PDA

View Full Version : Tunnell Ram Toppers

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
What was the period correct toppers for tunnell rams, velocity stacks, mailbox scoop, bug catchers, 3 hole scoops, or ???

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/m0TB8R6J6Rn7gJZ7Y8dSZOg/140.jpg

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mZEiD9PVett7qb9Pee_j0DA/140.jpg

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mHgddjatvzckj-AHc4FishQ/140.jpg

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/m0TA_reY8rRPHh2MJ5L_HPQ/140.jpg

Fast67VelleN2O
12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Velocity stacks in my personal opinion.

whitetop
12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
1. Velocity Stacks. Yes, very correct.With or w/o the screen.If use the type with a screen find the older stle ones with round holes and not square which did not come out until th 1990's.

2. Aluminum finned one piece cover-not accurate at all-that is new piece that was not around back then. That is a new aftermarket piece made to look the 1950's or 1960's.

3. Individual air cleaners. Very correct as long as you use early style Mr Gasket(flat top 6" ones for instance though they made others similar to your pic). Don't use anything with a identification name stamped on them like Edebrock etc. That trend did not start until the 1990's or very late 80's

4. Hilborn Scoop-Not real accurate..that was more a supercharger deal though some ran them on TR's.

Don't use any billet hold down bolts/anything knurled or anodized. A simple 1970's style wing nut(as on a GM chrome aircleaner) is the only thing really correct.

Don't use any new fangled K&N style filters which are funky in color. A simple old style ac in white paper element looks best.

3 hole fake mr Gasket bug catcherers like on a fuel car?? Barf. Nothing worse than fake parts on a car.

I know I'm being Day 2 police here but seeing a purple colored ac or billet parts on a Day 2 car just looses it for me.

PxTx
12-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I would run two small air cleaners on the street and nothing at the track.

mockingbird812
12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
<span style="font-style: italic">I know I'm being Day 2 police here but seeing a purple colored ac just looses it for me.</span>

To serve and protect, baby! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Hemicolt
12-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm going to do gold aluminum velocity stacks.

Tommy
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
I always liked the small air cleaners and still run them on my Holleys. Dad had one on his old 64 chevy C10 when I was a kid and I guess that sold me on it. If Dad liked it.... I liked it.

And yes, any purple or frilly newfangled looking materials are off limits on day 2 vehicles.....

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Velocity stacks it is!

whitetop
12-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Marlin
I like the Mr Gasket #2085. They were 100% accurate for the time period-very early 70's. I would buy the new ones for the aluminum housings and try to find junkers/used ones for the correct screens which have round holes. The ones made today have square holes.
I see used ones at the swaps or on ebay every so often.

NOS #2085 circa mid 70's boxes (not for sale)
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/IMG_2347-1.jpg

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Great, thanks for the part numbers. I'm on the search.

whitetop
12-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Weiand intake but it gives you an idea what the stacks will look like on a BB. It is very symetric.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/chevellegrumplump.jpg

Hemicolt
12-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Good idea Dave.
These have the round holes. They may need to have the diameter trimmed down.
I guess the retaining ring can be made out of flat aluminum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-velocity-...ies&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-velocity-stacks-OLD-SCHOOL-tunnel-ram-rat-rod-/360418017238?hash=item53ea967fd6&amp;item=360418017238 &amp;pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&amp;vxp=mtr )

mr.4speed
12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
those are the ones i got new from jegs and had them gold anodized.
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/russellta68/8038842164276_ORIG.jpg

VintageMusclecar
12-14-2011, 03:09 PM
FWIW, re: those air filters with the black &quot;foam&quot; type filter elements;

Over the last ~30 years I have serviced more carbs than I can count that were fouled by that black foam after it dissolved and &quot;melted&quot; (for lack of a better term) into the carb. Getting that material out of the air bleeds is a real picnic.

I'm not sure what causes this (aside from the obvious carb backfires and subsequent fires), and I've seen plenty of cars that have ran those filters w/o issue, but I feel I would be remiss in my duties here if I didn't at least post a fair warning based on my personal experiences.

Just a heads-up. Carry on.

mockingbird812
12-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Good info Eric. We appreciate it. How are things to the west?

12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, re: those air filters with the black &quot;foam&quot; type filter elements;

Over the last ~30 years I have serviced more carbs than I can count that were fouled by that black foam after it dissolved and &quot;melted&quot; (for lack of a better term) into the carb. Getting that material out of the air bleeds is a real picnic.

I'm not sure what causes this (aside from the obvious carb backfires and subsequent fires), and I've seen plenty of cars that have ran those filters w/o issue, but I feel I would be remiss in my duties here if I didn't at least post a fair warning based on my personal experiences.

Just a heads-up. Carry on.</div></div>

Ditto....I was in a Chevy dealer getting my SS Chevelle serviced (warranty work...) in 1970. Another local was attempting to get warranty work done on a '69 SS Nova (L78) with one of those foam filters. The engine had &quot;sneezed&quot; and melted foam was all over the Holley... L-O-L. Dunno if he got warranty. I did (killed a TH400 on the GM 5-Year, 50,000 street race power train warranty plan) <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Wayne

whitetop
12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, re: those air filters with the black &quot;foam&quot; type filter elements;

</div></div>

I was concerned about this. When I break in my engine I'm going to run regular filters until everything get's past the hickup stage.

Since the black foam is so porous and allows everything past except a small bird I was also thinking about running a layer of flat filter material from K&amp;N or some other source underneath the black foam. Iwas thinking of taking one of their flat pleated filters and leveling it out and use this as filter base to catch anything the foam does not filter..which is plenty, plus keep out melted or deteriorating foam.

TheNovaMan
12-14-2011, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would run two small air cleaners on the street and nothing at the track. </div></div>
Running naked carbs at the track is not technically legal unless they're under a scoop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: four speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/russellta68/8038842164276_ORIG.jpg</div></div>
What fuel hose and ends are those?

Just a heads-up. Carry on. </div></div>
Backfires are probably the majority of the problem, but I wouldn't rule out fuel incompatibility. Thanks to the EPA, today's gasoline is much harder on polymers than it used to be.

Hemicolt
12-14-2011, 07:08 PM
That should work very well. I cut down a large diameter velocity
stack and made a mini flyeye for my Dominator on my Chevelle. I did the same thing you are speaking of. We worked out the tune on the dyno and I installed the air cleaner after that. I've never had a problem out of the foam in all the years it has been on the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, re: those air filters with the black &quot;foam&quot; type filter elements;

</div></div>

I was concerned about this. When I break in my engine I'm going to run regular filters until everything get's past the hickup stage.

Since the black foam is so porous and allows everything past except a small bird I was also thinking about running a layer of flat filter material from K&amp;N or some other source underneath the black foam. Iwas thinking of taking one of their flat pleated filters and leveling it out and use this as filter base to catch anything the foam does not filter..which is plenty, plus keep out melted or deteriorating foam.</div></div>

Future Stock
12-15-2011, 03:24 AM
In the Washington DC area, alot of people ran the plastic rural newspaper tubes. I still have mine, it was from the evening &amp; weekend times.