PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Nickey Corvette

StealthBird
03-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Hey guys, as I've been going through my hundreds of hours of vintage racing and promotional films, I occasionally run across a scene that's relevant to the Yenko, Nickey, and Gibb legacy. I captured a screen shot of this, from the 1963 12 Hours of Sebring. Thought you might enjoy it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Jay_chevelless
03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Cool!

Stefano
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, as I've been going through my hundreds of hours of vintage racing and promotional films, I occasionally run across a scene that's relevant to the Yenko, Nickey, and Gibb legacy. I captured a screen shot of this, from the 1963 12 Hours of Sebring. Thought you might enjoy it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

That is one of the Nickey 1963 Z06s. This one was originally prepared for A.J. Foyt.

That appears to be Ronnie Kaplan closest and maybe the late Richard Gore in the back ground.

Cool picture. Thanks for posting.

Ronnie actually walked the two Z06s down the assembly line as they were special built for Nickey.

MosportGreen66
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=StealthBird]
Ronnie actually walked the two Z06s down the assembly line as they were special built for Nickey. </div></div>

How so?

StealthBird
04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Found another, this is the Dick Thompson/Don Yenko Corvette. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

olredalert
04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
----Cool Nickey Corvette, but how about that Griffith behind it? One of my all time favorites......Bill S

MosportGreen66
04-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Isn't that the Gulf Oil car Pre decals?

Stefano
04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=StealthBird]
Ronnie actually walked the two Z06s down the assembly line as they were special built for Nickey. </div></div>

How so? </div></div>

Ronnie Kaplan is a very special guy on many levels, but in the world of racing he is a standout amongst the crowd, to say the very least.

He and GM worked hand in hand in order to make certain that Chevrolet was properly represented in the hands of privateers as well as dealers. He had direct access to the GM tech center and dyno cells.

When it came time to build the two side by side or in line Nickey ZO6s, he went to the St Louis plant and made certain that anything unnecessary for racing purposes was left out of the cars.

Many years later, he initially identified the Purple People Eater Z06 because of what it didn't have on it.