PDA

View Full Version : Accel Distributor Rebuild

whitetop
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Seems like there is a lot more interest in early Accel stuff.

The early Chevrolet Accel 30100 dual point 30100(t) tach drive are easy to find and the best part unlike a Mallory every single part is still available from Accel. Don't buy the 34000 series-those were the inexpensive mid 70's version.They were just supposed to be a stock non hipo replacement unit. The 37000 series were the improved 30100 but did not come out until the later 1970's.

Here is a SBF Ford 30201 I'm rebuilding. Had the housing replated (ISCA show car) as it was on the car in the 1970's. The original chrome was peeling and was waxed one too many times.

The cap, rotor, points etc are still available from Accel and all the original bearings, thrust washers and torrington needle bearings were originally made by INA and they are still available. The best part is the INA part number was engraved in the originals and the number was never changed. I forget what paid for the bearings but I'm thinking $5-6.00 each. Bought plenty of spares. I went to a good local bearing supply house and they had everything in stock.

The two boxes to the right are nos rebuild kits-includes the clips, springs, and wires that come out from the points-these are no longer available from Accel but if you find a decent distributor the original parts can be replated like Sam did on his Mallory.

If you want to be era correct buy a distributor with the stamped, engraved identification plate like the one on mine. Later versions just had a thin aluminum foil type decal.The decal type is on the middle distributor in the photo.

The early caps are a darker brown bakelite color and do not have injection pinmarks like the new ones from Accel have on them. Early NOS caps are still available on ebay on a regular basis or the swaps.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k572/OGCPICS/accel1.jpg

Hemicolt
06-05-2012, 12:58 AM
What was the time span on the BEI ignition boxes?
Thanks for all the great info. Dave.

whitetop
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the time span on the BEI ignition boxes?
</div></div>

Just off the top of my head I think they were in my 1974 catalogs. Saw many ads for them in 197 mags. Probably ended in early 80s.

daverd
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks again
Dave
D.

Hemicolt
06-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I know of a local parts store that has been around since the 1960's that has a few of the BEI boxes on the shelf. Are they worth picking up for less than 40.00 each?

whitetop
06-05-2012, 11:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know of a local parts store that has been around since the 1960's that has a few of the BEI boxes on the shelf. Are they worth picking up for less than 40.00 each? </div></div>

I would not pay more than $40 each....not much if any demand. You also need a BEI distributor and Accel no longer makes the internal electrical components. I have seen NOS BEI boxes on the 'Bay get no bids and starting at low prices. That being said $40.00 or less sounds reasonable..

Here is a box and distributor for sbc/bbc..it is listed as used in the heading but in the description it is new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCEL-BEI-IGNITI...e99&amp;vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCEL-BEI-IGNITION-/330743942809?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&amp;hash=item4d01e00e99&amp;vxp=mtr)

Mk IV Muscle
06-06-2012, 01:55 AM
+2 Didn't have much luck selling my Brothers' BEI tach-drive distributor and box.