PDA

View Full Version : Home & shop security systems

VintageMusclecar
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Looking for recommendations for a home &amp; shop security system, something DIY and wireless. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span></span> interested in anything like ADT (/Brinks) or anything with remote live monitoring/subscription services.

-Security camera(s) &amp; recording system would be a plus
-Automatic call system to a (specified) telephone #, i.e. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span></span> an automatic call to 911
-Multiple door/window alarms a must

I need to secure two separate residences and my shop. I do not want anything that relies on a cell phone system.

Any suggestions?

WILMASBOYL78
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
This system is defintely DIY..wireless..no cell phone needed..recommend it very highly..never fails <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff433/WILMASBOYL78/rad605D2123901_zps7c4f28a4.jpg

VintageMusclecar
02-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Oh, I've got that angle covered and then some.

Come to find out courtesy of our local Constabulary that our town's being hit with a BAD rash of B&amp;E's. My Suburban got broke into sometime between 9:30 last night and 8:00 this morning. Luckily they didn't get anything of value, but the worthless little bastards didn't stop there...they hit about a 6 block radius, and it's clear that they're casing more potential targets...don't want to go into details there though.

Lynn
02-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear that Eric.

I used the X10 system in my last house. Very pleased with it. Very reasonable. You can opt for sirens, or leave it silent. You can program it to call up to three numbers. I had it calling my cell. It will sense if the call went to voice mail, then call the next number. I had it calling my retired neighbor who kept a loaded shotgun handy. If he didn't answer, it called 911 to report burglary in progress.

I bought it after my home was burglarized in 2007. Turns out my next door neighbor called the police at 2:30 p.m to report suspicios characters in my back yard. They were still in the house when I pulled in the drive at 4:10. Nice, huh? I wrote a scathing letter to the chief of police, my councilman and the Mayor. My letter informed them that I was installing an alarm, but that 911 would be the third option because they can't respond quicker than 1.5 hours!!!!

Got a call from the police chief who apologizes and admits that the 911 operator just miss characterized the nature of the call, so didn't report as possible burglary in progress. He said she dropped the ball. Nice.

Anyway, never had any issues with the X10. They used to sell on ebay, but now only through their website at X10.com. I only paid about 150 for the whole thing, and had left over sensors. It came with 4 key fobs. I think they are a little more costly now, but still very reasonable.

Good luck. Hope you don't have to resort to firepower.

VintageMusclecar
02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Lynn;

This looks <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> promising...thanks!

budnate
02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
I did this a couple of years ago on the cabin, I went with the V-max dvr's, cameras are the snag in the deal, ones that really give you detail are thousands, digital watchdog makes a decent entry level one for about 2/3 bills, a camera under a eve isn't going to get a plate number, you need some belly button high aimed down driveways for that.

ups power all the dvr's and router, and protect your internet connection in conduit, one clip with the dikes and no signal is getting to you!....last thing don't buy those cheesy 600 kits they are junk, see if a ADI store is near you, you want commercial grade gear....I am into my setup about 3k in parts and doing all the labor myself, gives you peace of mind to use your iphone or a pc and connect to the system and look around at things.

http://adiglobal.us/Pages/default.aspx

lots of good google info out there, if you have questions on things ping me. best advice I can give is don't go cheap you will be disapointed especially at night if you have a event and the footage is worthless.

ss427copo
02-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Mmmmm? The only thing that I found reliable enough.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/nhra1060sc/000_0183s.jpg