PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 Wheels and Tires

Damien
04-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Hi guys.
After looking around here for a bit, I am going to go down the day 2 road with my "69 Chevelle when it arrives to me here in Australia.
I am going to start with a set of 15" SS Cragar wheels. I think 15x4.5 for the front and maybe 15x8 for the rear.
I am thinking 15x8 for the rear as I would like a bit of sidewall bulge as opposed to the look of today with the rim the same width as the tire.
Given that it has the factory 12 bolt, I can get a 275 tire under it no problem. What does everyone think would be the best rear wheel option, 15x8 or should I look at the 15x10 with a wider tire again? I am just a little hesitant with the 10" rim and a bigger tire as I may have people in the back from time to time and don't want any rubbing concerns. Also can someone shed some light on available tire options that will give me the period correct look I am after? As for stance, I was thinking of lowering the rear of the car a little to give it that "nose in the air" look.
Just looking to get a head start on some things so I can hit the ground running when the car arrives.
Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

whitetop
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Damien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys.
As for stance, I was thinking of lowering the rear of the car a little to give it that &quot;nose in the air&quot; look.
</div></div>

Are you sure? Don't make it look like a gasser which these cars never where.

69 Post Sedan
04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Damien, a 275 tire will fit fine on a 8&quot; wheel but you have to run a 4-1/2&quot; backspace.

You <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> run a 10&quot; wide wheel but the body has to be centered perfect with the frame/rearend and that wheel needs a 5-1/2&quot; backspace.

Kurt

TDW
04-14-2013, 07:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Damien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys.
As for stance, I was thinking of lowering the rear of the car a little to give it that &quot;nose in the air&quot; look.
</div></div>

Are you sure? Don't make it look like a gasser which these cars never where. </div></div>

It needs to be raised in the rear and stock height in the front. At least that's the way we all had them back then. I set my 70 BB Nova up that way too when I built it a few years ago.

olredalert
04-14-2013, 10:17 PM
----If day 2 is what you really want stick with the 8 or 8 1/2. No one back then ran 10s on Chevelles......Bill S

PxTx
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
When was then? There always seems to be some different ideas of what Day 2 is.

L78M22Rag
04-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say &quot;day two&quot; was the day after you got a car home from the dealership and swapped the factory wheels, tires, exhaust manifolds, etc. for aftermarket wheels, headers, etc.... and then went out to show off your new ride.

Damien
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Damien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys.
</div></div>

Are you sure? Don't make it look like a gasser which these cars never where. </div></div>

Not after the gasser look, but my understanding was when the SS Chevelle left the factory it was a little higher in the front than the rear.

Damien
04-14-2013, 11:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69 Post Sedan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damien, a 275 tire will fit fine on a 8&quot; wheel but you have to run a 4-1/2&quot; backspace.

You <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> run a 10&quot; wide wheel but the body has to be centered perfect with the frame/rearend and that wheel needs a 5-1/2&quot; backspace.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. I think I will go with the 8&quot; wheel on the rear.

</div></div>

TDW
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was then? There always seems to be some different ideas of what Day 2 is. </div></div>

For me, that would be the very early 70's.