PDA

View Full Version : 1970 GTO V0E OPTION "THE HUMBLER" VIDEO

smoke' em II
08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Video of a very cool option. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif Enjoy!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

1970 GTO &quot;V0E&quot; OPTION VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JACXH3HG8)

StealthBird
08-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for posting! That's a very cool option on early 1970 GTO's. Pontiac did some wild things back in the day, but this one apparently went to far. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

The only car to have Vacuum Operated Exhaust was the 1970 GTO, and only 233 were built before GM upper management ordered the setup to be disontinued....immediately! Apparently, it was the now famous &quot;Humbler&quot; commercial showing a silver 70 GTO cruising through a drive-in restaurant, where a young driver pulls open the VOE knob, rumbles through, then pulls out of the lot, apparently looking for street races. The commercial once during Super Bowl IV in 1970, and GM brass flipped out.

The factory diagrams for the VOE setup are pretty wild. It's amazing Pontiac actually produced something like this.

If you notice on original Ram Air brackets that sat under the dash, there's a section of the bracket that extends out. That's where the VOE cable would be if you ordered Ram Air and VOE. If you just ordered the VOE exhaust, the cable (and sticker) would in place of the Ram Air cable.

Walron Exhaust reproduces the entire VOE system, and it fits other A-Bodies as well! They've also done some VOE mufflers for other applications.

mockingbird812
08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Humbler's VOE commercial - &quot;This is the way it's going to be, baby!&quot; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZccI7aQOKnQ&amp;feature=related) <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif

SuperNovaSS
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
That commercial is awesome! Its no wonder it was pulled though

Jason

Goat Whore
11-01-2011, 04:34 AM
I have a 70 4 spd with the VOE option. Bought the car not knowing until I pulled the tank and found the build sheet. Was very excited!
I bought the complete kit from Waldrons. They are great guys.
I wonder how many true VOE cars are left?

69Tom
11-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Love that Humbler commercial. Such a great sounding exhaust and super cool option. Now most cars sound like blenders at best.

Mr70
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome Goat Whore
That's a great discovery.
Of the 233 1970 GTOs factory built with VOE,212 were hardtop coupes,21 were convertibles.Only available on the line from Nov.'69-Jan.'70.
All were &quot;YS&quot; 400cid/350 hp with either four-speed manual or Turbo Hydra-matic transmissions.

442w30
11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Mike, I read that Ram Air and VOE could not be ordered together. What's the truth on that? I recall that perhaps literature stated this, but production offered a different version.

StealthBird
11-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Diego, I'm not sure how many VOE cars were ordered with Ram Air, but that Ram Air bracket (for the GTO) was made for both VOE and Ram Air. The Ram Air bracket for the 69 Firebird is an entirely different shape, as Pontiac never intended to offer VOE on the Bird.