PDA

View Full Version : A quick tutorial on how NOT to ship carburetors

VintageMusclecar
03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
(I was going to post this in my sponsors forum, but since this one gets much more traffic and it's important that people see this I decided to post it here)

So...around 8:30 this morning I get a phone call on the business line. I almost didn't answer it since it's before hours, but when I glanced at the caller ID it said &quot;US Government&quot;, so I figured I'd probably better answer it. ( <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif )

On the other end of the line was a rather <span style="font-style: italic">surly</span> man from the local Post Office asking to speak to someone from &quot;Vintage...uh...muscle...uh...&quot;

To parse down a unnecessarily unpleasant conversation, said fellow informs me that there's a package there addressed to the business, and that there was some sort of &quot;oily substance&quot; on the box that appeared to be leaking from whatever was inside the box. He mentions the senders name and address and asks me what I'm expecting from said sender, to which I inform him I'm not familiar with this sender and I'm not expecting anything from them.

I informed him that I restore carburetors and that it was likely some residual fuel that the sender had failed to drain...whereupon he begins to berate <span style="font-weight: bold">me</span> over the issue. I politely remind him that I'm not the one who <span style="font-style: italic">sent</span> the package, and that while I always try to remind customers to make sure their carbs are dry before shipping, sometimes one slips by. Next I'm briefly lectured on his concern for the safety of his employees...to which I completely understand and I'm fully in agreement with, but <span style="font-style: italic">again</span>, I'm not the one who <span style="font-style: italic">sent</span> the package.

He informs me that someone will need to come by and pick up the package.

Rachel kindly obliges and returns with this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2013_03270001_zps51a24da9.jpg

Here's the &quot;substance&quot; on the top of the box.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2013_03270002_zps6ff1bcaa.jpg

What he described as said &quot;oily substance&quot; appears to be dried glue or epoxy that had been spilled on the box <span style="text-decoration: underline">prior</span> to shipping since it was underneath the packing tape.

As if that wasn't enough, here's the bottom of the box.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2013_03270005_zps45df75ad.jpg

But wait!...it gets better!

Here's what I find when I open the box; note that I didn't remove anything, this was exactly how it was packed &amp; shipped.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2013_03270003_zpsd0e81815.jpg

I removed a hand-full of crumpled papers and found this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/VMCP777/2013_03270004_zps9a22761e.jpg

Yep. They got banged up, but I didn't see anything that can't be fixed.

The point of this post is twofold (and it's <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> to raise hell with the sender):

1) For <span style="font-weight: bold">MY</span> sake: Please make sure that whatever you box your items up in isn't contaminated with anything that might cause undue distress by whomever may be handling said package. (I'm probably on some DHS watchlist now...<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif )

2) For <span style="font-weight: bold">YOUR</span> sake: Please make sure your items are packed securely.

KevinW
03-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Wow, I am speechless! The test I always do is to close the top without taping it and shake it. If you hear or feel and movement, go back and do it again <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif double bagging those carbs would help also!

olredalert
03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
----Wait till you see that quadrajet I just sent you yesterday, Eric. I can safely say that you can use mine as a better way picture......Bill S

WILMASBOYL78
03-27-2013, 06:30 PM
You want me to post some pictures of the infamous &quot;Tom Williams Blue Box&quot; <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

chevy427450
03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
This is great advice. I have received shipped items from sellers on ebay in much the same packaging. Thanks for taking to time to post this.

Nick

kwhizz
03-31-2013, 10:36 AM
And.....This is why the shipping companies tend to not honor Insurance claims for damage.....

SS427
03-31-2013, 04:36 PM
They usually don't honor them regardless of how well they were packaged. I once received a box with forklift tracks across the crushed box and my claim was denied due to &quot;inadequate packaging&quot;. Ya think????

Xplantdad
03-31-2013, 04:49 PM
One day when I was leaving work to go home...I asked the UPS driver who was there to pick up the boxes that were shipping that day (About 40 boxes) he was just throwing the boxes in the back of the truck, since what was in them is valuable and pretty fragile. He said, &quot;Like I care&quot;. I pointed him towards Lynn who was sitting in our car...and let him know that she was taking video. I also let him know that our UPS account rep was coming soon on his quarterly visit to meet up with our quality manager. Once the account rep saw the video...we had a new driver...LOL