PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Yenko Trans Am

Stefano
03-30-2011, 12:00 AM
1975 Yenko Trans Am (http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0511-108142)

To be auctioned "With Reserve" at Mecum Indy 2011

Flight427
03-30-2011, 03:17 AM
1975 Pontiac Yenko Trans Am - Lot F169 (http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0511-108142)
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/SC0511/SC0511-108142/images/SC0511-108142_1.jpg
<span style="font-weight: bold">To be offered at Mecum Indy Spring Classic
on Friday, May 20 around 4:30pm.</span>

The original owner of this unique 1975 Firebird Trans Am had one goal: to rule over everything else in town, including the ’74 T/A SD driven by the local Pontiac dealer’s son.

With that in mind, he took the Silver ‘Bird to Yenko Chevrolet, where Don and Frank advised him that an L88 427 CI big block would do the trick. The craftsmen at Yenko Chevrolet fabricated the engine mounts, power steering and starter brackets and other hardware to facilitate the conversion, and installed 4.10 gears to maximize the L88’s considerable effect.

The result is this all-powerful Yenko L88 Trans Am, the only one known to exist. With just 13,000 miles on the clock, it is as fresh and powerful as the day it was completed. In the best Yenko tradition, the car’s history is completely documented, including the full ownership trail, title copies, all Yenko receipts and records and a listing in the Pontiac Historical Society.

- Yenko Super Car conversion
- L88 427/430 HP engine
- Extremely original unrestored condition
- Complete owner history from day 1
- 4-speed transmission
- Featured in Super Car reunion
- Registered with Yenko.net

Lynn
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Not denigrating this car at all, because it is a cool car, but here is a classic example of how things get distorted over the years. QUOTE: &quot;The craftsmen at Yenko Chevrolet fabricated the engine mounts, power steering and starter brackets and other hardware to facilitate the conversion.&quot;

I put a 427 Chevy into a kid's 75 trans am back in 1980 (I had put a small block Chevy into his buddy's 240Z and Trans Am boy wanted to one up him). Didn't need to fabricate anything. Got engine stands for an early 2nd gen big block Camaro; measured, located and drilled holes in the Pontiac subframe. No &quot;starter bracket&quot; to fabricate. Just bolt up the starter and use the Chevy support bracket. As for power steering, we just used all Chevy bracketry from a junk yard. Had to relocate the batter (IIRC) and used Camaro tray. All factory parts. Install looked factory. Located all parts ahead of time and did the swap in one day. Could have even hooked up the A/C, but he didn't want it.

Still, a really cool car. Just don't believe there was any serious fabrication involved in the swap.

sYc
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I bet according to Yenko they had to fabricate everything.

1969z280
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Lynn:

According to the original Yenko Chevrolet Work Order signed by Frank Yenko, they did the following:

Install L88 Engine
R&amp;R gas tank cutout neck for high test gas
Build distributor for engine
Fabricate motor mounts
Fabricate alternat and p.s. brackets
Fabricate accelerator linkage
Rewire alternator, starter and gauges
Install new oil pan and starter nose
Fabricate new gas line
Install 4.10 Gearset
Install Lakewood bell housint
Operational Checkup

This is how the receipt reads. There are also 3 receipts for parts and 1 signed by Don Yenko for the L88 Enagine

Ed

1969z280
04-02-2011, 03:58 PM
When you have work performed at a Chevrolet Dealership, even back in the day, they delineate what was done and charge you for it. I don't feel anything has been distorted over time. Everything stated in the listing is completely documented with the original Yenko paperwork. Ed

bashton
04-02-2011, 04:55 PM
No matter what, that is one Bad-Azzz car. Imagine being the guy cruising around in an L88 powered 1975 Trans Am back then; now THAT is the epitome of &quot;cool&quot;

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

Flight427
04-09-2011, 02:37 AM
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/SC0511/SC0511-108142/images/SC0511-108142_4.jpg http://www.mecum.com/auctions/SC0511/SC0511-108142/images/SC0511-108142_5.jpg

CHIP
05-22-2011, 10:54 PM
So, what happened with your Trans Am? I recorded the Mecum auction and watched everyday except for the tuesday that they added at the last moment. I was rally hoping to hear more about it and see it in action.

wheelhop
05-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Did not meet reserve.

Lynn
05-22-2011, 11:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1969z280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lynn:

According to the original Yenko Chevrolet Work Order signed by Frank Yenko, they did the following:

Install L88 Engine
R&amp;R gas tank cutout neck for high test gas
Build distributor for engine
Fabricate motor mounts
Fabricate alternat and p.s. brackets
Fabricate accelerator linkage
Rewire alternator, starter and gauges
Install new oil pan and starter nose
Fabricate new gas line
Install 4.10 Gearset
Install Lakewood bell housint
Operational Checkup

This is how the receipt reads. There are also 3 receipts for parts and 1 signed by Don Yenko for the L88 Enagine

Ed
</div></div>

Ed:

Guess I missed this post back in April. Again: I hope everyone understands, I am in no way trying to show disrespect for the car. It is a really cool car, and a part of Yenko history. I do know from experience that virtually everything for this swap was available over the counter or salvage yards. Also, changing out a starter nose is a bit different from fabricating starter brackets. Maybe to them, drilling holes in the subframe for Chevy mounts was equivalent to fabricating motor mounts. I am not second guessing the car or the work done at Yenko. Perhaps some of the work was &quot;puffed&quot; just a bit to help justify the cost. Doesn't take ANYTHING away from the car.

Lynn

Z28DL
05-24-2011, 07:38 AM
I could not find the results. How high was the car bid to?
Thanks,
Dave L.
SoCal

1969z280
05-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Dave,

It bid up to $73K. That wasn't going to get it. The TA can hang around my place as long as it wamts. Ed

sYc
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
A very cool car...no doubt a blast to drive.

Would love to see it make a pass at the SCR.

Stefano
10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Come see this Yenko in person at MCACN!

bashton
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come see this Yenko in person at MCACN! </div></div>

And even better, meet the owner, who really is a great guy!

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

John Harding
01-14-2012, 07:42 AM
I think the reason this car did not bring more at auction are several reasons. Although I would never dispute or disrespect the fact that this is a beautiful car, a few things do make it differ from a true Yenko dealer car, first it is a cross breed, not a problem for a custom built car, but the true Yenkos were not in that classification. Although real Yenko's have been referred to as &quot;conversions&quot;, which they really were not. Shelbys were not built at the actual factory, they were shipped to another factory to be made into Shelbys. While the drive line components were put in on the assembly line, all the external Shelby equipment was done at the final factory, or what is known as final assembly or final manufacturing location, still under Fords watchful eye on new vehicles. This is even referred to in the Ford Marti Report. The Firebird differs in this respect: It had already been final built at the Pontiac plant and sold through a pontiac dealer under warranty. The title then transfered to the new private owner. He then took a privately owned &quot;used car&quot; to yenko for the conversion, and when compleated it was returned to the owner, and no doubt voiding the Pontiac warranty, Yenko's cars were actually the final assembly or manufacturing point which was sanctioned and warrantied by Chevrolet. What makes it noteable is the fame of the Yenko dealer. If the same &quot;used&quot; firebird were taken to John Doe Chevrolet in anytown USA for the same work, thats want it would have amounted to, a service order for drivetrain changes of the owners request. What truly seperates the Yenko Dealer cars is that they began with a factory copo, (with exception of early cars), and the rest of the mechanical and cosmetic design changes were actually done by Yenko designers and engineers,and backed by Chevrolet. Dont get me wrong, it is a beautiful, exceptional example of a trans am, the only difference being the service work done at a gm dealership, Yenko, rather then the Pontiac dealer that sold it new. That being said, I believe the last bid too low and would pay that in a heartbeat.
John

JoeC
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Yenko was approved by SCCA and FIA as a manufacturer same as Shelby American

A tagged Stinger is not a Corvair in the eyes of the SCCA and FIA. It is a sports car manufactured by Yenko SportsCars Inc.

Yenko used these same credentials to get approval by AHRA for the 1967 Yenko 427 Super Camaro to be sold as a legal 427 Camaro Super Stock drag car.