PDA

View Full Version : Interesting original '69 Chevelle SS Ad

mockingbird812
01-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Note anything unusual in this ad photo (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Chevy-Chevelle-SS-396-ORIGINAL-Vintage-Ad-CMYSTORE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad61b1e27QQit emZ390139158055QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature# ht_953wt_911) ? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

XXXGoldL34M20
01-08-2010, 07:10 AM
no trim rings on the rims.

Keith Tedford
01-08-2010, 07:11 AM
No trim rings. Was GM planning on building them that way, or was it just a slip up that no one caught? In one of the brochures there is a child seat. Look at the interior of the car.

mockingbird812
01-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Just like the '70 sYc Novas, I think this makes the car look tougher, more dressed down.

1970Bluel78
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Whats with the yellow stripe on the road. Looks wrong to me

Jim Ferron
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks like a twin to my survivor L-78 now doesn't it?? http://www.classicperformance.com/ebay_pics/1969l78.jpg

442w30
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No trim rings. Was GM planning on building them that way, or was it just a slip up that no one caught?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it was a pre-production car.

Look at ads at all brands and chances are you're gonna find inconsistencies all around.

bashton
01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
And if anyone happens to be looking for some of those cool old ads, let me know. I have a "few" around here!

I can even arrange personal deliver to Scottsdale.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

Fast67VelleN2O
01-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Speaking of promo ads.... I remember seeing an genuine Chevrolet ad for a 1970 Chevelle SS. Red with stripes. View was of the front looking down and the hood was up... but it had a 6 cylinder in it. Anyone know this one?

Xplantdad
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And if anyone happens to be looking for some of those cool old ads, let me know. I have a "few" around here!

I can even arrange personal deliver to Scottsdale.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob kicks a$$ with his magazine stuff! He's found some really cool magazines for me in the past that I had been looking for...for years! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

bashton
01-09-2010, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of promo ads.... I remember seeing an genuine Chevrolet ad for a 1970 Chevelle SS. Red with stripes. View was of the front looking down and the hood was up... but it had a 6 cylinder in it. Anyone know this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW...I have literally handled 100's of thousands of ads and have never heard of anything like that. I would love to see it, even if it were a copy!

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

Mr70
01-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Bob
Click here,then scroll to the 4th one from the bottom and bring floss....It's item #53217423.
http://www.gmphotostore.com/Chevrolet-in-the-1970s/products/1309/

This pic has been discussed before.
It looks like a 6 cyl,as well as a tool box or a gas can sitting in there.No one can really say for sure.
That was typical of a few Chevrolet photos back then,as they took ordinary base models and trimmed them out to look like their upgraded breathern.
I guess they had to make do with what they had available at that time.
The 1970 SS Chevelle showing on the front cover of the Salesmans leaflet brochure is actually a Malibu with waterslide decal SS hood stripes and various airbrushed Super Sport trim added later on.

MultiMopars
01-09-2010, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bob
Click here,then scroll to the 4th one from the bottom and bring floss....It's item #53217423.
http://www.gmphotostore.com/Chevrolet-in-the-1970s/products/1309/

This pic has been discussed before.
It looks like a 6 cyl,as well as a tool box or a gas can sitting in there.No one can really say for sure.
That was typical of a few Chevrolet photos back then,as they took ordinary base models and trimmed them out to look like their upgraded breathern.
I guess they had to make do with what they had available at that time.
The 1970 SS Chevelle showing on the front cover of the Salesmans leaflet brochure is actually a Malibu with waterslide decal SS hood stripes and various airbrushed Super Sport trim added later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that much of this had to do with timing to get the pictures out to make the brochures and Dealer Data Books. Depending on how much of a change there was to a particular model dictated how long the plant was shut down for change over. Sometimes it was very short.

First they had to do a start up run to work out any kinks. After that they had to have cars to photograph. Then cars built for DEALER showings for all the different zones or regions and have time to get them there. Then there were the press release cars that had to be built and shipped for early release to get them in the magazines timed for the new car unveiling at the dealerships.

With all of this in mind I believe that often the same car was photographed with different stripes, emblems, etc. and probably airbrushed with different colors as well. They had a lot to build in a short time with a skeleton crew before the plant came back on line for full production.

When I was selling these cars new in the late 60s/early 70s, we (the dealers) would attend a dealer preview showning somewher in our zone. This was about 4 weeks before the public release/showing of the new models at the dealerships. The most vivid one in my mind was the 1970 model year showing at the Grand Ballroom of the Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago. At that show there was at least one of every model car. Remember this was happening all across the country at the same time so there were already a lot of cars built. At this time each dealer sat down with their factory sales rep and filled out his initial orders for the cars he would have at his dealership showing to the public. They also received a bunch of new car order forms to take home. They did not receive the new model brochures or Data Books until a few short days prior to the public showing, so they may have still been being put togather with the photographs. Remember, this was in the days that the only ones with computers were large corporations and they were the size of a small house. No email or fax machines either. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

XXXGoldL34M20
01-09-2010, 06:00 AM
its funny how the promo was a malibu all dreesed up to be an SS. i even noticed the regular hub caps with white line tire and the bottom chrome rocker trim.
i guess at that point of the photos the SS was not built yet and GM used a malibu mule with a straight 6 cyl motor.
love the big white teeth with the hood open,it must of been a beast of a 6 cyl http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Don_Lightfoot
01-09-2010, 06:32 AM
With regard to the 69 ad in the first posting, it's obvious a lot of the early promotional material was done before final tooling and detailing of the cars.

Some of the same circumstances appear in the original 69 Chevelle sales brochure. If you have the brochure take a look at the front grill on the Malibu convertible (probably brushed in to look totally Silver) and then the Malibu tailight bezels on the Red 300 Deluxe model. Hard to tell for sure, but it also appears all the models pictured in the borchure have the SS parking lights.

Hey, if these were printed in late spring of 1968 then we have to give GM a little wiggling room. No big deal really.

MultiMopars
01-09-2010, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With regard to the 69 ad in the first posting, it's obvious a lot of the early promotional material was done before final tooling and detailing of the cars.

Some of the same circumstances appear in the original 69 Chevelle sales brochure. If you have the brochure take a look at the front grill on the Malibu convertible (probably brushed in to look totally Silver) and then the Malibu tailight bezels on the Red 300 Deluxe model. Hard to tell for sure, but it also appears all the models pictured in the borchure have the SS parking lights.

Hey, if these were printed in late spring of 1968 then we have to give GM a little wiggling room. No big deal really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have a brochure that has a print date on it I think that is unlikely. More like July/August of 1968. Otherwise the brochure would have to be from a drawing. The new models could not be built until the plant was brought back on line for production. The only other thing available would be clay design models unless the had a model built from panels made for the die stamping machines that were going to be used in the assembly plants. This would be highly unlikely as those things would be highly guarded and not many people would be allowed to handle them.

Don_Lightfoot
01-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Hard to dispel your theory Darryl. I don't see any date on my brochure.

The reason I suggested late spring (JUNE?) was you would think the borchures would be out before production. Case in point - the earliest 69 Chevelle I have seen had a build date of 07B of 1968.

bashton
01-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I have to believe that this 1970 photo is indeed a pre-production air brush mix. I have seen hundreds of out-takes, mostly as "positives" (like a big negetive, but showing the positive image),that most likely never ended up being used.

I think it is pretty neat that GM actually offers these to the public, as they could have easily just disposed of all of this.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

MultiMopars
01-09-2010, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hard to dispel your theory Darryl. I don't see any date on my brochure.

The reason I suggested late spring (JUNE?) was you would think the borchures would be out before production. Case in point - the earliest 69 Chevelle I have seen had a build date of 07B of 1968.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comments are based on my knowledge of being involved in the business back in the day.

I remember when the factories shut down for model change over and when the work force went back to work in full as I lived 70 miles from a Chrysler plant and knew people that worked there.

I also remember when things showed up in the dealerships and in the hot rod magazines.

All of this is based on Chrysler and AMC knowledge but the industry pretty much operated the same with this regard.

The industry was totally profit driven and very cost aware. They did whatever they could in all cases to economize, but still sell their products. I am sure that there was a lot of airbrushing going on to create different pictures when possible.

There is a doumented example of an early Corporate owned 1969 six pack Roadrunner that was repainted (exterior surfaces) for differnet photos for I believe different magazine features.