PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Museum in Pontiac, IL

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Here's some pictures from the Pontiac Museum grand opening last month in Pontiac, IL.

Pontiac IL is a wonderful little Mayberry-type town, very old fashioned, surrounded by farmland. There are huge Route 66 themed murals on many of the brick buildings. The center of the town square reminded me of 1955 Hill Valley from "Back To The Future"! There is also a little Route 66 Museum, as well as a War Museum, with more uniforms on display than I've ever seen. The War Museum has true VFW's on staff to answer your questions.

Anyway, as for the Pontiac Museum, it's small, but packed with fascinating material. For the grand opening, Arnie Beswick was there with his "Tameless Tiger", along with Jim Wangers, and designer Bill Porter, who helped design the 1969 Trans Am, and was instrumental in developing the 2nd Gen Firebird body and Trans Am package.

Tim Dye is the museum curator, and a super nice guy. The memorabilia on display is only about 1/3 of what he has, there just isn't enough room in the museum to display everything.

The museum library area was simply unreal. Factory manuals, huge binders filled with Pontiac bulletins, parts books, sales albums, and the material from the Oakland days up to 2010. Simply the most incredible collection we've ever seen. Like an old fashioned library, you need a ladder to get to the upper shelves! You could easily spend 8 hours there just doing research.

Here's some pics:

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
This is an incredible Pontiac hood ornament collection from the 30's to the 50's. Some very elaborate ornaments.

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Beswick's Tameless Tigers. That's Arnie in the background, center, wearing the dark sunglasses. Still as gracious as ever, and a great guy to talk to. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Some memorabilia :

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Some of the cars inside:

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Another shot of the 1968 RAII Firebird. Beautiful red on red with redlines. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
The Knafel 1966 GTO &quot;Tin Indian&quot;. This car absolutely dominated C/Stock in 1966, capturing more titles than any other GM manufacturer.

This car is beautiful in person. The gold accents are in gold chrome, matching the Hurst wheels.

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Some more of the museum memorabilia:

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
More cars:

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Jim Wangers was camped out by the Judge chassis all day. A pleasure to talk to, Jim has never lost his enthusiasm for Pontiacs.

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
One of the many murals around downtown Pontiac, many of the Cruisin' Tigers members spent time jockeying their cars around for photo opportunities.

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 07:36 PM
These original vintage Pontiac glasses were really a sight to see. There were also many vintage models, slot cars, and toys on display, but it was hard to get a lot of photos due to the crowds, and also because the flash off the camera would bounce back off the cabinet glass.

old5.0
08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
I was really happy to hear that this museum was becoming a reality. I need to get the kids up there sometime soon (as long as they don't mind if we show up in a Mustang <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif ).

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 08:15 PM
You can bring anything, even one of these beasts. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

StealthBird
08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
I have to admit, it was really something being at the grand opening. Tim Dye did a fantastic job on the museum, and we're hoping he can expand in the future. If you do make the drive, make sure to go through the Route 66 Museum, and if you're into military memorabilia, the War Museum was really cool, especially if you like to talk to veterans. There were at least 100 uniforms on display.

grantprix
08-14-2011, 06:47 PM
WOW! I'd really like to see that in person someday. Well done Tim! Thanks for sharing the photos. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif