a nightmare for many people and in my opinion, it needs to be rewritten and applied uniformally to one and all. The abuse of this law is way out of hand, just my .02 on it.

markjohnson
06-27-2009, 03:14 AM
I seen a recent episode of "COPS" where a man got wrote up from riding a bicycle after a few beers in front of his house in his subdivision. WTF!

Xplantdad
06-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Yeah...but he went over with the intention to beat up his neighbor...who ended up geting the last laugh.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

markjohnson
06-27-2009, 04:19 AM
You seen it too!

704EVER
06-27-2009, 04:21 AM
My point exactly Mark, there is a tremendous amount of abuse being practiced by some in law enforcement, especially down here. There are roughly 8 million people in a tri-county area in S. Fl. and now there seems to be a growing trend to target some of the elderly who may be on medication such as prescribed heart medication. If your Grandmother gets in a fender bender and she has a prescription on her, watch out, the tickets will fly. It's getting out of hand to say the least and it's all money driven, don't let anyone kid you.

Xplantdad
06-27-2009, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You seen it too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeppers! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PLATINUM6BBL
06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I posted this as a notice to let you all know that it was being auctioned off, not to start a debate that can and has to a degree turned ugly. I have never drank a drop in my life and am thankful I can say that. Did this person not know the laws of their state? Who knows but it did happen and now the car is being offered up.
Now, who here has already applied for a bidders number to be able to bid on the car?

gb70
07-03-2009, 08:04 PM
at 21k

GMC_Typhoon
07-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I used to see a BEAUTIFUL 59 Vette convertible around here.White with silver coves.

One day on the front page of the local paper was a picture of it totaled.

DUI guy crossed the center line and hit a Jeep head on.Luckily the Jeep driver wasn't hurt.

I felt bad for the car but not for the guy (who had NO insurance on his Vette) http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif