PDA

View Full Version : I camt take this Mecum lady any more!

njsteve
01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I cant take this Mecum lady any more....

The blond 40-somethng employee who stands on the passenger side of each car on the platform. As the car passes with the hood up she reaches out and attempts to close the hood from the passenger side.

Any person with an ounce of intelligence knows you only close a front opening hood from the middle when standing at the front of the car.

I have lost count of how many cars she has damaged so far by making the hood go sideways and having the edge at the drivers side hit the top of the fender. This is especially critical on second gen F-bodies. I have seen the hood back edges hit the fenders on at least three Trans Ams already.

I would start a new drinking game counting all the incidents but then I would probably be drunk before the first commercial break.

Can someone at the auction tell this lady to stop, PLEASE?

Bill Rose
01-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Ok, I'm not the only one who cringes every time she does that! I'm so careful closing the hood on my cars, so it goes down straight. Maybe if she did all the bodywork, and paint on one car, she would be more careful. There's also another guy at Mecum, who does the same thing, if she's not there.

SUSQ
01-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Just saw the fat guy slam another hood. Goes right through me every time he does it. He just doesn't respect the cars or the Mecum clients. It's a shame, really.

Dave Rifkin
01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SUSQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw the fat guy slam another hood. Goes right through me every time he does it. He just doesn't respect the cars or the Mecum clients. It's a shame, really. </div></div>

I missed the blond lady but, did notice the fat guy slamming hoods. He obviously could care less about the cars; drives me crazy.

firstgenaddict
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Worse is the idiots who let the hood safety latch catch then put the heel of their hand down on the hood and push to latch, denting the hood in the process...

Mr70
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I like how Mecums webcast shows a moving split screen when the car is up for auction.
Really accents them well.

njsteve
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like how Mecums webcast shows a moving split screen when the car is up for auction.
Really accents them well. </div></div>

They should call it Vandal-Cam!

SUSQ
01-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Watching live on Saturday afternoon, lots of &quot;Bid Goes On&quot; cars today. Soft market or unrealistic expectations on the part of consignors?

njsteve
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Did you see the Blonde when the Gold/Green COPO was on the block? She walked to the front of the car, put her hand on the center of the hood like she was going to close it properly, then stopped and walked to the passenger side and shoved it down by the passenger side edge. WTF?

Was she instructed to do this?

Mr70
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Ha!...she just started to close the white '70 T/A hood from the side,then walked to the ft. center of it.
She musta heard you.

Postsedan
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
She kind of looks like Laverne De Fazio <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/laverne-...6018?aid=zap2it (http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/laverne-and-shirley/photo-gallery-detail/EP00002544/296018?aid=zap2it)

Dan

markjohnson
01-27-2013, 03:45 AM
That woman shutting the hoods from the side upset my father so much that he had to change the channel. I can't believe myself that no one takes her to the side and teaches her how to properly close a hood. Can you imagine the damage she could inflict upon a factory lightweight car with an aluminum hood?

6pakdave
01-27-2013, 06:27 AM
Ya, all that plus they SLAM the hoods shut...The push guys aint much better,mega cringe factor.

TimG
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I bet for liability reasons they tell her not to close from the front as the car may be pushed into her. It's the insurance guy in me, this may really be the reason.

1970Bluel78
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
The minute I saw her do that I cringed. What an Idiot

njsteve
01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
So they'd rather have 3000 insurance claims for fender/hood damage that are documented on videotape? I guess that would be cheaper than one big &quot;slip and fall&quot; on live TV.

black69
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I cant believe this post, I wanted to btch about the same thing. She was killing me when she has on her wedding ring, running it down the edge of some of the hoods when she opens some of them. I mean leave the rings, watches, and bracelets home when you do a job like this.

Someone should tell Dana to fix this, its got to be so noticable to so many. Bad for buisness.

Mecum does make mistakes in how they run an auction. The lot for example in st charles where I live was filthy, so when some big motor hot rods fire up, they blow dust and dirt on all the clean cars (it was sick to watch).

Hey Dana: pre-clean staging lot at your auctions. have ALL staff take off rings and watches. simple stuff. Folks are noticing this stuff.

njsteve
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe someone who has their ear can give them the subtle hint.

And if they think we are overreacting or imagining this - tell them to simply &quot;go to the videotape.&quot;

Charley you out there? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Verne_Frantz
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
My 2 cents opinion/rant of the auction was that the coverage was terrible. I had to turn it off after less than an hour of watching each time. The two babbling talk hosts spent too much time ..well,........babbling rather than talking about the car on the block. Then when it was pushed onto the black pad, they usually said &quot;and the bidding goes on for this one&quot;, then panned to the next one on the block. So no one knew where the bidding went or if it sold. Don't people realize that the watchers want to see what these cars sell for???? That's why we're watching, aren't we?
Big faults on Velocity and equal faults on auction personnel.

If I EVER decided to put one of my cars into an auction, I hope someone kicks me in the head and says, &quot;what are you thinking, you FOOL?&quot;

Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

Charley Lillard
01-29-2013, 01:18 AM
Verne...When they say &quot;And the bid goes on&quot;. That is when it did not sell. They have a sticker they put on the windshield that says &quot;The bid goes on&quot; it also lists the high bid. Then if someone has interest they can go see the offer man and make a offer.

Lynn
01-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Makes me glad I don't have the channel that carries this. Or if I do, I don't know what channel it is. And don't tell me.... I don't have the time to waste.

Anyway, I would be sounding like Verne. Hey buddy, maybe in a few more years we can play Statler and Waldorf in the next Muppets movie.

Statler: &quot;You ready for some quality entertainment?&quot;

Waldorf: &quot;Why, you getting ready to change the channel?&quot;

yellow wagon
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
I too saw this. Going to send an email to the Mecum auctions shortly and see if I get a response. I'm sure they don't care enough to stop her. The damage being caused to these cars is horrific and can't continue

Verne_Frantz
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification Charlie. I don't mean to knock one of the sites sponsors, but I see what I see and I have developed a very negative opinion of most high-end auctions. I've seen (and know of personally) too many shananagans that have taken place with certain cars.
I won't say any more. I'll just crawl back into my cocoon and only deal with facts, rather than opinions (even though some of my facts are also ignored)

Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif

Verne_Frantz
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes me glad I don't have the channel that carries this. Or if I do, I don't know what channel it is. And don't tell me.... I don't have the time to waste.

Anyway, I would be sounding like Verne. Hey buddy, maybe in a few more years we can play Statler and Waldorf in the next Muppets movie.

Statler: &quot;You ready for some quality entertainment?&quot;

Waldorf: &quot;Why, you getting ready to change the channel?&quot; </div></div>

Lynn,
Why don't you submit our names to Velocity and suggest a &quot;comedy hour&quot; at their next auction telecast? It could be a new trend for viewer enjoyment! Boy, I&quot;d have so much fun, I'd do it for free.

Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif

njsteve
01-30-2013, 02:00 AM
I'll join you guys. Then we can really do a Statler and Waldorf routine for real!

BTW, I spoke to Frank Mecum this afternoon about the upcoming Indy event, and I brought up the &quot;Blonde Lady&quot; issue. He said had no idea that was happening and said he would look into it. I most diplomaticly suggested to him to simply watch the video feed of his event and he will know instantly what all the viewers are referring to.

TimG
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Bottom line for me is I watched lots of Mecum live since I couldn't make any auction this year and I recorded all of the auction to watch later. Faults aside, I really enjoy watching the auctions on TV. Years ago, there was no car stuff on TV aside from a race or two on one of the main stations. I'm talking in the 60's and early 70's.

Debbie719
01-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Thank you Mecum for such a good online auction. Great cars - really beautiful cars.

I like the blonde car lady who opens and shuts the hood and door. She has been doing this for the seven plus years that I have been a faithful watcher of Mecum auctions. I hope to continue seeing her working the auctions at Mecum. She puts in long hours, but what a wonderful job she does and has in seeing first hand all of the great cars of various times.

John
01-15-2017, 05:10 PM
... Debbie, Welcome to the site <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

... I think Mecum does an awesome job considering how many cars they run across the stage.

... They are very organized and this is a great event to watch ...or to attend.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

olredalert
01-15-2017, 09:29 PM
----I never, in 5 days, saw her once slam a hood this year. She was noticeably careful!......Bill S

njsteve
01-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Yes. I guess it pays to complain once in a while. Though it has been 4 years since I raised the issue originally.

Welcome to the site, Debbie. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

bobbezss
01-16-2017, 04:49 AM
I beg to differ that Dana is unaware of the problem. I remember reading about this a year or two earlier on another site. Same lady, same problem.

sixtiesmuscle
01-16-2017, 02:23 PM
First, her name is Carol Duckworth, and she is a very nice &amp; gracious lady. When Steve first brought his concerns up, I spoke with Carol &amp; her husband Dan, who also works the block. They took the concern to heart, and my observation is that they are a lot more careful about handling the hoods these days. When you're running up to 35 cars per hour, things can get a little rushed, but that's part of the Mecum excitement. My view is that they never rush cars off the block, as long as there is active bidding.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-16-2017, 03:37 PM
It seemed that Dana got a bit excited at her this year, and then he handled the next several cars - I don't think he liked the handling of the aluminum hoods in Fezell's collection.... I really liked how they didn't rush the cars off, they took their time and allowed some bidders to absorb what they were doing (spending!).