PDA

View Full Version : Barf

whitetop
10-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Car Craft is doing a '71 Dodge Demon in day 2 mode.

For front wheels they are using 12 spoke crows feet....you know the wheels that came on 1960-1963 era really light weight front engine dragsters and were obsolete by the mid 60's. Well at least they did not put Radir wheels on the back with pie crust wide whites.

Jeesh get the era correct at least...heck I would be happy they got it to +- 5 years. This is without a doubt the most screwed up speed part snafu I have ever seen and just put's bad misinformation out there to people just getting into this trend.

http://www.carcraft.com/multimedia/video...0450/index.html (http://www.carcraft.com/multimedia/videos-01/car-craft-dodge-demon-project-wheels-and-tires/10450/index.html)

markinnaples
10-31-2011, 09:38 PM
whitetop, I couldn't agree more. that car is no day 2 build, it's more of a pro street freelance project.

Tommy
10-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Similiar to the 55 chevy cover car on Hot Rod magazine this month. Sharp paint job and interior but they went with Wilwood Discs and didn't try to hide it and then installed Flowmasters. What's wrong with a pair of Smithey's mufflers or Thrush or glass pack or even straight pipes ? There are plenty of Brake options that would have been perfect for that car without bolting on the new stuff. The Dodge Demon is also a mixed up bunch of parts.

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

brent396
10-31-2011, 11:15 PM
The front rims yuk <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif

John Brown
10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Maybe you'll like them better on a Camaro with better color. By the way, there are only 10 spokes not 12.

tom406
11-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I don't think they've ever called this a &quot;Day-2&quot; build. I seem to recall references to early '70s Funny Car styling with respect to its monster back-half, and spindle mount 5 spokes (if not 10 spokes) were all the rage on '72 era Funny Cars.

Its a pretty whimsical build, and they've always described it as such in print.

Outside of concours restos and absolute &quot;era-correct, point in time&quot; modifieds, I think everyone's going to have to accept that there's a general style called &quot;retro&quot; that is an amalgamation of styling cues from different eras. There's a generation of enthusiasts who aren't precious about era-correct mods and utilize what they like and whats available to them. It may look &quot;wrong&quot; to some of us, but sometimes it works out pretty cool.

whitetop
11-01-2011, 02:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tom406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Outside of concours restos and absolute &quot;era-correct, point in time&quot; modifieds, I think everyone's going to have to accept that there's a general style called &quot;retro&quot; that is an amalgamation of styling cues from different eras. There's a generation of enthusiasts who aren't precious about era-correct mods and utilize what they like and whats available to them. It may look &quot;wrong&quot; to some of us, but sometimes it works out pretty cool. </div></div>

This site has always been about what is correct on the restoration side and I would bet most members and viewers who are into Day 2 come to this site's threads to see what is correct for their car and era and know they have a place to come to to ask questions, obtain parts etc.

Another very famous car site several years back pulled away from it's strict emphasis on certain types of cars and builds. Now on that site it's customary to see builds such as a 4 door late 50's Volvo gasser( I'm not kidding) and I have noticed since the owner started to allow those types of threads, the site quality has really dropped in value and they have really lost the hard core base.

I'm not the owner of this site and have no say other than my opinion (and I know I can be opinionated at times :)) but I feel let's try to keep this site Day 2 era correct and leave the caricature and grossly incorrect cars to the Car Crafts and other sites... a site people can look to for excellent information who want their car to stand above the rest.

I'm probably speaking out of turn but that is how I feel.