PDA

View Full Version : Max Wedge Motors?

Jack_Tar
06-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a Max Wedge engine question. There is a guy at a local garage that has two 426 Max Wedge engines out of a 1966 Chris Craft boat. They are both complete, but will need to at least be disassembled and freshened up if not rebuilt. Even though they are the same engines as the car engines but with the "M" designation in the stamping, do these engines have any value in the classic car market?

PeteLeathersac
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
If out've the same boat is one reverse rotation?
A buddy used to look for the '66 426 Wedge cranks for his 426 Hemis.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

Jack_Tar
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
As far as I have seen the reverse direction is in the reduction gears. The engines (as far as I know) are always normal rotation.

olredalert
06-14-2012, 08:05 PM
----Not always! I have a friend with the same 30ft boat as me but instead of my two 454s his is powered with two 440 six-pack Chrysler Marine engines. The left (or port as us guys say) is reverse rotation for sure. If they are Chrysler Marine built engines he better check the water jackets for excessive rust issues. The marine division of Chrysler was just two towns over from me when it was operating. Riggers that I know claim that the Chrysler Marine produced motors were to some extent crude. They didnt enjoy rigging boats with them.

----And I should say that my port 454 engine is also reverse rotation........Bill S