PDA

View Full Version : Is this 427 worth selling??

RichSchmidt
08-31-2011, 05:46 AM
In my race car right now I have a 2 bolt main 427 that is a 1965 date casting(date is kinda rough down near the bottom of the block)with the canister style oil filter(with spin on adapter). It is a clean .60 over with few runs on it,and it was decked. I also have a steel 427 crank in it but dont know what it is out of.

So heres my question. For a long time I was thinking of buying a good forged rotating kit to make it a 496. I was also thinking that a brand new Dart block would probably set me back about $2300. If I could sell this block and crank for even a few hundred less then that,I would buy a Dart block. The cost of the rotating kit is the same so a 572 would be close to the same cost as a 496.

So is there a big market for this block and any old steel crank sitting in it? It is curently running in my car.I dont want to take it out unless I am fairly certain I could get at least $1500 for the block and crank. Am I being unrealistic?

SuperNovaSS
08-31-2011, 06:28 AM
I would think so if it is a 942 block. I may even be interested. The crank does not have much value if it is the 6223 steel unit. The 7115 crank has value. Did you ask about this a few years ago?

Jason

RichSchmidt
09-01-2011, 04:12 AM
I hung the rods out of my last block and had this one sitting on the floor ready to go. I dont usually blow stuff up so I was collecting parts to make it a nice little street cruiser out of this block,I had some truck rods with good bolts and some 1063 heads,and was gonna build somthing to daily drive. When the old 427 scattered I just did what I had to do. Even the machine shop guy told me I shouldnt have used that rare block for a hot rod build. Now I am thinking it would be better to pass it along to a good home where it can live another 45 years rather then window it for no good reason. The crank isnt a nitride one. It isnt cross driled. It is 20 on the mains and 10 on the rods I think and I had the oil holes tear dropped. I dont like to crossdrill cranks,I would rather run 3/4 grooved main bearings.

I think with the parts Ihad(similar dated 1063 heads that I sold) it would have been a good way to build a 427/390.

How much of a rush would you be in. I definatly wouldnt be ready to take it apart until at least October. If you dont need it right now,then Email me in a month or so and see where I am at with it.