PDA

View Full Version : Bead blast cabinets

napa68
01-13-2013, 06:39 PM
What do you have? What do you like? What don't you like? What would you buy or what would you suggest to buy?

Thanks,

Tim

SS427
01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Without hesitation, the Skat Blast 960 or 970 if you do a lot of blasting. If so I would suggest the 970 as the added room is well worth the price. I have been using them for many years and am very happy with them. http://www.tptools.com/dg/53_Abrasive-Blast-Cabinets.html

Lynn
01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without hesitation, the Skat Blast 960 or 970 if you do a lot of blasting. If so I would suggest the 970 as the added room is well worth the price. I have been using them for many years and am very happy with them. http://www.tptools.com/dg/53_Abrasive-Blast-Cabinets.html </div></div>

Thanks for the link and advice Rick.

For a lot of us, floor space is also an issue. My planned work shop is only 28 by 30 deep. I am putting in a two post lift on one side. My workbench will be 10 foot by 3 foot, so my ancillaries better be space effecient.

The pic of the 970 shows a fender inside. Does a 70 chevelle or 69 camaro fender really fit? Is there room to work it around?

Let's say I am not planning on doing anything quite that big. I am assuming most wheels will fit fine in the 960. What might I be blasting that I would benefit from going up to the 970?

Lastly, I know my little 5 hp oil free compressor will not keep up. How much cfm (not what the manufacturer says - always seems to be about 30% short) will I <span style="font-weight: bold">realistically</span> need to keep up without having to constantly stop and wait.

Appreciate your input.

Donnie
01-14-2013, 01:35 AM
x2 what Rick said. I have this one and run it with a 7.5 hp 2 stage

http://www.tptools.com/eccStoreImages/product_images/Images/960-se-sandblast-cabinet_L.jpg

396L35
01-14-2013, 02:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">x2 what Rick said. I have this one and run it with a 7.5 hp 2 stage

http://www.tptools.com/eccStoreImages/product_images/Images/960-se-sandblast-cabinet_L.jpg </div></div>

I have the same set up except I am running two compressors with 80 gal. tanks piped together and my system is over 15 years old and running strong.

Lynn
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Mark:

Two compressors. Never even thought of that. And I was going to give this one away when I build the shop. Come to think of if, I love this one for paint work because it is oil free and I don't have to worry about an oil separator, or ever having oil in the lines, so I could have a dedicated port just for paint.

Do you have any kind of check valves in place?

Igosplut
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
We have a 970 and put the housing extension on the side so you could blast rear end housings, etc. I also put another light on the right side, and a vibrator on the funnel to keep the media moving down. The om\nly bad part is the cheaper vacuum makes a shitpile of noise. flip side is the vacuum upgrade is three times the money (but very quiet).

SS427
01-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I added the upgraded vacuum 4 years ago and it was worth EVERY penny. I am not nearly as fatigued at the end of the day from using it as I used to or maybe that is because I hired someone to do my shop blasting now........ <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

I am not sure a fender will fit as I have never blasted one of those but more importantly sway bars, rear end housings, etc, will fit without have to twist and turn to make it work. I would spend the little extra money for the extra length.

396L35
01-15-2013, 02:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark:

Two compressors. Never even thought of that. And I was going to give this one away when I build the shop. Come to think of if, I love this one for paint work because it is oil free and I don't have to worry about an oil separator, or ever having oil in the lines, so I could have a dedicated port just for paint.

Do you have any kind of check valves in place? </div></div>

Lynn, I have three drains, four water traps, two regulators and about 30' of black iron line. I have never had a problem with oil or water getting into the cabinet. The only problem I have is I wish I bought a bigger cabinet at the beginning but otherwise I am happy with the performance.