PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Anyone with higher contacts with FedEx?

VintageMusclecar
03-16-2013, 03:40 PM
I have a pretty bad issue going w/ FedEx right now and I'm getting a serious run-around with the claims department. Does anyone have contact with an "upper-up" @ FedEx who might be able to help me?

Please PM or email, don't post any info in this thread.

Eric

69LM1
03-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Good luck with that..... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Hope it works out for you but I have neer had any luck with claims,

RichPern

SS427
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Nor have I! They smashed one of Jeff Murphy's signs that came here for display and it did not matter how many people I talked to or how many threats I made they never paid a dime and I talked to a LOT of people! I no longer use them and was very happy with them prior to this incident but when a company will not take any responsibility than I am done.

Fast67VelleN2O
03-17-2013, 03:45 PM
FedEx damaged a set of 289 HIPO heads I shipped out. It took 6 months of calls and threats and they would only pay half of what they were insured for (they were insured for 2k). They &quot;lost&quot; the heads somewhere to boot on the return shipment back to me! I've used UPS ever since and have yet to need to file a claim with them yet.

VintageMusclecar
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Looks like FedEx is about to lose two accounts over this one...mine, which I've had for going on 5 years now, and my customers who's had an account with them for <span style="font-weight: bold">30 years</span>.

budnate
03-17-2013, 03:55 PM
hopefully it works out, fyi- neither Co. pays out, brown truck got me on a tunnel ram years ago.

Tracker1
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
I never had a problem with fed ex UNTIL November. They lost the original window sticker, POP, all maintenance records since new and dealership warranty booklet for the pepper green '70 Judge I sold to a guy in B.C. They were ready to call it lost, but I asked for manager after manager and explained the magnitude of what they had done. It took them an entire week to find it in a bag that got left behind at a depot in Ontario. It was a very tense week for me and the new owner of the Judge. Will not use them again. Claims are BS - waste of time. Good Luck.

njsteve
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
When the Mecum pople asked me to send them the original docs for the Charger so they could place them in their safe pending the auction, I laughed and said I would hand deliver them along with the car in May. There is no way I could ever trust anyone with shipping something that is irreplaceable.

ORIGLS6
03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is no way I could ever trust anyone with shipping something that is irreplaceable. </div></div>

Words to live by! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif

VintageMusclecar
03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Has anyone tried taking something like this to small claims court?

Even if it didn't pay out monetarily, I certainly wouldn't mind returning the inconvenience...

MosportGreen66
03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried taking something like this to small claims court?

Even if it didn't pay out monetarily, I certainly wouldn't mind returning the inconvenience... </div></div>\

Eric, don't do that. FedEx will bring a lawyer. Your time will be wasted and better spent in the shop. Small claims is for the lowest of society's bottom feeders. Brokes, deadbeats, and liars. FedEx would use you as a laughing stock.

Fast67VelleN2O
03-17-2013, 07:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Eric, don't do that. FedEx will bring a lawyer. Your time will be wasted and better spent in the shop. Small claims is for the lowest of society's bottom feeders. Brokes, deadbeats, and liars. FedEx would use you as a laughing stock. </div></div>

Not everyone that goes to small claims is a broke liar deadbeat person. Sometimes thats the only avenue an honest person has to make a stand against the broke lying deadbeats.

camaromb
03-17-2013, 07:34 PM
When I shipped a BE 12 bolt a few years ago the buyer had it set up with UPS freight. The bill of lading clearly stated the UPS terminal in Texas for pickup, the skid was well wrapped and labeled. It was insured for $ 7,500 at the time. It was lost for 4 weeks or so, UPS had no answers as to where it was. It finally was delivered (attempted anyway) to the PO box address of the customer. UPS had lost the original bill of lading and they made their own new copy of the bill of lading showing freight prepaid with a new pro #. It took months to straighten that out since UPS was trying to collect from me and the customer with 2 different pro #s. At least the customer finally received the BE. I don't know who you can trust shipping anything of value anymore.

njsteve
03-17-2013, 08:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried taking something like this to small claims court?

Even if it didn't pay out monetarily, I certainly wouldn't mind returning the inconvenience... </div></div>\

Eric, don't do that. FedEx will bring a lawyer. Your time will be wasted and better spent in the shop. Small claims is for the lowest of society's bottom feeders. Brokes, deadbeats, and liars. FedEx would use you as a laughing stock. </div></div>

Bad advice. Small claims court enables you to get a judgement against Fedex, since they wont usually show up to defend it. With that judgement you contact the local sheriff in your county and have the judgement served against property owned by Fedex: usually one of their delivery trucks that just happens to be in your town that day. They seize it for you. Fedex then has your full attention and will very quickly attempt to remedy the situation.

VintageMusclecar
03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried taking something like this to small claims court?

Bad advice. Small claims court enables you to get a judgement against Fedex, since they wont usually show up to defend it. With that judgement you contact the local sheriff in your county and have the judgement served against property owned by Fedex: usually one of their delivery trucks that just happens to be in your town that day. They seize it for you. Fedex then has your full attention and will very quickly attempt to remedy the situation. </div></div>

Just wondering--since I as the shipper had to file the claim with FedEx, should I also be the one to file small claims or should the customer who's carb was lost be the one to file?

FWIW, I'd consider small claims as a &quot;last resort&quot;--I'm trying to resolve this amicably if at all possible.

whitetop
03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
UPS is not any better. Bought a used trunk lid on ebay 65-66 mustang so they are small anyway. I paid the seller extra to really wrap it well-to with mega padding and stryofoam and wood slats- a tank could have run over it and it still came severely dented-the woods slats were 1&quot; thick and 3 of them were broken.

Never did get any money and the ebay seller tried to give me my money back and I refused because he did his job.

njsteve
03-17-2013, 09:53 PM
You would be the one submitting the claim since you contracted for the shipment and paid for the extra insurance, for an item that they lost.

whitetop
03-17-2013, 09:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would be the one submitting the claim since you contracted for the shipment and paid for the extra insurance, for an item that they lost. </div></div>

I did submit the claim and UPS denied it..the seller felt so bad they wanted to refund my money.that does not happen very often.

rubbinisracing
03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried taking something like this to small claims court?

Bad advice. Small claims court enables you to get a judgement against Fedex, since they wont usually show up to defend it. With that judgement you contact the local sheriff in your county and have the judgement served against property owned by Fedex: usually one of their delivery trucks that just happens to be in your town that day. They seize it for you. Fedex then has your full attention and will very quickly attempt to remedy the situation. </div></div>

I like Steve's advice, but users of small claims court must be aware that any judgment in small claims court or non courts of record can be easily appealed &quot;<span style="font-style: italic">Trial De Novo</span>&quot; by cash bond, appeal bond, or proof of real property ownership. In Texas, those appeals go to County Court where you are not required to have an attorney but your bringing a knife to a gun fight if you aren't represented and the other litigant is. Corporations must be represented by an attorney. Nevertheless, I would file suit in small claims court. I believe you will get their attention; your claim with them will be less expensive and less of a headache than hiring local counsel.

Igosplut
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I ordered a windshield for my 66 from Classical Glass(nice people BTW). This young guy shows up in a rental van and backs up to one of my bay doors. By the time I get off the phone to open the bay door, he's throwing the box end over end through the customer entrance. I grab it, give him a stare, and say &quot;do you know what's in this box?&quot;. He just looks at me and shrugs (of course it's written &quot;fragile Glass&quot; all over the box). As I point out the writing, he just stares at me. I tell him &quot;you are going to stand right there while I check this box to see if the glass is broken&quot; (it wasn't). I walked to my toolchest to grab a utility knife, as soon as I had turned around the kid made a beeline for the van. He was pulling out before I even could cut the box.....

chevy427450
03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
A FedEx driver slid on ice, took out my mailbox and burried the truck in my front yard. The local police came and did a report. The FedEx supervisor called me and told me all damages would be repaired including the lawn damage. That was last winter and no one ever called again even after several attempts to get their attention. I now use USPS no matter what it costs.

VintageMusclecar
03-21-2013, 05:23 PM
As of today it appears FedEx is going to take care of the problem in its entirety.

Xplantdad
03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
If they do...congrats!

VintageMusclecar
03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Harrowing experience to say the least.

Frustration levels were off the chart for both my customer and I.

After an initial denial of the claim followed by a borderline heated conversation with a lower level claims representative who only wanted to cover a partial loss, I finally managed to get in contact with a Supervisor who grasped the situation and (tentatively?) agreed to fully cover the loss--upon receipt of verification of the retail value of the item.

Currently awaiting final confirmation.

mockingbird812
03-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Real tools! Hope they come thru Eric!

VintageMusclecar
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Confirmation received today, they're covering the entire loss.

*whew*.

njsteve
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
BTW, what return address do you put on your shipments? I would recommend just putting your name and address and not &quot;Vintage Musclecar Parts&quot;. I ask because there have been several cases over the years of organized thieves that were working at UPS and Fedex Sorting facilities, who would target packages with specific addresses they recognized, like from jewelers and vintage coin grading companies. When they would see an appetizing package they would &quot;accidentally&quot; knock it off the conveyer belt and out of the way of the cameras, to be picked up later.

VintageMusclecar
03-22-2013, 10:48 PM
My FedEx account is set up under the business name. I don't know if I can change the return address or not, I'll have to check.

PeteLeathersac
03-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Great all's being covered Eric, please update us when the dough shows up.
Further to the crook tales Steve mentioned, some package worker bandits just carry their own self addressed labels so no need sneak anything out...slap/bingo new destination and simply wait for it to be delivered.

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

marxjunk
03-29-2013, 02:34 AM
if you have a business account you have a regional manager, you may not know that, but you do, especially if you ship a lot. I had a manager named Michael Steel, and he was a god guy worked hard for me on a couple claims with fedex

I bought a richmend 5 speed, and the brown truck lost it and the seller didnt insure it, I called around and finally found it, they pushed i under a set of steps and forgot it as they where moving packages.

even if they are dorks, i always have great success with kindness, you have to realize they are baraided by everyone they talk to some aggressively..kill em with kindness.

VintageMusclecar
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
This situation has taken a surprising turn for the better...awaiting further details, I'll post up again upon confirmation.

Woj
03-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Eric,

I hope this resolves to your satisfaction.

I want to mention that I have had two successful claims in small claims court over the last 20 years. The beauty of it was that neither time did I have to show up in court. When the other party got the summons, both times I got called and asked what it would take to settle the complaint. Both times I got what I wanted with little to no effort and then cancelled the court appearance. Generally if you are wronged and have the evidence, the other party will not have a leg to stand on and they usually know it. They won't take the time to defend themselves or hire a lawyer to do the same.

Remember, 50% of the people in this world wake up trying to figure out how to screw the other 50% out of their money.

Phil Woj.

As a side note, small claims usually has a fairly low limit on it. In my county it is $3000.

ORIGLS6
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
That 50/50 ratio might be closer to 70/30 Phil. (But I live in Illinois <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif )

Woj
03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORIGLS6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That 50/50 ratio might be closer to 70/30 Phil. (But I live in Illinois <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif ) </div></div>

Dennis,

I think you are right. Anymore you are almost running full time defense against the frauds out there.

Phil Woj.

VintageMusclecar
03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
The lost carb has been located. I'm making arrangements now to get it back here so I can check it over before it goes back to the customer. There's still a couple of hoops to jump through, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel...finally.

I've been asked not to reveal identities, but suffice it to say this is one of those rare times in life when you receive unexpected help thanks to the kindness of a stranger.