PDA

View Full Version : The New Z/28...

markinnaples
10-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Apparently rocks the 'ring:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/10/1...at-nurburgring/ (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/10/15/2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-has-good-fast-time-at-nurburgring/)

flyingn
10-15-2013, 04:41 PM
rocking. got up to 161 mph..

Tracker1
10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
watched the video. Great car, but I figured it would break 170 mph for sure on that straightaway with 505 horses.

Mr.Nickey Nova
10-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Might have had a little better time if it didn't start to rain.

mockingbird812
10-16-2013, 12:52 AM
<span style="font-size: 17pt">Sounds <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">terrific</span></span>. And what a lap! Lacking in the looks department though (am an expert as I own a '62 Plymouth <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif )</span>

XXXGoldL34M20
10-16-2013, 01:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Sounds <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">terrific</span></span>. Lacking in the looks department though (am an expert as I own a '62 Plymouth <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif )</span> </div></div>

Glad you said it first Sam.
I just can not get myself to like this car in the looks department, I call it the Fugly mobile which is part Funny and Ugly at the same time. Shelby's Rule!!

bashton
10-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Gee...I wonder if we'll see one of these at MCACN in the special <span style="font-style: italic">Z/28 Invitational</span> display November 23-24. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

markinnaples
10-16-2013, 01:41 PM
I really like the changes they made to the 2014 Camaro, and I think the rear taillights look much better than the prior ones. It continues to grow on me.

Keith Seymore
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the changes they made to the 2014 Camaro, and I think the rear taillights look much better than the prior ones. It continues to grow on me. </div></div>

Wow. I am the exact opposite (although I didn't love the previous taillights, either. They looked like &quot;angry eyes&quot;).

(lol)

K

70 Forest Green Zee
10-16-2013, 02:18 PM
What a car!!!! I think they should give it another chance on a dry track.....may be able to beat the ZR1 and the Viper if the track is dry!!

ktownkid
10-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Something happened to me along the way......have no desire to go that fast....ever.

ktownkid <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Charley Lillard
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Press release:

Track-capable Camaro Z/28 Validated at Nürburgring
· Z/28 undergoes 10 hours or 1,000 miles of testing at Nordschleife
· Fastest lap completed in 7:37.40 in rainy conditions

DETROIT – Chevrolet today revealed a video of the all-new, 2014 Camaro Z/28 lapping Germany’s challenging Nürburgring road course in 7:37.40, a time comparable with some of the world’s most prestigious sports cars.

The Z/28’s lap is four seconds faster than the Camaro ZL1, and beats published times for the Porsche 911 Carrera S and the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. The Z/28’slap was completed on less-than-ideal conditions, with damp pavement and pouring rain near the end of the run.

&quot;One of the challenges of testing at the 'Ring is that the track is so long that conditions can change radically in a single lap,&quot; said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. &quot;Adam Dean, the development driver for Z/28, did a heroic job driving in deteriorating conditions. Based on telemetry data from our test sessions, we know the Z/28 can be as much as six seconds faster on a dry track.&quot;

In terms of lap times, the Z/28’s improved speed came from three areas:

· Increased grip: The Z/28 is capable of 1.08 g in cornering acceleration, due to comprehensive chassis revisions
· Increased stopping power: The Z/28 features Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes capable of 1.5 g in deceleration, and consistent brake feel lap after lap
· Reduced curb weight: The naturally aspirated Z/28 weighs 300 pounds less than the supercharged Camaro ZL1, with changes ranging from lightweight wheels to thinner rear-window glass.

The heart of the Z/28 is the 7.0L LS7 engine. The LS7 uses lightweight, racing-proven, high-performance components, such as titanium intake valves and connecting rods, CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads and a forged-steel crankshaft to help produce an SAE-certified 505 horsepower (376 kW) and 481 lb-ft of torque (652 Nm). Air-conditioning is available, but only as an option.

A close-ratio six-speed manual transmission is the only transmission offered and power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential featuring a helical gear set, rather than traditional clutch packs. The new design enables the driver to apply more power and get through corners faster, by making the most of the capability of individual-wheel antilock brake function during corner entry braking, mid-corner speed and corner-exit traction.

The team spent a week at the Nürburgringas part of the Z/28's performance-validation regimen, accumulating a total of 10 hours and nearly 1,000 miles on the track. Each lap took less than eight minutes to complete, despite having to overtake slower traffic at times. These hours are part of the grueling 24-Hour Test, which simulates a full year's worth of track use of track days or amateur-level competition at the hands of an owner.

“Passing the 24-Hour Test is a requirement for all cars we call 'track capable,’” said Wayne McConnell, director of global vehicle performance. &quot;The test pushes the car at 10/10ths on the track for a total of 24 hours. During the test the only mechanical changes allowed are replacing the brakes and tires.”

The 24-Hour Test is broken into a number of segments over the course of several days – and even at different tracks – to evaluate performance in precisely measured and carefully monitored increments. Crucially, each valid test lap must be run within 2 percent of a target lap speed to count toward the 24-hour total.

The 24-Hour Test was first used in the early 1990s for the fourth-generation Corvette. Back then, the 300-horsepower Corvette was Chevrolet’s most powerful vehicle, and the 24-Hour Test measured 15 channels of data. Today, the 2014 Camaro LS offers a 323-horsepower V-6, while the Camaro Z/28’s racing-proven LS7 7.0L small-block V-8 delivers 505 horsepower, and the 24-Hour Test measures 130 channels of data.

“Our cars' performance and capability have advanced tremendously in the past 20 years, which required us to continually improve the parameters of the 24-Hour Test,&quot; said McConnell.

&quot;Today’s test pushes the car harder than the vast majority of customers ever will. As a result, when we call a car ‘track capable’ we are confident that it will perform reliably and consistently for our customers.”

Tenney
10-17-2013, 05:27 AM
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Lynn
10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Sounds <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">terrific</span></span>. And what a lap! Lacking in the looks department though (am an expert as I own a '62 Plymouth <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif )</span> </div></div>

Sam, I realize this is tongue in cheek. But seriously, looking at a 62 Plymouth (hell, ANY 62 Mopar product is ugly as sin) has affected your vision.
Yes, looks are subjective. There is a reason we say &quot;beauty is in the eye of the beholder&quot;, but the Camaro looks have really grown on me.

I think it looks great.

mockingbird812
10-17-2013, 02:23 PM
My point Lynn, is that when you start throwing plastic wheel well extensions on this car, it stops <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">visually</span></span></span> being an integrated purpose built car, but sort of an after thought to stuffing bigger wheels/tires in the wells. If you consider the standard Corvette vs. Z06 - I think it would look strange if they just put fender extenders on the Z06 rather than a new integrated wider quarter panel. Of course it costs a lot more to put new quarter panels on but the integrated look is bold, functional, and terrific looking!

Stefano
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Especially when you consider that the wider tires/wheels will fit both front and rear and properly tuck into the wheel wells.

Here is more on the Z28.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tv8I-gqc6sc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tv8I-gqc6sc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

mockingbird812
10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Wonder if you can delete the wheel well extensions?

Lynn
10-17-2013, 05:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point Lynn, is that when you start throwing plastic wheel well extensions on this car, it stops <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">visually</span></span></span> being an integrated purpose built car, but sort of an after thought to stuffing bigger wheels/tires in the wells. If you consider the standard Corvette vs. Z06 - I think it would look strange if they just put fender extenders on the Z06 rather than a new integrated wider quarter panel. Of course it costs a lot more to put new quarter panels on but the integrated look is bold, functional, and terrific looking! </div></div>

Point well taken. Actually, I <span style="font-weight: bold">agree</span> it looks <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span> without the extensions. My wife's MRoadster certainly would look crappy if BMW just put extensions on the regular body rather than using the wider body.
They just aren't enough to run me off on the Camaro.
Hey, if it is a hit, maybe they will integrate it in a future model. They will need to do something to improve it to keep sales up. Personally, I think it will be a sales flop, which is what will make it collectable in 30 years.

Sam, I think we should fight over this until we can no longer be friends. I drew first blood by insulting your Plymouth.

mockingbird812
10-17-2013, 06:10 PM
<span style="font-size: 14pt">&quot;Insult&quot;? I took that as a compliment re my Plymouth!!!!! (BTW, always been my wife's favorite car <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif)</span>

P.S. I am intrigued by your challenge to &quot;...<span style="font-style: italic">fight over this until we can no longer be friends.</span>&quot; Let me give that some thot and get back to you! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif

P.S.S. What's not to love? (notice there are no plastic wheel well extensions.... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mockingbird812/62%20Savoy/image_zpsf049d9e3.jpg

XXXGoldL34M20
10-17-2013, 06:50 PM
That car is not Fugly
It is COOL <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

69 Post Sedan
10-17-2013, 06:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Especially when you consider that the wider tires/wheels will fit both front and rear and properly tuck into the wheel wells.

Here is more on the Z28.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tv8I-gqc6sc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tv8I-gqc6sc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

&quot;At least four seconds faster than the Boss 302&quot; <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif

Kurt

Xplantdad
10-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Lynn...you crack me up!

Lynn
10-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Danny is half right. That car <span style="font-weight: bold">is</span> cool. No doubt about it. But... partly it is cool BECAUSE it is so ugly.

Apologies to the thread in general for the disintegration of subject matter. And apologies to the new fantastic Z/28.

Sam: You are worried that the Camaro isn't &quot;integrated&quot; enough????? Seriously? You are worried about fender extensions? Fender extensions would be an improvement on the Plymouth. I have seen better looking road kill.

That Plymouth looks like it was styled by two botards starting at opposite ends and meeting in the middle where they went into simultaneous seizures.

Other than the styling, I really like the car. Worked on lots of Mopars in the 70's, including a lot of 60's Mopars. Liked them mechanically, but just couldn't get past the styling on most. I do like the first gen Barracuda.

And please apologize to your wife, even if it was a bit of a cheap stunt to pull her into this. Out of respect for her, I held back on my true feelings about the styling.

Oh, nice paint on the Plymouth. Trying my best to end upbeat.

mockingbird812
10-18-2013, 02:28 AM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif you need to come out of your shell more Lynn?! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif

BTW, u are very close on your supposition that 2 guys designed the car , <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif

P.S. &quot;cheap stunts&quot; <span style="font-style: italic">CAN</span> be effective!

njsteve
10-18-2013, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BTW, u are very close on your supposition that 2 guys designed the car , <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif

</div></div>

Yeah, an old guy and a young guy! And they refused to talk to each other. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

twertsy
10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Yeah, an old guy and a young guy! And they refused to talk to each other. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

That says it all......Congress designed it!

Lynn
10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif you need to come out of your shell more Lynn?! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif

P.S. &quot;cheap stunts&quot; <span style="font-style: italic">CAN</span> be effective! </div></div>

Touche' my friend.

And I agree 100% on the &quot;cheap stunts&quot;.

By the way, I had no idea that there really were apparently at least two guys kind of working against each other on the design when I posted that. That is just what the car looks like to me. After you said I was &quot;close&quot;, I did some research. Apparently someone in upper managemet dictated some downsizing after the initial designs started, and they were in a huge hurry to finish things up in time for release.

Look here: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featu...op/viewall.html (http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/b_body/mopp_1006_1962_plymouth_fury_hardtop/viewall.html)

The article starts out: &quot;It's so ugly, it's beautiful.&quot; I disagree, but I DO agree that it is so ugly it is cool. If I was offered a cherry 62 Fury with a 413 and manual trans, I would love to have that car. I think there are two left. They made like 10, right, and two survive?

mockingbird812
10-18-2013, 11:22 PM
This is a Lu-Lu......A Chrysler exec overheard what he thot was a plan to downsize GM full size cars so he ordered Virgil Exner, chief design engineer, to downsize his full size line up at the 11th hour and the rest is history.

I suspect there were more manual 413 Furys than ten (I don't have my numbers book with me), but, for example, they made 116 Savoys (base model) with the 413 and about 50 of those were manual trannys (like mine). Darrell Davis has a wonderful registry which documents the remaining Max Wedge Plymouths and Dodges. He is a former Chrysler Exec who has a tremendous amount of knowledge and passion for the Super Stock era (62-65) of Max Wedge and Hemi cars. BTW the Fury was the 3rd tier up in a line up starting with Savoy, then Belvedere, Fury, Sport Fury.

Lynn
10-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Which is why the execs shouldn't be designing cars.

I was just making up the &quot;made 10 with 2 left&quot;. Just knew there weren't many.