PDA

View Full Version : Betty & Bucky....Forever One For Ever

SSJunkie68-69
12-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Hey Folks....Been a while since I checked in to the site. I missed coming here and reading what's been going on but things in my world have been crazy. In the span of 10 months I lost both my dear Mother and Father. Both were important people to me as they were not only the reason why I'm here on this earth in the first place, but also because each of them were my best friends. Dad had been battling a terrible rare dementia illness that I would never wish upon my worst enemies. Mom was there by his side. It had been going on for a few years. When he was diagnosed with it, the time frame was 12-18 months. He battled it and fought it for 58 months.....he passed at the end of October and is free of his illness finally. Mom was always by his side through this. As anyone who has had a loved one dealing with dementia, yet alone a rare form of it that not only shuts down the mind but the body too, it is extremely difficult. Mom was always by his side, offering words of love and support. They had a very special bond. One that not too many people have. When they were married back in the 50's he was in SAC flying live nukes in the skies, they both had the word FOFE inscribed in their wedding bands. It stood for Forever One For Ever. Their love and bond was that strong. Mom was a loving and caring lady. She doted on my Dad and for the past 4 1/2 years it was hard on her to see the love of her life deteriote. Last December it was all too much for her and she passed at her home, in her favorite room from a massive heart attack. She stood 5'4 and weighed 101 pounds soaking wet. She just couldn't bear to see the love of her life slowly slip away. My Dad was well into hospice and we all thought he was going to the first to go. We were wrong.....After Mom passed Dad moved down to NC to live with my brother for his final days as it was his wish not to pass in a nursing home. I received the word that his condition was worsening and hospice was going to be using morphine. I spent the next 5 weeks driving between my home and NC so I could spend the rest of his time with him by his bedside. I took a leave of absence from work and would come back for a day or two to get done what I needed to do and head back down to NC....His final days where with his family and loved ones.

I cared so much about these two very important people in my life. I had to give eulogies for both at their send offs. This was something I knew I would do but thought it would be years in between, not 10 months. For my Mom I recounted the story of my first car as a teenager, a '69 Camaro which I restored myself except the paint job. When it was done it was a sharp looking car, Lemans Blue, RS with a 327 and 290 Hp, I would let her take it to the grocery store on the weekends. She always loved the attention that car got and was always being asked if she was interested in selling the car. I don't think she told too many people it was her son's but I would always get the scoop when she returned. I always made sure she had a spare set of keys so she could take it out when she wanted. Those memories are priceless to me. I spoke of the love and admiration I had for both not only as parents but as dear friends. I could talk to each of them about anything. I would take my Dad to football and baseball games and just have a great time. We talked about a lot of things. Those are times I will always cherish. We would go for rides in the cars I have today and they would always joke about my first '69 and Mom taking offers on it.

As for me, I'm hanging in there and dealing with the loses of both of them the best I can. My loving bride(of 18 years) and I have been blessed with having triplets girls as some of you may know. When we learned of Dad's terminal illness, I wanted to do something with the kids that was different from the cars. I am not sure how they got me to do this but I agreed to become a coach of their Lacrosse team. I live on the east coast where Lacrosse it big. I played in jr and sr high and was lucky enough to win championships. So when the kids knew I was down they asked me to become a coach. I thought about it and decided sure, why not. It's something that would take my mind off of things and I really do enjoy working with kids. There is something so satisfying about it, plus I am able to coach my own kids. It brought a whole new dimension to me. Mom was very happy to learn that I made this commitment. When things turned the worse for Dad and I would drive 250 miles back and forth, we had a game which my loving daughters dedicated to their Grand Dad. We won 12-0 and I had never seen the team play like this. They all signed the ball and my kids presented it to him. At this point, he was slipping in and out but at that time he knew what it meant. He smiled and tears came to his eyes as he struggled to get the words out " Thank You and I love You"......He passed two weeks later with the game ball by his side. Our team went on to win the division in honor of Grand Dad and I can't begin to tell you how the emptiness I felt for losing both my dear loving parents was somewhat offset by a group of 4th and 5th graders. They knew I was hurting inside and did their best to help me because I have helped them. Amazing. Truly amazing....

I have been so very much into cars much of my life that it can be easy to lose focus on what really is important. I have always enjoyed going to car shows and seeing the rides but sometimes you need to take a break. Do something different. Give something back. These kids taught me something and I'll never forget it. I will still be into cars but will step back a bit so I have the time to coach the practices and weekend games. If I can squeeze a car show in cool, but if I can't, it's no big deal. I would rather be walking the sidelines and giving back the same way Mom and Dad did for me.....

Rest in Peace Betty & Bucky. You all together again once more....FOFE

SSJunkie68-69
12-22-2012, 07:29 AM
one more thing....I found this clip that has been pretty awesome to watch and listen to.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2kAAn7XAxk

Charley Lillard
12-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Wow..My heart goes out to you. They were blessed to have been so close to each other. Sounds like the healing has begun on your part.

Xplantdad
12-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Tom, you had shared some of this with me...and I am so sorry to hear of the passing of both of your parents. Please let me know if there is anything that we can do. If you want to talk, that's cool, too! Enjoy your kids...as the time passes by so fast....

We'll get up to your area one day <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Take it easy and thanks for sharing such wonderful memories with us.

mockingbird812
12-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for sharing your story with us Tom. You were lucky to have a front seat to your parents wonderful relationship. Fair winds and following seas.

elonblock
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
You are blessed to be able to have so many great recollections of your parents and their relationship. It's a great example to aspire to.

Thanks for sharing!

Elon