PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Buick

Double_Nickle
08-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I have a 1955 Buick Super with a 322 Nailhead. One of the valves stuck a few days ago. Any suggestions on getting it unstuck?

08-16-2013, 03:40 AM
A stuck valve usually means a siezure of the valve stem to the valve guide. Probably have to pull the head.

firstgenaddict
08-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Pull the valve cover and ensure the cam isn't rounded.
IF the valve is stuck open drip some marvel mystery oil down the stem, then take a rawhide mallet and rap the valve a few times to see if it will seat itself or if there is another issue such as galling or bent stem etc etc.

68z28kk
08-17-2013, 10:51 PM
If the car has been sitting for 10 months or more and the valve stuck on initial start up I would look for varnish in the fuel. Non leaded fuel turns yellow the longer it sits and will stick a valve very quickly. It takes carburetor cleaner or lacquer thinner to cut the varnish on the valve guides but with some time and technique it can be unstuck without pulling the head.
If this is the scenario that occurred I can explain how to unstick it if it wasn't bent from piston contact after it stuck. Clint

Double_Nickle
09-30-2013, 02:03 AM
the car actually sat for 3 years before I got it being started randomly. I drove it for 2 weeks before it stuck. Have tried marvel mystery and a few other things. Have resigned to pulling the head as soon as time permits. Can't find a mechanic in the area to do it for me and my time is limited since I work 84 hours a week. Thanks for the input.

Lynn
09-30-2013, 02:30 AM
Two door hardtop? Not that it matters for this issue. I just really like the 55 Buick Special. Would have bought a really nice black and white one a few months ago if I did't have too much going right now.

I agree with James. Before you pull the head, give it a few light taps with a rawhide or even a plastic mallet.