PDA

View Full Version : how can a MOTION car be verified ?

rav440
01-24-2010, 12:14 AM
hello all . i joined this site for a friend of mine who is not into computers . so ill be referring the info back to him .

about 20 years ago my friend bought a 1973 camaro Z28 from 2 brothers from eastern OH the Z was drag raced its whole life until it was put away for a time before my friend JOE got it . anyway the brothers whom JOE got the Z from told him that the guy they had got the car from said it was a MOTION car and the original woner was from NJ . about 10 years ago car craft or hot rod did a story on Joel Rosen and how he would like to find out how many were left it gave contact info for him so i passed the info onto JOE , he had contacted JOEL and he told JOE that it would be $1500.00 to verify it was a true MOTION car .
JOE was fine with the fee of $1500.00 to have it documented then asked JOEL " what if it isnt one of your cars ? " JOELs respounce was " have you ever been to ATLANTIC CITY ? "

that was the last of the covo between JOE & JOEL .

i have seen JOE in almost 8 years till today and we got to talking and i told him i would find a web board for COPO cars because these guys will know the answers as to what would be true identifiers of a BALDWIN MOTION CAMARO so just maybe the fee to JOEL will not be such a gamble .

i will post photos of the Z shotly although it has since been repainted .

thanks in advance for all your help .

PxTx
01-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Doesn't sound like the car has been untouched for all of these years so I'm not sure anything would there would be much of a clue. Do you beleive the car is a "Motion" car meaning it ws taken to Joel for work after it's sale from the dealer? I think by 1973 Balwdin Chevrolet changed names- so pretty good chance that it's not a Baldwin Motion car.

I would start by searching previous owners with the VIN in the states you know it had been registerd in. They should get you some clues and maybe even some early pictures. From that you may be able to speculate better.

There are really no consistant true identifiers. Anything which is used as a clue is also dependant upon the time period is was at Motion. For example, Joel's preference on parts to use were certainly different on his 1967 and 68 car than later 1970-72 cars. That is not to even say 1970-72 was consistant.

Assuming it is just a story right now. How was the car supposed to have been prepped by Motion? Small block, big block, hp adders?

rav440
01-24-2010, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound like the car has been untouched for all of these years so I'm not sure anything would there would be much of a clue. Do you beleive the car is a "Motion" car meaning it ws taken to Joel for work after it's sale from the dealer? I think by 1973 Balwdin Chevrolet changed names- so pretty good chance that it's not a Baldwin Motion car.

I would start by searching previous owners with the VIN in the states you know it had been registerd in. They should get you some clues and maybe even some early pictures. From that you may be able to speculate better.

There are really no consistant true identifiers. Anything which is used as a clue is also dependant upon the time period is was at Motion. For example, Joel's preference on parts to use were certainly different on his 1967 and 68 car than later 1970-72 cars. That is not to even say 1970-72 was consistant.

Assuming it is just a story right now. How was the car supposed to have been prepped by Motion? Small block, big block, hp adders?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is a big block 402 , as i stated ill know more once JOE gets me more info on the car plus photos the CAMARO is a Z28 but they were all small blocks , not saying that anyone could have tossed in a BB thru the years . but as JOE was told by the one of the 2 brothers the guy that baught the Z from was from NJ and bought the car from BM if that is true or not we dont know nor did JOE buy the Z based solely on that in fact that wasnt even a factor to the sale .

JOE is just trying to find out if there is anyway that would let him know that just maybe it is worth caughing up the $1500.00 to have it confirmed by JOEL .

just for starters the info i know is the A arms and brake lines are totaly differnt from a SB Z .

hopefully ill have the pics soon and ill post them when i get them .

thanks http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Mr70
01-24-2010, 03:31 AM
I believe Joel is charging $2000 today.

RichSchmidt
01-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Maybe start with an NICB report.They are hard to get,but at least it would tell you if the car was sold new at a dealer in that area.After that,sand the car down and see what colors it was when it had the Motion paint on it.I heard that there were a few 73's converted when new that had white interiors.There werent many "new car" conversions done on 73 Camaros,and it is speculated that only a few came from Baldwin at the very begining of the 72 season when some 73 cars were sent out as dealer stock to make up for the 6 month shortage of 1972 cars.I think those were the 3 supposed white interior cars but I cold be wrong.There could have been many 73's converted as used cars in later year,thats goin to be hard to document without Joel's assistance.If your plans were to sell this car for more money because ofit's Motion pedigree,it wont mean anything until it has a letter from Joel.

rav440
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe start with an NICB report.They are hard to get,but at least it would tell you if the car was sold new at a dealer in that area.After that,sand the car down and see what colors it was when it had the Motion paint on it.I heard that there were a few 73's converted when new that had white interiors.There werent many "new car" conversions done on 73 Camaros,and it is speculated that only a few came from Baldwin at the very begining of the 72 season when some 73 cars were sent out as dealer stock to make up for the 6 month shortage of 1972 cars.I think those were the 3 supposed white interior cars but I cold be wrong.There could have been many 73's converted as used cars in later year,thats goin to be hard to document without Joel's assistance.If your plans were to sell this car for more money because ofit's Motion pedigree,it wont mean anything until it has a letter from Joel.

[/ QUOTE ]

the Z isnt goig to be sold anytime soon maybe in 10 - 15 years from now . JOE would just like to know if it is or isnt . a fee of $2000.00 for a YES or NO answer is a bit extrem . JOE has no problem paying the sum for it to be documented but a lower fee for a YES/NO answer would be fair , meaning the send a cashiers check for $400.00-$500.00 for the YES/NO answer then if it is send the remaining $1600.00 for documentation

motionwannabe
01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
If it is indeed a MOTION the 2000.00 gamble is well worth it if it is. There are alot of cars that people claim are Motion cars which arent. Are any of the MOTION emblems on the car? Do you have pics? If you want help you ahve to post more info