PDA

View Full Version : Day2 Shocks

Atuckman
10-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Looking for rear pair or a full set of period correct drag shocks for a 70 chevelle ahead of the MCACN. the cure-rdes i have arent going to work unfortunately. any other suggestions? leads?

thanks adam

whitetop
10-13-2011, 09:36 PM
If you are really in a pinch buy a set of heavy duty truck shocks with the same ends and length, paint them correct colors and have a vinyl graphics/decal shop make you up some decals. The books at Napa have all the specs/sizes in back of the catalog or go online.

Most people out there would not know the difference and they are difficult to see anyway.Roll em around on the garage floor for some period scrapes(patina) and maybe some weathering with a chemical mix and you will be all set.

Salvatore
10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
You are the MAN Dave!

Jeff Murphy
10-13-2011, 10:51 PM
The other thing you can do is buy these: KONI Classic Shocks at Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Koni/Product-Line/Koni-Classic-Shocks/Make/CHEVROLET/Model/CHEVELLE/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc&autoview=SKU) and carefully cut the "Classic" part of the decal off. They will look period correct.

whitetop
10-14-2011, 01:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are the MAN Dave! </div></div>

After going back and reading my response it appears I was winging it. There was an old article in a late 70's PHR mag from a shock tech article stated a Gabriel or Monroe shock spokesperson said they used truck shocks for their drag shocks due to the beefier housing and thicker shaft but incorporated proprietary valving (which you don't see of course) to make it a &quot;drag shock&quot;

The valving(90/10/70/30 etc) was in affect the only special &quot;drag&quot; portion of the shock..the rest was just an oem shock.

I believe Gabriel made all the shocks for Hurst.

PxTx
10-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Reproduction decals are available from CJ Pony Parts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/images/265/DEC075.jpg

Somehow I don't think reproduction is gonna be acceptable from comments Adam when he was shared pics of his vintage decals.

MosportGreen66
10-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Adam has stacks of those decals in his living room... he's asking about the physical shock.

Atuckman
10-14-2011, 04:32 PM
thank you for the suggestions. i bought two of the koni classics for the rear until i find an old set of cure-rides

appreciate the help
adam

Salvatore
10-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Nobody will ever know whats on your car Adam. Can hardly see them. A good decision on your part.