PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Yenko Deuce II For Sale

talwell
01-23-2010, 07:19 PM
While browsing the Phoenix area classified I ran across this listing for a real 1970 Yenko Deuce II for sale.

70 Yenko Duece II, 1 of 5, #s matching, docs, history, sYs
Nova registry, Fathom Blue, $150,000. 602-697-3503

http://www.azcentral.com/class/results.php?searchcategory=1410 (currently on page 3)

Is this a known car? Sorry if this is a repost about this car as I was unable to find any other posts about it.

mockingbird812
01-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I believe, but not sure, this is a fellow from Colorado who owns this car. Don't recall his name.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/sYc%20site/eeb6_3.jpg

L78steve
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
If it's an auto why is there a stick on the floor? And whats the meaning of the II?

mockingbird812
01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I can't get the photos to upload from the ad. Auto sticks were standard with the '70 sYc Deuces when the automatic (TH400) tranny was ordered. They look deceptively liked a four speed shifter!

lwkitt427
01-23-2010, 08:32 PM
LOOKS KILLER TO ME LOVE THE COLOR

Nova Research Project
01-24-2010, 03:47 AM
This is being sold by a dealer. Here is the link to their site with pictures you can download.

VIN = 114270W354665

YENKO DUCE NOVA #354665 (http://www.autonowaz.com/trucks/dispveh_spec.php?intID=3619&strMake=&strCatagory=S ports%20Car&page=1&blnSpecial=)

Greg

69z2x4
01-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Nice Car! Love to have it!

PxTx
01-24-2010, 06:39 AM
I know I will be showing my ignorance, but is this where these cars are really at? Agreed, they can hold their own performance wise, but I just have a tough time wraping my head around a $150k small block Nova.

Schonyenko2
01-24-2010, 08:24 AM
It's a Cliff Peck sold car. Peck had most likley three deuces. This blue auto, my red 4 spd, and we think a silver car that was dealer traded to Johnny Londell, and wrecked. We did the resto probably 6-7 years ago. I'd be glad to tell anyone what we know if they want to PM me. It was a very solid piece. The motor is a correct dated Corvette LT/1. I believe the original owner was found, and I have the add from the Ark. Democrat, with the blue, and red deuces listed.
I have pics somewhere of both my red deuce and this one together. Reunited after all those years in IA.

Nova Research Project
01-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Hello,

There are some pics from the 2005 National Nostalgic Nova Nationals on my site. Click the pictures for a larger image.

Click here for the Supercar pics from the 2005 Nova Nationals (http://chevynova.org/2005NNNNats_68-72_Supercars/Index4.html)

Greg

Schonyenko2
01-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Cool pics. That was a very good nats. That blue deuce is the Ericksen sold, Cronkleton deuce. Very nice shot of Miss Helen.

69z2x4
01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
I believe they sold one at BJ some time ago for 110000 and said it was a rebody.Was Silver. Sold new at Central Motors in Hamilton, Ohio. Registary #87

Chevy454
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't get the photos to upload from the ad. Auto sticks were standard with the '70 sYc Deuces when the automatic (TH400) tranny was ordered. They look deceptively liked a four speed shifter!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are they a ratchet shifter? Or just gated, perhaps??

Schonyenko2
01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
They are gated at an odd angle. Takes a while to get on to the pattern. The shifter handle does look like a comp plus 4 spd handle. Sometimes you need to check the floor for pedals.
The silver deuce was proven to be a rebody. It was long suspected to be. It was disassembled, and the hidden vin had been welded in. It did go through the auction last year and even though it was called a reboby , went for I believe, 125k.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
$150k for a SB Yenko Nova is in line with the market, the high water mark is probably around $200k +/-.

Allen
01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$150k for a SB Yenko Nova is in line with the market, the high water mark is probably around $200k +/-.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just have to wait 'till no one wants 'em anymore to get one. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
No need to wait, sell that other silver car, and all those parts, and.... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif We'll get you into one!

Allen
01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No need to wait, sell that other silver car, and all those parts, and.... http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif We'll get you into one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... I'll trade the Vette and Nova for a 4-speed Deuce. Sign me up! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

J PAUL
01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Is this car a dated coded car or does it have the original numbers matching motor, block, trans and rear to the car?
What is a numbers matching car worth today versus a date coded correct car?

Salvatore
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thats COPO money Marlin. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Schonyenko2
01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this car a dated coded car or does it have the original numbers matching motor, block, trans and rear to the car?
What is a numbers matching car worth today versus a date coded correct car?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no original drive line components in it. The motor was right on date wise. Perfect other than the suffix code was for a Corvette.Rear was a 12 bolt 4.10, but not a CBW. Trans was a T400 but I don't remember what the code was. All parts were supplied by the owner at the time.

Chevy454
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Thats COPO money Marlin. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
The '70 Y-Novas just happen to be COPO cars! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Just bustin' your chops, Sammy...

Salvatore
01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Well I knew that was coming! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
A SB Yenko Nova is a COPO!

A vette and a BB Nova is enough to get you into a project deuce, I'll keep my eye open.

talwell
01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A SB Yenko Nova is a COPO!

A vette and a BB Nova is enough to get you into a project deuce, I'll keep my eye open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a Yenko Deuce is a COPO 9010 car. It can also have other COPO options added.

COPO engine code:
CTB = 4-speed, CTC = automatic

9010 350/360hp "LT-1" engine - This deleted RPO L65 and added the same engine as used in the Z/28 Camaro

9737 Sports Car Conversion - This deleted F40 and M-20, and added the F-41 suspension (which included the addition of a 13/16" front sway bar and added a rear sway bar, and was originally an SS only option), either the M-21 or 400 Turbo-Hydramatic transmission, and a special heat-treated ring and pinion.

Schonyenko2
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
A side note on what some of us original owners thought we had when we bought deuces. I thought that mine had a Corvette LT/1. Reason being, that's how Don advertised the car. "Corvette type motor". Nothing ever referenced Z28. Not that it made any difference other than I thought it was a Vette motor.
When we started to look for a correct motor for Cronkleton's deuce we looked for a Corvette blk, as we still thought that's what they were.(This was a very long time ago). It wasn't until I met Marlin that I found out that it was coded for a Z28.Don also claimed on his brochure that it came with a 800cfm Holley. I've always wondered if some of this was an intent to do as a modification that never happened, or a mild misrepresentation.

PxTx
01-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Sounds like some salesmanship was used bu ol' Don. But you know, the Z28 with the LT1 was not as established since Z28 to a lot of people still drew thoughts of the DZ motors. I would have done the same thing from a marketing standpoint.

J PAUL
01-28-2010, 12:43 AM
So guys ... what is a numbers matching driveline restored Deuce worth in today's market?

camarojoe
01-28-2010, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So guys ... what is a numbers matching driveline restored Deuce worth in today's market?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Schonyenko2
01-28-2010, 01:59 AM
I agree with Marlin, and Joe. With some difference depending on rarity of color, and auto vrs 4spd.

J PAUL
01-28-2010, 04:01 AM
How can this guy claim numbers matching when the complete driveline has been replaced? Am I missing something?
Is a 4 speed worth more than and automatic?

COPO
01-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Over the years, the meaning of "numbers matching" has evolved with cleverly worded ads to include correct casting numbers and date codes, or restamped components. "Born with drivetrain" is now catching on to better describe the original drivetrain that was installed in the car by the factory.

4 speeds are certainly more desireable to most and hence are more valuable. I would say 15% - 20% more value for a four speed and a much faster sale all things being equal.

Schonyenko2
01-28-2010, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How can this guy claim numbers matching when the complete driveline has been replaced? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not address this gentlemans truthfulness, nor lack of it. I would say that the last we saw it, it was not a nbrs matching/born with drive line car. What has happened since then, I can't say.

I agree with the 15-20% difference between auto, and 4 spd.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to check my database to determine which car this is, it has quite the history. I saw this car when it was unrestored and still in CT, as follows:

This car spent its early life in Arkansas, and we later learned that it was sold new at Peck Chev in Little Rock. It had a variety of colorful owners while in AR, and eventually migrated to CT with a collector. This collector offered the car to a local enthusiast with a condition that the enthusiast pay $x, restore the car, then they would split the money received that was in excess of $y. The enthusiast was considering it, but needed to know the if the current market value at that time would even exceed $y.

I was on my way to CT in a few days, and ironically received a call from this enthusiast. I needed to negotiate the final details of a corp acquisition, but made time to see the car the night before. I was surprised at what I found, and told the enthusiast the real truth. The owner called while I was under the car, and once he was told about what I thought he promptly replied that I knew nothing about what I was talking about and hung up!

This car had nice sheetmetal, as it appeared to have been replaced and was actually a decent job. There was a recent repaint but it was poor, a lot of dirt, rough patches, tiger stripes, etc.. It was the wrong shade of blue, and it had black stripes installed. The floors were decent, and the frame was ok. It was essentially the start of an amateur resto. That's the good part.

The inerior was a mismatch of deluxe '70 door panels, wrong seats, and a '73 dash pad. There was no engine, but a 'vette LT1 was sitting on a stand nearby - I don't recall the dates. There was no transmission, it was supposedly installed in a van but that was not confirmed. The rear was incorrect, but it was a 12 bolt. There were many small incorrect items, but most of it was just simply missing - no fuel lines, no clips/bolts/brackets, etc... As you know there is a lot of money in the detail items.

My advice to this enthusiast was to 'run'. There was no way he could pay the asking price, dump money into it and get enough profit whereby his 50% share would even remotely cover his resto costs and his buy price. He did exactly that, and sent the car back to the owner.

What is has now in terms of '#'s matching' is open to interpretation.

mockingbird812
01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
DEUCE Police - on the scene! Good info Marlin!

Xplantdad
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I agree...Wow!

COPO PETE
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

9737 Sports Car Conversion - This deleted F40 and M-20, and added the F-41 suspension (which included the addition of a 13/16" front sway bar and added a rear sway bar, and was originally an SS only option), either the M-21 or 400 Turbo-Hydramatic transmission, and a special heat-treated ring and pinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Marlin and I will always agree to disagree on this point. My COPO came with a M20. Original owner says so and so does Dave Mathers, who ordered both COPO cars. In ALL other Canadian COPO's, whether it be a Camaro or a Chevelle, what ever tranny was ordered on the GM of Canada sheets, that tranny was never deleted like the L78 was.I believe the sports car conversion also deleted the 6 inch wheels, that would have come on a small block car and added 7 inch wheels.
Peter http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
PS Excellent report Marlin!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep, Pete and I agree to just shake hands and leave it be http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

bigchevydaddy
01-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Did the Auto/Stick shifter in the TH400 Deuces use the bolt-on stick or the welded-on version? Thanks, BCD.

bigchevydaddy
01-31-2010, 03:58 AM
bump

DeanBitner
01-01-2012, 06:54 AM
As the last "colorful" Arkansas owner, I know a great deal about this car. It is absolutely not the original drivetrain to the car. It was indeed a Cliff Peck car that was damaged in shipment, hence the repaint and absence of original stripes. the repaint from 1970 lasted until 1987-88 ? when I sold the car to the aforementioned collector.

The car sold new in Little Rock, roamed central Arkansas for a brief time before being purchased by a used car dealer in Rogers, Arkansas. Blood's Sport City was the dealers name in Rogers. The car sold to a young lady whose mother owned an area restaurant. I think this girl and her boyfriend/husband re-motored the car during the time they owned it.

She sold it to a man named Hoyt Williford in Farmington, Arkansas who bought it for one of his kids. They blew the engine up and I bought the car sitting on car ramps with the crankshaft hanging out of the oil pan. Well, pieces of it anyway. The original transmission was gone. The car had a 10 bolt in it for a rear end.

I bought the next to last set of Yenko Deuce stripes on the shelf in 1988. I paid about 200.00 for them and they were black. I have sent the original Yenko box to the current owner of the car and he assures me it will stay with it. I don't know why I kept the box for 20 + years, but I'm glad I did. I was gathering parts for the car and found a correct short shaft TH400, I robbed the 12 bolt out of a 1970 396 ? SS Nova, I don't remember where I found a "correct" block, I had the correct heads already on the blown up engine, and I bought an NOS Dixco tach for the car.

The car was rock solid and no floor pans needed replacing. They had never been replaced either. The car was still wearing ALL of its' original sheet metal including the bumpers.

I sold the car in the fall of 1988 and used the money to pay for the down payment on my first home.

Anyone who wants to know more about this car is welcome to call me anytime at 479-263-3326. I talk a lot better than I type.

Thanks, Dean

John
01-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Dean, Great way to start the new year.... Welcome to the site.

... Now go find some old photos of the car.

...... Happy New Year <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Charley Lillard
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the site Dean and thanks for the great info.

bergy
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I agree - thanks for your input Dean. Marlin says it was unrestored &amp; sheet metal appeared replaced - Dean says all original sheet metal??? It's kind of important. Anybody know for sure?

Schonyenko2
01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I believe that it had a left qtr patch on it when we stripped it. Behind the wheel. It was lft, or right can't remember for sure. Not a big deal, but not 100% original if that's what you're asking.

Do you have any knowledge of the original, or any owners of the red Peck deuce? I own that car and have never been able to get back to any Ark owner other than the bank that held the note.

Just in passing, we heard a story that when that blue deuce ran the streets in Little rock it was pretty fast, also heard it had a 454 in it at one time Any truth to those stories?

DeanBitner
01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
The top of the car and perhaps the sides had substantial damage caused by a chain falling from the upper deck onto the car during transport. It dented and damaged the top and perhaps the quarters. The car was repainted by the folks at Peck Chevrolet and that was the paint it was wearing when I acquired it in ( I THINK ) late 1985.

I know about the damage through a long convoluted story that I haven't gotten into here. If you want the details of how I came up with that info, I'll be glad to provide it but it will take several paragraphs. I am certain the story is true.

As I mentioned earlier I sold the car in the fall of 1988 to a guy in the northeast. His name was Bill. I thought he was from New York but Connecticut may be correct.

I know the car was wearing it's original tin because of the paint from 1970 and because I spoke to EVERY owner except the first. There were only 4 of us, excluding the dealers of course. I also spoke to the folks at Peck, some of whom remembered the car, including the guy who did the arrival inspection.

When that car left my home in 1988 it was 100 percent original body parts. It needed no panels replaced. It was absolutely rust free in every way having lived right here in Arkansas since new. I am also safe in saying that the entire drivetrain with the sole exception of possibly the cylinder heads and driveshaft, was 100 percent NOT ORIGINAL.

I'm sure of it.

DeanBitner
01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Your red Deuce is not one I am familiar with any history on. Send me as much info as you have on city, bank, etc... and I'll see what I can dig up.

I have spoken to you previously on the phone about both cars and I think I'm the guy who first told you there was actually a Cortez Silver sister to the red and blue cars. Again, I researched this car heavily after I bought it trying to save as much of its' history as possible. I missed the original Peck information by just a few months. They purged their records and anything older than 10 years was recycled. The files on the red, blue and silver cars were in the stuff lost to the shredders.

I too heard the rumors of a big block. I cannot verify it and I haven't found anyone who could. I can tell you the car was an overlooked piece here in NW Arkansas. I know lots of folks who street raced in the 70's and none of them remember the car here in our part of the state. Remember though, there were no stripes on the car. If you didn't notice the Yenko emblems on the fender and deck or if you didn't see the DEUCE declas on the door panels... you'd never know it was anything special. The girl who owned it second had no interest in the collector car status and neither did the third owners. To them, it was just transportation.

Schonyenko2
01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
You are correct about the transport damage. The roof had some chain dents, but nothing structural. The info we had was that the hood was replaced and that the original tach was destroyed. It was our understanding that the car was sold without a hood tach. We cut the hole in the hood for the tach that came with the car.
I don't know who put the patch panel in. It was there when we striped it. There was some dings and dents most likley due to the swinging chain on that qrt also. If you look at the rear marker lights you can notice that one, again I believe it's the lft, is not in the same spot as the other side which has had no sheet metal work. The stamp on the replacement patch panel is off a little. I would have liked to have changed that out, but the owner at the time was not concerned as it's something that 99.9% of the people who look at it will never notice.

And you are correct, it has no original drive line.

It is, or was when it was done, a good solid piece, that was a very cool car to drive, and enjoy.

Schonyenko2
01-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I do remember talking to you now. The name sounded familiar.
BTW we've found the original silver deuce owner.

DeanBitner
01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
The damage to the top was superficial and required a little filler to repair. The absence of the hole in the hood always baffled me. I spoke to Vince Emme about it and he told me it was possible the car had no hood tach from Yenko. If the hood was replaced by Peck, that would explain why none of the owners ever knew about it. I humbly stand corrected.

The car had a black plastic steering wheel rather than the aluminum 3 spoke in it now. It also had an automatic steering column in it, complete with the column shifter boss. There were a number of things about it that seemed odd to me at the time.

The patch panel is news to me. There seemed to be absolutely no rust anywhere on the car. I don't know who or when the panel was put in but it had to have been after it left Arkansas.

I've got several photos of the car somewhere that I'll have to find. I'll post them here soon. Thinking back, it was kind of sad looking really. Sitting there in the middle of the other orphans I had rescued from the salvage yard or crusher, or someones back yard. A 65 2+2 Pontiac with a 421 I think, a 67 426 Hemi Fury III (one of three), a couple of 69 428 SCJ Fairlane Cobras, a 70 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator, a 70 429 Torino Cobra, a 71 351 Torino Cobra, a 69 375/396 SS Chevelle etc ...

Man I wish I had some of those cars back !

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Dean! Great to have you here, it's been many years since we talked. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif If there is one person in Arkansas who knows of the rare cars in the area - it's Dean!

I went to see the car in CT a long time ago, but it was not at Bill's place at that time - although it was still owned by Bill and ended up back at his place shortly thereafter. It was indeed a solid car, with black stripes, poor paint, no matching drivetrain, but a nice 'vette LT1 was on a stand along with a nice condition 12 bolt that was in the car. This was/is a good car.

Dean, tell us more about the silver Harrell Camaro that roamed your neck of the woods - the one that is now in MN! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

John Harding
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I have some photos of the car when it was in Bill's basement, I dont know how to post them but if anyone here does send me an Email and I will get them to you.
John

John Harding
01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
That hood scoop/tach on the red deuce, is that off a AMC Rebel &quot;The Machine&quot;?
John

Mr70
01-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Photos courtesy Of John Harding.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep - that's the one!