PDA

View Full Version : My Day 2 LS6 Corvette

11-02-2011, 02:47 AM
I stumbled across this today. And I figured it'd make some of you smile (no snide remarks about my legs...L-O-L). Taken with a high tech Instamatic in my future Father-In-Law's driveway; circa 1974.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad262/cscraba/Resize%20Album/LS6.jpg

The car was my for-real 1971 LS6 Corvette. The engine came out and was, uh, reworked a wee bit. Basically, the compression was upped and everything except the intake was swapped for LS7 hardware (all from the local Chevy dealer, by the way), then the entire works was balanced &amp; blueprinted. It had a set of Hooker headers, M/T valve covers and as you can see, five spoke wheels. With a 3.55:1 gear set and a rock crusher, it was absolutely huge fun on the highway <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif.

Wish I had it today. And I wish I was that young too!

Wayne

mockingbird812
11-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Great shot - Great car. Legs are fine Wayne, but about those black socks? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif

11-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Probably navy blue government issue socks ...which explains the hair...L-O-L.

WS

Xplantdad
11-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Cool stuff Wayne!

olredalert
11-02-2011, 04:33 PM
----Wayne,,,LS6s were huge fun stock!!! I can only imagine how much fun that one was. Value-wise Ill bet you wish you had that one back......Bill S

CC Rider
11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Nice Vette!

11-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. FYI, through radar, the car ran 156 and change; with the tach needle hanging around 7,000 RPM. And it got there real quick &lt;g&gt;. Back then, it was a pretty serious piece <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

And like so many others here, this Corvette and bunch of other really cool cars have passed through my hands. I have sales regret over plenty of 'em.... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Wayne

mockingbird812
11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Nice Wayne - serious performance. I'll bet she would have tolerated lower numeric gears for even greater top end speed <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif. BTW, what was the speed rating of the tires you ran on that 156 mph run? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif

11-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I do think it would have pulled a taller gear. There was actually plenty of gas pedal left at the big end. I just didn't want to ventilate the oil pan... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Tires...we (at least &quot;I&quot;) didn't know much about speed ratings back then -- the car ran Goodyear Polyglas GT's (yikes). They actually held up well, but I was probably lucky. FYI, at the time, the RCMP highway patrol and detachment cars were all being switched out to BFG Radials at the time....I recall them unloading pretty much a trailer load at our detachment in 1974-75 or so. I suspect they had had enough of steel belted bias plies.... &lt;g&gt;

Wayne

Tracker1
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
is the car still known to you? what a nice piece. Ever tracked the VIN? you are a lucky man to have owned it, WOW.

olredalert
11-08-2011, 03:21 PM
----Wayne,,,The Nevada Silver LS6 I had back in 1978 or so also had 3:55s and I saw 145 on the speedo. Bone stock except for smog removal. Always figured in a bit of fudge factor so it might have been doing 140 or so and I remember thinking there was some left. Tim G knows that car as does Jake D......Bill s

firstgenaddict
11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Love the color, the wheels, and especially the motor.
Don't worry bout the socks, you were fashion forward, dark socks and shorts didn't peak until the 90's or so...

RPOLS3
11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Tim G knows that car as does Jake D......Bill s </div></div>

Funny you should mention that Bill - we were just talking about that car last weekend........about how Marty fell asleep on the hood while on the judging field at Bloomington when the Judges came to inspect the car!!!

I rode down in that LS6 car on my very 1st trip to Bloomington alongside my brother Dave riding shotgun in Carney's L89. Little did we know at the time how desireable those cars would become.

Great memories!

Jake

olredalert
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
----Jake,,,I had forgotten the sleeping part. Ill have to get on Martys case about that. I think I had sold the LS6 to Stretch by then, hadnt I?
----I remember Carney wanting me to detail the L89 for him. I took the rear &quot;CORVETTE&quot; letters off and when I went to reinstall them I got sidetracked and forgot to put on the nuts. The car made it all the way to Bl.Gold from Chicago and not one letter fell off, but an overly anal judge wiggled one of them and it came off in his hand. Carney got all over my case as he missed a gold by a point or two and blamed me for not making it. At that point I informed him that it wouldnt have even made silver if I hadnt have massaged the car. And then,,,we had another beer!!!......Bill S

11-08-2011, 08:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the car still known to you? what a nice piece. Ever tracked the VIN? you are a lucky man to have owned it, WOW. </div></div>

An owner contacted me maybe fifteen years ago. He was well aware of what it was. It had a small block in it by then if my memory serves me correctly....Today, it's probably <span style="text-decoration: underline">way</span> of out of reach ($$$) for someone like me...L-O-L

I dug the car a lot. And I miss it.

Wayne

11-08-2011, 08:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firstgenaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the color, the wheels, and especially the motor.
Don't worry bout the socks, you were fashion forward, dark socks and shorts didn't peak until the 90's or so...

</div></div>

Ha Ha. Naw...at my current age I don't care....about my old fashion faux pas....L-O-L. Thanks for the comps on the car. The whole thing worked out really well. If I could spin the clock back, a convertible with a removable hardtop would have been faster...at least that's what my old pals at GM used to tell me (that's why Greenwood and the others used convertibles).

FYI, when the rat motor was at full bark, you couldn't hear anything else in the car. I had a small eight track under the dash with a set of headphone jacks tucked in beside the seat. Without the headphones, I couldn't hear a thing... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Today, ET's as-cast five spokes look close, so I think I'll use them on my Nova.

Wayne

TimG
11-08-2011, 11:52 PM
You guys are making me laugh thinking of Terry Carney being all rattled up like that. I can hear him now.
I drove through his old area of Fox Lake two weekends ago on a trip and just thought of good old Terry and how much fun he was. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif