PDA

View Full Version : Golden Mile Motors Ltd.

COPO CARTEL
09-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know anything about Golden Mile Motors Ltd. in Scarborough, Ontario thanks Doug

PeteLeathersac
09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Now you're talkin!!!
Golden Mile sold lots of performance cars back in the day also the owner bought Gorries Chev in the late 60's which was a VERY active hi-performance and racing dealer also the same people who built the '67 Camaro Black Panther dealer specials!.
The reason I'm mentioning the Gorries connection is we looked at a '69 Copo car here in the past that had GM Vintage Canada paperwork showing delivered to Gorries dealer code well after they were long out of business!.
We never did reach a final conclusion on this but if the Gorries dealer Code was kept alive and some of the Golden Mile business flowed through it, GM Canada Vintage paperwork won't reflect the Golden connection and the any paperwork and car w/ it may be suspect like the other car was again being Gorries was long gone in 1969?.

Back to Golden Mile, I believe they shut their doors 5 or so years ago now?.
Google maps is playing tricks on me right now but try the address and 'drive' along Eglinton Ave. and you should see the empty buildings or if pics are recent it may be Toytota dealer or something else now?.

Zone # 95?
Dealer Code # ?

Golden Mile Chevy/Olds
1765 Eglinton Ave E,
North York ON, M4A 1J8
416-759-2201

Here's a pic of a Golden Mile dealer emblem...click to enlarge..
Years used?.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_75/117_61/Golden_MileToronto-vi646-th.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_75/117_61/Golden_MileToronto-vi646.jpg)

Google around and your sure to find info/cars delivered though Golden Mile!.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

COPO CARTEL
09-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Pete, can you call me I have a question about 2 dealerships Thanks Doug 614-203-1272

PeteLeathersac
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Great talking w/ you on the phone Doug!.
No-go on sending a PM your way...please email me @ the address in my profile..

~ Pete

COPO CARTEL
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Andy, I tried to send you an email at the address but it bounced back to me. Doug 614-203-1272

PeteLeathersac
09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Did you take out the 'removemefirst' spam protection part before sending?.
Click on the email in my profile, when the new email opens lose the 'removemefirst' part from the address and try again!.

~ Pete

I wonder if anyone saved the cool Golden Mile sign?.
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_75/119_215/GoldenMileSign-vi-th.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_75/119_215/GoldenMileSign-vi.jpg)

COPO CARTEL
09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I will do that Andy Thanks

Canuck
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49/paulolds/Argentia1972.jpg

The silver 442 on the left side of thsi photo was delivered at Golden Mile in 1968. a friend of mine ordered it new at Hickmans in St.John's and had it delivered to Golden and then driven back to Newfoundland.

Paul

midyr
09-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Gorries Downtown Chev-Olds on Gerrard Street East in Toronto was owned by Bert Sykes, who ran out of room to expand and, after buying property in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough on a stretch of Eglinton Ave known as The Golden Mile, sold the Gerrard St property to Ryerson University and moved to the newly constructed premises in Scraborough, renamed it Golden Mile Motors, around 1967-68. Sykes subsequently sold the dealership to Brian Rowntree. I knew both Sykes and Rountree, as well as most of the key employees. Gorries/Golden Mile specialized in Corvettes, mainly due to salesman Gerrie Coffee, a great guy who unfortunately passed years ago. Dealer code 95526.

Tracker1
09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
My 1971 Placer Gold LS5 M22 SS454 was delivered new at Golden Mile - it is on the GM of Canada documentation as the receiving dealership.

PeteLeathersac
09-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification Lance!.
I was thinking both Gorries and the Goldon Mile dealership were in operation for a period of time but reading your above info it was Gorries then Golden Mile, no overlapping time w/ both operating?.

So were there 2 separate dealer Codes?.
If Gorries was 95-526, was G'Mile the same or different?.
Again looking at some GM Vintage paperwork, it's possible both Dealer Codes were being used while Golden Mile was in operation?.
Tracker what Dealer Code is indicated on your 71 LS5 car's GM Vintage Services info?.

~ Pete

midyr
09-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Pete, as soon as I sent the post I realized it needed correcting (it isn't so much a memory deal as much as we just didn't register a lot of this stuff back then cause it wasn't important). Yes, Gorries and Golden Mile did operate at the same time, and actually, for a number of years. My memory came back when I realized I bought my first new car, a 1963, from Golden Mile. So here is the deal as I recall it: Gorries and Golden Mile were both owned by Bert Sykes in the early to mid 1960s, Gorries was definitely the older of the dealerships, and I'm taking an educated guess that Bert opened Golden Mile in the early 1960s, maybe '61 or '62. We know Gorries closed down around 1967-68, and some employees went to Golden Mile. I am not sure when Sykes sold Golden Mile to Brian Rountree, but Brian owned it in 1969 for certain. It is entirely likely there was some lag or overlap in GM paperwork and dealer codes, but it would be of little consequence as they were really under the same ownership at the time Gorries ceased to exist and things transferred to Golden Mile. I will check to see if I have different dealer codes for each.

Tracker1
09-25-2010, 01:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteLeathersac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the clarification Lance!.
I was thinking both Gorries and the Goldon Mile dealership were in operation for a period of time but reading your above info it was Gorries then Golden Mile, no overlapping time w/ both operating?.

So were there 2 separate dealer Codes?.
If Gorries was 95-526, was G'Mile the same or different?.
Again looking at some GM Vintage paperwork, it's possible both Dealer Codes were being used while Golden Mile was in operation?.
Tracker what Dealer Code is indicated on your 71 LS5 car's GM Vintage Services info?.

~ Pete
</div></div>

Pete I mis-remembered as the politicians say, apologies.

My '71 SS454 was originally delivered to Peleshuk Motors (dealer 95008) in Ajax, Ontario. The original owner had it only a matter of months before he traded it in at Golden Mile. From there a gentleman by the name of Erni Lunter purchased the Chevelle off the lot at Golden Mile as an almost brand-new car. The salesman he dealt with at Golden Mile was Joe Morrow.

scuncio
10-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Golden Mile used the same vendor as Central Chevrolet to cast their dealer emblems (Aristo-Cast of Winnipeg). I have a couple Golden West emblems and they are of unbelievable quality, just beautiful.

PeteLeathersac
10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Cool info and they are similar!.
I was drooling over the below Central emblem the other day that a guy up here scored on eBoy recently..

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_75/114_251/CentraltagHauserBA-vi-th.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_75/114_251/CentraltagHauserBA-vi.jpg)

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_75/117_61/Golden_MileToronto-vi646-th.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_75/117_61/Golden_MileToronto-vi646.jpg)

~ Pete

67BelAir427
10-21-2010, 03:55 AM
I had the pleasure of talking to Gerrie Coffee years ago and he had saved every sales invoice and dealer paperwork for every Corvette he ever sold at Gorries. Do you know what happened to all those boxes of priceless documents after his demise? I suspected that many wanted to get their hands on that paper. I suggested to him that he could sell them through the NCRS and donate the proceeds to his favourite charity. Marc

midyr
10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Gerrie died a few years ago. I knew Gerrie from the early 1960s on, he was a great guy. He had two brothers, I will see if I can't track one down.

Lance Hill

ZiggyL78
01-20-2011, 03:19 AM
I have a lot of old memories about Golden Mile.I lived with my parents at Warden and Lawrence.My cousin and I would walk to Golden Mile every September to see them unveil the new Chevys.I still remember back in 63 when we went there and the salesman pulled the cover off a brand new 64 black on black Impala SS.I was only 14.My father bought most of his Chevys from there about every 2 or 3 years.I still remember his 57,59,61, and 63 Impala.The 63 was white on black with a white vinyl roof.Everyone thought it was a convertible because vinyl roofs were fairly new back then.When I turned 19 I went to Belmont Chev Olds and bought my first car from Dave Mackay.It was a 69 SS Camaro 350-300 4 speed with 4.10s.It was stock except for a tricked out Lance Hill Quadrajet.It was a 14 second car but I thought it was a rocket.LOL.I was fairly tough on rear ends and went to Golden Mile for warrentie work.Rick Eaton was well known for building a strong rear end.I'm sure Lance has lots of stories about Crazy Rick.Not many of the mechanics liked him as he was a bitch to get along with.I just kissed his ass and he took care of me.I went to the track many times with Rick and his Super Stock 396-325 Camaro.I can still remember him doing a spin wheel start leaving the line at about 5000 RPM with the tires smoking.No one built any good converters back then.Mike and Olie Stephen also ran in Super Stock.Mike had a LS6 convertible.Many a 396 car went through those doors for a little warrentie tune and left with a 427-425.I still don't know how they pulled that off so many times.In the early 80s I bought my 69 COPO Camaro from a friend.It was originally from Golden Mile.Someone blew the 427 and when I got it it had a LS7 in it with 5.38 gears and a 4 speed.I didn't get beat very many times on the street with that car.It ran 11.1s and would bust an axle about every 4 passes if I didn't change it first.On the street with L60 Ingelwoods it wouldn't hook till 3rd gear.It was stupid fast.Oh the memorys!

1967Z28
01-23-2011, 01:06 AM
The invoice I have for Craig Fisher's '67 Z-28 is signed J. Coffey next to where it says &quot;salesman&quot;. This would seem to suggest he went by Jerry Coffey rather than Gerrie Coffee. The J. Coffey is also on a second related document I have.

-Jon

midyr
01-23-2011, 02:41 PM
My entry above was corrected elsewhere in the Forum. Jerry is alive and well at 86 years of age and I am in regular contact with him. He recently gave me all of his sales files going back to 1953.

P.J.
01-29-2011, 03:31 AM
Real Nice to have
PJ

427strato
03-08-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm relatively new here and this is my first post. I noticed along with the dealer emblems shown in a prior post there was one of B &amp; A Chevrolet which was located in the Yorkville area of Toronto. I may have missed postings on this dealership however I always thought they were one of the major dealers in hi-po cars in the Toronto area. I was looking at a 375 hrs Nova in their window in September of 1969 and eventually traded my 435 hrs Vette on a 69 Copo Chevelle from a salesman at that dealership by the name of Joe . The 70's were out and they had three of the five Copo Chevelles they had that year in a compound up on Avenue Rd. They had just been bought out or amalgamated with Addison Chev. Olds and were moving up to Steeles Ave. The cars in the compound were two dark green Chevelles and one blue. I remember Joe had said they also had a yellow and an orange one which they had sold previously. He eventually went to Don Howson Chev Olds and the last time I spoke with him he had gone to North York Chev Olds however this was in 1973. I still have the original blue emblem from the grille and the dealer emblem floating around in the top of my toolbox. I suppose his name is on my original bill of sale, which I also have, together with the broadcast and shipping copies. I remember B &amp; A advertised 427-425 hrs Chevelles, Camaros and Biscaynes in Wheelspin back then. This is likely the wrong place to post this however it is what it is. Thanks.

Xplantdad
03-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Very cool Douglas!

Welcome <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

PeteLeathersac
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome aboard Douglas!.

I've enjoyed your input on the CP site before also love what I've seen of your MK1V Strato-Chief especially being it's a '68 and last year for the Post unlike '69 was for Chevys!.
Great Toronto memories...and Wheelspin news!.
Sounds like the Chevelles may include Keith T's bro in laws car?.

~ Pete

mroth
11-17-2013, 05:13 PM
I work with Jerry for years at Golden Mile. Ate lunch with him @ Duckworth's twice a week. Used to go visit his wife with him at The Bay in Eglinton Square.

Any more info about him?

midyr
11-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Send me a PM. I have Jerry's number.

firstgenaddict
12-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Is the peruvian Silver 68 442 conv still around?

300deluxeL79
03-17-2015, 12:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZiggyL78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a lot of old memories about Golden Mile.I lived with my parents at Warden and Lawrence.My cousin and I would walk to Golden Mile every September to see them unveil the new Chevys.I still remember back in 63 when we went there and the salesman pulled the cover off a brand new 64 black on black Impala SS.I was only 14.My father bought most of his Chevys from there about every 2 or 3 years.I still remember his 57,59,61, and 63 Impala.The 63 was white on black with a white vinyl roof.Everyone thought it was a convertible because vinyl roofs were fairly new back then.When I turned 19 I went to Belmont Chev Olds and bought my first car from Dave Mackay.It was a 69 SS Camaro 350-300 4 speed with 4.10s.It was stock except for a tricked out Lance Hill Quadrajet.It was a 14 second car but I thought it was a rocket.LOL.I was fairly tough on rear ends and went to Golden Mile for warrentie work.Rick Eaton was well known for building a strong rear end.I'm sure Lance has lots of stories about Crazy Rick.Not many of the mechanics liked him as he was a bitch to get along with.I just kissed his ass and he took care of me.I went to the track many times with Rick and his Super Stock 396-325 Camaro.I can still remember him doing a spin wheel start leaving the line at about 5000 RPM with the tires smoking.No one built any good converters back then.Mike and Olie Stephen also ran in Super Stock.Mike had a LS6 convertible.Many a 396 car went through those doors for a little warrentie tune and left with a 427-425.I still don't know how they pulled that off so many times.In the early 80s I bought my 69 COPO Camaro from a friend.It was originally from Golden Mile.Someone blew the 427 and when I got it it had a LS7 in it with 5.38 gears and a 4 speed.I didn't get beat very many times on the street with that car.It ran 11.1s and would bust an axle about every 4 passes if I didn't change it first.On the street with L60 Ingelwoods it wouldn't hook till 3rd gear.It was stupid fast.Oh the memorys! </div></div>

old thread, but here is a shot of rick eatons '69 Z running SS/GA with gorries and golden mile sponsorship...

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/03/full-4800-23063-drag_70_02.jpg

JayR
06-28-2015, 08:23 PM
We have a Golden Mile L79 Nova SS in the Canadian L79 Registry. Built February 15, 1966. It's a very rare 3 speed manual on the column with PB, PS, Strato Headrests and rear speaker. Finished in Laurel Mist Metallic, which was known as Willow Green in the U.S. The car is undergoing restoration in Kentucky.

Bob

SPORTSMEATBALL
01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Anyone know anything about Golden Mile Performance upgrades on 1996 SS IMPALA ?

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/01/full-419-37078-ss11.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/01/full-419-37079-ss3edited.jpg
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2016/01/full-419-37080-ss5edited.jpg

scuncio
06-09-2016, 02:41 AM
Great price on a Golden Mile emblem:

http://ebay.to/22SbMLZ

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-uQAAOSw3mpXIAOt/s-l1600.jpg

fsc66
06-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Peter posted the zone code of 95, dealar code was both 526 and 529.

Paul Winvoices