PDA

View Full Version : day 2 questions top 10

day2killa
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I was not sure if I should post a thread for each question separetly or just a list of them, so here are my top 10. I have a 1969 Chevelle that my Dad and I built and finished around 1992. It has been alot of fun owning it but it is time for some changes. I have been researching and collecting day 2 parts I am on overload. I am going for the total cliche car that would have been raced on the weekends, driven on the street, 1970's to mid 1980's. I might even be trickling into day3. I know that some people will say its your car, do what like but there is nothing wrong with some guidence from the experts.

1. I am going with 15x4 drag fronts but which one screams day2 the most. I like so many, cragar ss, sst, super trick, Aluminum slots, keystone klassics? Then what is the correct front tire that is avalible that will give me that period correct look?

2. I want to go steal wheels in the back what size rim and tire combo? And again what tire for a period correct look?

3. Ladder bars yes or no?

4. Where to mount the hood pins, can I put them right where the rubber stopper is or do I need to go next to it, what is period correct?

5. Moroso cool can even just for show, is that to far?

6. Hood mounted tach, where do you mount it and how to run the cable, again period correct?

7. Toe tabs, is that to much up front with the hood pins?

8. I have my uncles V gate shifter, is it more of a pain than its worth?

9. Will the accel coil work with my MSD 6a?

10. Where do I hunt for the flex o lite green flex fan, or does someone have one to sell?

I feel like this is only the beginning, but a great start, pics are always welcome for ideas, cant wait for the input. Thanks in advance.

mockingbird812
01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Great questions John. I'll get back to you this evening after work. This should be fun, and I expect you to get a LOT of input.

whitetop
01-05-2012, 07:57 PM
1. All those rims are correct except the SST which did not come out until the later 70's. Popular front tires on skinnies back then on the street was C78-15 bias or 5.60-15. The 6.70-15 from Coker are pretty close to the C78-15

2. I always equated painted steel rims on the rear as more of a 60's thing. 1970s' would have been more chrome reverse or just mags that matched the front. Chrome reverse looks great on the rear with say Cragars SS or slots on the front but I have also never been a big fan of different mags on the front versus the rear-as in say Cragars on the front and slots or 5 spokes on the rear. That was done by hillbillies back in the day who were not particular on how their car looked and just bought the cheapest mags that came along.This trend is still used today by rat rod/machine bracket guys on the drag strip with those ratty cars. I have no problem with painted steel wheels and mags up front on cars that are trying to get the 60's look.

3. Ladder bars-YES Luv them. Just make sure the rear of the car is raised and decent size tires and rims are used on the rear for the 70's look.

4. Hood pins can be just about anywhere on the rad support but most people keep them 12-14" away from the fender.

5. I would use the plain aluminum Mr Gasket can as it is more period correct for the 70's. Those cork Moroso units did not really come out until the mid to late 70's.

6. I would never run a tach outside of a car especially a car with the cowl covered by a hood like a Chevelle. I would run it on the steering column or dash. Ok to run a fuel pressure or vacuum outside though etc

7. Tow tabs look great with hood pins

8. V-gates are easy to use on the street. Just takes a few minutes getting used to it. Sometimes a little hassle is worth it as looks are #1

9. Yes. Accel with work with MSD-6a

10. Green FOL are on ebay every so often. If they have major gouges that means thy have hit something and don't use them.I'm not a fan of buying fiberglass fans sight unseen unless NOS..too many of them have hairline cracks.

Some of my don'ts (read cheesy looking trends)I'm not posting to the OP in these comments.

-Rear windows plastered with decals. One or two is fine
-No Mooneyes, woody wood pecker Clay Smith Cigar type decals-those were 1950's decals. In other words make sure the decals match the era
-No NHRA 1972 Winternationals/Lions drag strip style decals. You are not fooling anyone.Your car did not win class at the 1970 Nat's. The closest it got to the trip was the parking lot. Small win decals from your local track are fine though.
-No 50's style dice tire valve stems, fuzzy dice etc.

PxTx
01-05-2012, 07:59 PM
First off, I think you need to pick a specific period in time. I talked to Jamie Jarvis about his 55 Chevy and that is one of the first things he committed to on his 55 build. He went for a build on a 55 chevy done with in the late 1960's theme. I think he did a great job.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/MCACN/2011%20Preview/556771c4.jpg

Every time period has cool parts, but they don't all mix well. I personally draw the line for Day 2 around 1972, but that is because of my taste in cars and equipment. There are a lot of cool things you could use form the mid to late 1970's, but I would probably keep away form the 1980's stuff just to help with the focus of your theme. There is a bit of a departure on 1980's equipment as it became less "grass roots". Kinda tough for me to explain at the moment, but I'll try to expand if it is needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. I am going with 15x4 drag fronts but which one screams day2 the most. I like so many, cragar ss, sst, super trick, Aluminum slots, keystone klassics? Then what is the correct front tire that is avalible that will give me that period correct look?</div></div>

A true vintage 15x4 wheel is kinda tough to find. I would be open to a few types and see what you come up with. Easy mod to change if you find something better. Can't go wrong with a Cragar SS, but I would stay away from the ealier Cragar and Keystone wheels as they are different than what was available in say 1977. Satin Cragar Super Tricks 15x3 would be kinda cool. The SST where the chrome street version of thr ST and I don't think they made them in 15x4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. I want to go steal wheels in the back what size rim and tire combo? And again what tire for a period correct look?</div></div>

If the late 1970's is your theme, run the widest wheel you can. Probably a 15x10 at least. Some N50's or maybe a set of Mickey Thompson on the widest config you can work out. The tire choice you have out back may help direct the tire choice you use in front. I would probably stick to a Bias Tire in front. I just haven't seen many radial tires that look right to me on a narrow rim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. Ladder bars yes or no?</div></div>
Absolutley!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4. Where to mount the hood pins, can I put them right where the rubber stopper is or do I need to go next to it, what is period correct?</div></div>

What hood do you plan on running. You've got the idea, but the hood may dictate the pin locations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5. Moroso cool can even just for show, is that to far?</div></div>

They look cool under the hood, but can be a source for heat soak in summer street driving. Be mindful of vapor lock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6. Hood mounted tach, where do you mount it and how to run the cable, again period correct?</div></div>

May be a regional thing. I didn't see too many of these growing up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7. Toe tabs, is that to much up front with the hood pins?</div></div>

I'm a big fan of the tow tabs, and the pictures you've shared also had them in them. I would rock them out. There is a kinds long thread someone started just asking what the correct color for tabs should be. I don't think there is a wrong asnwer for that question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8. I have my uncles V gate shifter, is it more of a pain than its worth?</div></div>

I've had one in my car for about 20 years and it is mostly street driven with a trip tor two to the drags each year. Someone mentioned that the Mr Gasket one is tougher to drive on the street due to the longer reach from the shifter handle to the up/down gate handle. I can tell you the Hurst unit is easy to drive on the street.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9. Will the accel coil work with my MSD 6a?</div></div>

I run a yellow accel coil on my car and it works great with the MSD. You can't see it too well, but it's up there on the firewall.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/Plowman7/PxTx/StroudsburgAirportDrags.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10. Where do I hunt for the flex o lite green flex fan, or does someone have one to sell?</div></div>

They are out there. I bet if you posted a WTB on here, a few would turn up pretty quickly.

As you can see, my car has SST and no clear theme. I plan on changing that, but for now it is still the way I built it in 1991. If I had the vision I may have kept to a tigher theme, but it really was whatever I could afford at the time.

PS- nice job Dave on you comments. I am in total agreement, especially with the comments on the steel wheels.

Salvatore
01-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Hey Paul, you and Dave got this Newbie &quot;dialed in&quot; on those comments! No hood tach, roll bar or steelies and running a cool can on the street did not serve much purpose. Maybe a fuel pressure gauge outside on the cowl is good but that was more of the next step when you went racing. Remember money was tight in those days as we were young and it may have taken 2-3 years from when you bought your car in 68-70 or so to do all this. I personally have no problem with parts in the mid 70's as Day-2 for a 68-70 car but that is just me. Keep up the good work!

whitetop
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, I think you need to pick a specific period in time. </div></div>

Very well said, probabaly the most important point of all. Pick a particular year and it's ok to go +/- 1 year in either direction which gives a 3 year span.

Nothing worse than seeing intergenerational cars out there. I.e. for instance 1950's style street rods with wide whites and 1970's tunnel rams.

Hemicolt
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nothing worse than seeing intergenerational cars out there. </div></div>

I can't believe someone would say that this day and time with all the political correctness going around.

Now I'm going to have to hang a pair of fuzzy dice on my cork wrapped, Moroso cool can.

Hemicolt
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
I know a guy who has a nos, orange, fiberglass fan. I can check on it if the color doesn't bother you.

markjohnson
01-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Here's my Day Two Killer Biscuit with mis-matched wheels. Rat motor with Dual Quads, M-22 Rockcrusher 4-gear and ancient RC Scattershield, Strange-equipped 12 bolt with 4.56's. Inside it's got the stock bench seat, Long shifter, Stahl cable-drive tach and Greenline SW's. Should be good for high 11's if I can shift this thing fast enough!

brent396
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Very cool <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Your a brave man posting that car with steel rally wheels..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markjohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my Day Two Killer Biscuit with mis-matched wheels. Rat motor with Dual Quads, M-22 Rockcrusher 4-gear and ancient RC Scattershield, Strange-equipped 12 bolt with 4.56's. Inside it's got the stock bench seat, Long shifter, Stahl cable-drive tach and Greenline SW's. Should be good for high 11's if I can shift this thing fast enough! </div></div>

TheNovaMan
01-06-2012, 01:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: day2killa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going for the total cliche car that would have been raced on the weekends, driven on the street, 1970's to mid 1980's.</div></div>
Others have said it, and I agree that it will be extremely helpful to you to narrow down your era to about a three year period. If you don't know exactly what period you like best, post up some pics of cars you think look cool, and the experts will help you narrow it down.

markjohnson
01-06-2012, 02:41 AM
I've been around the block once or twice myself and mounting a set of 9&quot;-10&quot; slicks, like the M&amp;H Racemasters pictured, on a set of 15 X 8 Corvette Rally rear rims is a time-honored, little guy tradition that's been around forever!

Hemicolt
01-06-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm still waiting for the Day 2 police to say something about the rallys..lol

Plowman
01-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Back in the day no one could afford to buy a set of slicks. So you chipped in with your cohorts and got a pair. So they looked good on every one's car,you painted the rims white. Thus,THE REAR WHITE STEEL RIMS was a common look. *Paul

PxTx
01-06-2012, 03:30 AM
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/Plowman7/Plowman%20Scans/primer57.jpg

Plowman
01-06-2012, 03:46 AM
That's me and the &quot;57&quot; living at Vargo Drag Strip. *Paul

day2killa
01-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Thank you so much for all of the great input so far, I think I need to get a few magazines from the era, 1970-1985 to help me hone in on a time frame. I was only 10 by 1980 and that is really the beginning of my memories of hanging around Hampton raceway with my uncle and his 71 chevelle.

Also I like the idea of posting pics of what I like so you can help with era, I will do that tonight.

I am a bit surprised on the no steal wheels in the back, maybe it's because I spent so much time at the track and people switched to a weekend set of slicks, but I think it looks really cool.

Salvatore
01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
That is a great picture of you at Vargo Paul! Perfect!!

Plowman
01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Sam,that picture makes me feal younger alot younger. *Paul

Salvatore
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
The grass, silo, old barn and the 57. Can't beat it! Very, very near the end of the Vargo days it looks like.

Plowman
01-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Sam that was the last days Vargo was opean. &quot;WOW SAM&quot; you are good. *Paul

4onthefloor
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Here are some pics with White wheels in them
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/4onthefloor/coolwhitewheelnova.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/4onthefloor/oldschoolcamaro-baserims.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/4onthefloor/oldschoolduecepic.jpg
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/4onthefloor/allwhiteZ28.jpg

Hemicolt
01-16-2012, 03:40 AM
My friend would'nt let go of the orange fan.
There is a nos one on Ebay. Not mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BALDWIN-MOTI...ies&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BALDWIN-MOTION-FLEX-A-LITE-FAN-RARE-STILL-ORIGINAL-BOX-NEVER-USED-/130631485530?hash=item1e6a3e485a&amp;item=130631485530 &amp;pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&amp;vxp=mtr )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a guy who has a nos, orange, fiberglass fan. I can check on it if the color doesn't bother you. </div></div>

day2killa
01-16-2012, 03:12 PM
thanks for the heads up, there is one on craigslist that i am trying to get also