PDA

View Full Version : E code 440 HP complete value

69gmmuscleluver
09-03-2012, 11:51 PM
I have a complete E code 440 HP engine that I'm debating on selling. The engine was removed from a wrecked Mopar in the early 80's and sat since. The engine isn't stuck and doesn't appear to have been disassembled although I can't guarantee the disassembly part. The power steering pulley is bent but no other obvious damage other than a broken manifold bolt. It did come with a 727 automatic transmission as well but as memory serves me it has 72 or 73 date on the housing. I'm a GM guy but had plans on buying a 70 Dart for the engine but those plans have vanished due to a divorce. Thanks in advance.

69hemibeep
09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
It seems to be different across the country, around here its 200-500 for a core depending on the heads and crank

old5.0
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69hemibeep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to be different across the country, around here its 200-500 for a core depending on the heads and crank </div></div>

Really? I used to get $800-$1000 for a complete HP440 with correct intake and exhaust manifolds, and people told me I was cheap on them. That was several years ago, though...

69gmmuscleluver
09-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Wow $200 to $500? I'd use it as a boat anchor before giving it away but thanks for the opinion. I guess it's really true that Mopar pieces aren't as rare or expensive as the 60-70 era GM stuff.

69hemibeep
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Like I said it varies with location, one state to the west and its worth more. If it is date correct for a lift off hood car you would do better. I just bought a 69 HP 440 standard bore steel crank 906 heads complete less carb with 727 trans for $200 off craigslist. I did have to drive to a small town to land that kind of deal. Put it on e-bay if your willing to ship and you will do better yet. Sign of the times!

69hemibeep
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I just looked around on moparts and ebay and they vary from $400-1200 several at $800 see which of them sell. Cores don't go for much around here so my veiw is a bit off.

69hemibeep
09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Also keep in mind the wives tale of an HP block being better was debunked not long ago. All 440 blocks were created equal, the E designated some better internals is all, so the racers chasing E blocks are fewer in numbers.

69gmmuscleluver
09-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the input I really appreciate your opinion .

69hemibeep
09-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm about to pick up another 440, intake to pan if the guy will return my call. Nothing like what you have but it is an E block with a cast crank(Oh well that will have to go)and I'm not sure which heads yet $350. Have you tried to market yours yet?

69gmmuscleluver
09-26-2012, 02:59 AM
No I haven't posted the engine for sale yet but it must go soon due to a lack of storage space.

CanCOPO
09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Quick question. My 69 Super Bee (drum brakes) is missing a rear wheel stud (Discount Tire not realizing it is LH thread). Will I have to pull the axel to replace it?
Thanks

69hemibeep
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
No just pull the drum and drive it out,sometimes you can get the new stud to seat useing an oversize nut as a spacer and a lug nut to pull the stud in, make sure the threads are greased and don't overdue it, it may need pressed to seat it . Do you have another LH stud?

CanCOPO
09-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks and much appreciate. I have a left hand stud. My mistake letting someone else mess with it and not overseeing.

SuperNovaSS
09-27-2012, 03:45 PM
If Discount Tire broke it, why didn't Discount Tire fix it?

Jason

CanCOPO
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
A ggod question. Lots of guff about not doing anything mechanical.

69hemibeep
09-28-2012, 12:30 AM
They should at least pay or compensate some how. I went to a mom and pop tire store for new skins on my truck and when I returned for rotation they found they had cross threaded a nut when installing the new tires. With out saying a thing he gave me a new chrome nut and told me to bring any billing in to replace the stud. Thats why I go there.

Big Block Bill
09-28-2012, 01:21 AM
&quot;If Discount Tire broke it, why didn't Discount Tire fix it?&quot;

Because they probably do not know how to fix it, why do you think they call it Discount Tire? I own a &quot;Mom &amp; Pop Shop&quot; and have for the last 27 years. We have repaired may of Discount Tire's mistakes along with NTB's.

Like I told a customer once when she went back to Discount Tire 3 times to get her car not to pull to the right after 4 new tires and a &quot;Free&quot; alignment....what kind of job did you expect to get out of a tech working Sunday afternoon? Her response was &quot;But you were $44.25 more. She ended up paying us $125.00 to road force balance her 4 tires (we found 1 to be defective and she had to go back a 4th time to warranty it) and perform a 4-wheel alignment Which was out of specs. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Bill

CanCOPO
10-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Another quick question for you. Neither of my doors on the 69 Beewill lock. Tried all combinations (holding in on door button, etc.). They won't lock with the key either. I thought it was strange that both sides behave the same and I am trying to avoid pulling the door panels.

69hemibeep
10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanCOPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another quick question for you. Neither of my doors on the 69 Beewill lock. Tried all combinations (holding in on door button, etc.). They won't lock with the key either. I thought it was strange that both sides behave the same and I am trying to avoid pulling the door panels. </div></div> the door button works when the door is closed I hope. The door uses the ignition key and they are designed so you cant lock yourself out. The button only works with the door closed it will reopen if you lock it and shut the door. Sounds to me as if you need to re-key the doors I think your ignition switch was switched.

69hemibeep
10-05-2012, 10:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69hemibeep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to pick up another 440, intake to pan if the guy will return my call. Nothing like what you have but it is an E block with a cast crank(Oh well that will have to go)and I'm not sure which heads yet $350. Have you tried to market yours yet? </div></div> I ended up getting it for $250 and I have a line on another with the 727 behind it. Granted they are not as desirable as what you have and its the region, prices are better for buyers and friends from Florida and California are amazed, they would pay triple.