PDA

View Full Version : Reverse osmosis systems

Lynn
03-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Have a whole house filter system. Just put in a tankless water heater. Guess I am bit by the plumbing bug this week.

Since Zack's transplant he cannot drink tap water, either well or city water. We are on well water, but it isn't particularly hard. Don't remember the numbers, but the guy who tested it for us for the swimming pool was surprised how "unhard" it was for well water.

Still, we are lugging the 5 gallon bottles to use in a water dispenser for Zack to drink (and for our coffee pot - the well water is hell on coffee pots).

Thinking of installing a RO system under the kitchen sink with a uv treatment piggybacked on it. Only delivers like 2gpm, but it takes 1.5 min just to fill the coffee pot from the current dispenser, so no big deal there.

Just mind boggling how many brands are out there.

Would like to hear what others have used, and if you know, what to stay away from.

Thanks for any help.

m22mike
03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Lynn
I put in a GE undersink system I got from the orange box store about 5 years ago. Works well. Used for drinking and coffee water, our well water is very hard and has iron bacteria a common problem in the mid west.
I can pull off a gallon in less that a minute and then it gets slow. They advertise a couple gallons but that is not the realistic. I think your well tank pressure has allot to do with it.
I installed mine in the basement below the sink area, had to extend the tubing but it works OK.

Mike

olredalert
03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
----Lynn,,,Do yourself a big favor and call my friend Ken Hancock. He has both whole house TOTAL water purification systems and the same slow thing you just described. We have a full set-up here and you just cant get better, purer water. Deionized as well and of course chlorine is removed. If nothing else, by the time you hang up you will know way more about what to get than you do now. His number is 586-725-3286. You wont be disappointed. Use my name,,,Bill Stephenson, when you call......Bill S

Lynn
03-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Ge has two at that store. Frankly, most GE products I have purchased in the last 10 years seem to be way down in quality from what they used to be.

I am also looking at MaxWater. Made in Canada, eh?

They make all kinds of water treatment. Looks like pretty good products for the money.

Looking at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190505330103&fromMakeT rack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Anyone have experience with this co.?

Basement would be nice... if I had one. I am lucky in that our sink is corner mounted so I have plenty of room under the kitchen sink. But I hate working under there. Oh well, not much worse than working under a dash.

m22mike
03-24-2013, 04:03 PM
All car guys need a big basement, that way you don't have to tie up spare bedrooms with parts <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Lynn
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m22mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All car guys need a big basement, that way you don't have to tie up spare bedrooms with parts <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

Which is <span style="font-weight: bold">exactly</span> where I have piled all the parts awaiting installation.

69 Post Sedan
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
We were looking into a getting a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water but we heard there is a lot of wasted water with that type of system. We went with Aquasana.

Aquasana (http://www.aquasana.com/)

Drinking Water Filter Compairsons (http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/drinking-water-filters-reviews/)

Kurt

Lynn
03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
The wastewater aspect does not bother me. we have well water, and an unbelievably high water table. Also on septic, so the waste just goes back to the groundwater. We will only be using about 2 or 3 gallons a day.

With either the aquasana or the r/o, I need the uv to make it safe for Zack.

Vern B
03-24-2013, 11:32 PM
If you want the best possible water, look at the Berkey water
filtration systems. They are manual, but easy to use and provide
the best water possible.

RO systems take essential minerals out beside the bad stuff.

I have both a RO and Berkey and we only drink/cook with Berkey water today.

firstgenaddict
03-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I have heard nothing but good things regarding the Berkley system.

Lynn
04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the lead Bill. Talked to Ken at length yesterday.

Talked to the kidney doc this morning and he gave the OK for either system, deionization or the Berkey purifier.

Vern, on the Berkey system, I understand that the water just pours in the top chamber and gravity does the rest. If I choose to place the unit in the pantry (which is where our current water dispenser is) can I remove the top chamber, take it to the sink for filling and then take it back into the pantry to place on the bottom chamber. In other words, is there any type of &quot;shut off&quot;? Don't want to be leaking water on the floor from the sink to the pantry.

Also, do you have the sight glass tap so you can moniter the level? If not, how do you know when it is getting low?

Thanks for any help.

olredalert
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
----Lynn,,,Ken could talk a dog off a meat truck but he really knows this stuff. For instance, I got the chlorine removal system and I cant describe how great the showers are. Chlorine dries out your skin and when its removed, especially during the winter, the showers are fantastic........Bill S

Lynn
04-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Bill:

Sending Ken a water sample to get his recommendation.

Vern B
04-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Lynn

Sorry, I'm on vacation in Australia for five weeks and haven't been online much. You would have to carry water to the upper unit as it starts filtering as soon as you pour water in it. I do have the glass sight gauge so you always know how much is in the lower unit. I promise it's the sweetest water you will ever drink.

Lynn
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
No need to apologize. I'm jealous. Hope you are having a great time. Sent a water sample to Bill's buddy,and am still investigating.

Lots of conflicting info out there.

I appreciate the input.