PDA

View Full Version : BBC Chromed Rocker Covers (valve cvrs)

Dicky
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi guys, I have a question about chromed rocker covers and what determined which BBC got them. My lowly '66 SS 396 Impala had them, yet I've seen plenty of 435hp 427's in corvettes for example W/O them (just painted orange). I for the life of me can't remember what came on my '67 L78 Chevelle from the factory but it was heavily Day 2'd. I do believe they were chromed at delivery.

Thanks for your help.

DH <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

XXXGoldL34M20
12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
67 L78 Chevelle would be chromed ones.

Dicky
12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Yea Danny, I thought they were chromed. But what determined that process???

Dicky
12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Nobody has the answer??? I guess I won't ask which cars got the &quot;Heat Shield&quot; between the carb and intake.....

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

Keith Tedford
12-15-2011, 08:56 PM
How about the oil heat shield under the carb, was that just an over the counter piece or did it actually ever get used? There was neither rhyme nor reason to some of the stuff that GM did. You would think for sure that the L71 Vettes would have gotten the full chrome treatment.

Dicky
12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Keith, This is the part I was refering to, is that what you are calling an <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;oil heat shield?&quot;</span> I thought it was to keep the fuel in the float bowls from heat.

I'm not sure if it was OTC only or factory installed on some engines.

The rocker covers are still are a mystery...

WILMASBOYL78
12-16-2011, 01:18 AM
An &quot;oil heat shield' would be under the intake manifold...some manifolds had them riveted on. There was also an over the counter lifter galley oil shield that kept hot oil off the bottom of the intake manifold.

wilma

Keith Tedford
12-16-2011, 02:46 AM
My mistake. I was referring to the one that snaps in between the heads. I put one in our L78 engine, blocked the heat crossover and added the heat shield, that you show, under the carb. If I ever have the engine out, I'll add a windage tray under the crank too. It's the little things that add up to a nice running engine.

Dicky
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I want to BUMP this post in case some new eyes or minds on here might know the Chromed Rocker Cover answer. Maybe someone familiar with the Tonowanda Plant????? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

Thanks, DH <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif