PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 frame connectors?

Mk IV Muscle
03-14-2012, 04:51 AM
I can't seem to find out what if any subframe connectors were being used on Day 2 cars. All the photos I've seen of Motion cars, (Even their race cars), don't show any being used. (?) Anyone recall when the first commercially available frame connectors were produced and who made them?

Tommy
03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CE-BoltIn-Subframe-Connectors-67-69-Camaro-Firebird-/280436613590?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item414b5321d6#ht_1535wt_1139)

Moroso (then called Moroso Performance) started pushing them out in late 1974 early 1975. The ones Competition engineering sells today are the same ones (for the Nova in your signature). They bolt in but generally got welded. From what I have read and found over the years parting out cars, before Moroso made these you fabbed your own up. I think Alston started not long after that making subframe connectors and frame rails. I cannot remember what Alston was called at first but I remember a name change. I have a virgin set of connectors and frame rails that are Alston stuff and I believe they are early 80's.

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Salvatore
03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Didn't really see them till late 70's. That wasn't as much Day-2 but more for drag racing. Didn't really put them on your street car. Again....Day-2 cars and drag cars are a different animal.

Tommy
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM
I agree 100% Sammy. You just didn't see them on a street car at all. Now days its common to tie the car together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/68sschevyII/day%202%20parts/themissinglink.jpg

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Salvatore
03-14-2012, 08:11 PM
No roll bars or frame connectors in those days. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you had to break the 10 second barrier to need a roll bar back in the early 70's. Mags, traction bars, wide tires, headers, tach and gauges a super tune (distributor, carb) and of course a Hurst shifter got you in the the high 11's with a BB and in the high to mid 12's with a SB. Didn't need a Mallory, Accel or any of that stuff really. Just stock Chevy parts done right. Drove it to and from the track and to school and work during the week. Not a drag car but a Day-2 car. Wasn't rocket science either cause I was just a young dumb kid of 16 in 69. I just had real good teachers.

Plowman
03-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Sam,from what I can see in the &quot;1969&quot; Sam you are correct on &quot;DRAG RULES&quot;. Flywheel shieldneeded but,traction bars were safty stuff.

396L35
03-15-2012, 03:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No roll bars or frame connectors in those days. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you had to break the 10 second barrier to need a roll bar back in the early 70's. Mags, traction bars, wide tires, headers, tach and gauges a super tune (distributor, carb) and of course a Hurst shifter got you in the the high 11's with a BB and in the high to mid 12's with a SB. Didn't need a Mallory, Accel or any of that stuff really. Just stock Chevy parts done right. Drove it to and from the track and to school and work during the week. Not a drag car but a Day-2 car. Wasn't rocket science either cause I was just a young dumb kid of 16 in 69. I just had real good teachers. </div></div>

It sounds like God has spoken and totally agree. I have a SRD catalog from 1976 that has them listed and I couldn't find them in the Moroso catalogs...