PDA

View Full Version : 1990 ZR-1

Lynn
11-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Considering purchasing a 1990 ZR-1 with some mild modifications. Has already had the windshield replaced with standard Corvette windshield.
Low mileage car (under 13k)
I have not seen the car yet, but will not purchase unless I get the chance to inspect in person.

I know for the purist, the mods are a killer. I don't care about that. Car will never be judged. It is just to have fun. It is not an investment choice. None of the mods scare me. Just asking generally:

Anyone have/had a 1990 ZR-1?
What common issues come up (other than windshield delam)?

olredalert
11-08-2013, 12:30 AM
----It has to have been at least 10-12 years ago now and I was in Cali at the Donut Derelicts. Started talking to a guy with a ZR-1 and found out that he had way over 100,000 miles on it. He had had virtually no more problems than a normal, similar year Corvette owner would have had and he said, quote; "I bought it to use". He had certainly done that. Ive wondered a couple of times if hes still putting around in it......Bill S

old5.0
11-08-2013, 04:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering purchasing a 1990 ZR-1 with some mild modifications. Has already had the windshield replaced with standard Corvette windshield.
Low mileage car (under 13k)
I have not seen the car yet, but will not purchase unless I get the chance to inspect in person.

I know for the purist, the mods are a killer. I don't care about that. Car will never be judged. It is just to have fun. It is not an investment choice. None of the mods scare me. Just asking generally:

Anyone have/had a 1990 ZR-1?
What common issues come up (other than windshield delam)? </div></div>

Purists may cringe, but they also won't pay. Those are terribly undervalued cars. Not only quick by the standards of the time, they're quick by today's standards as well and that's saying something.

A guy in my hometown has had one since the late 90's. It's still used regularly, and even saw some street racing action back when we were all younger and dumber. He never had a problem with it that I was aware of.

bergy
11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I had one of the first 1990 ZR-1s when they came out. They are great cars and I agree - way undervalued today.

flyingn
11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
my buddy had one new in 89 and he street raced it in Philly.. Black on black. He later sold it and the next guy painted it red and showed it locally. Never had any problems with it .. either guy. Was a damn fast car.

Lynn
11-08-2013, 07:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyingn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my buddy had one new in 89 and he street raced it in Philly.. Black on black. He later sold it and the next guy painted it red and showed it locally. Never had any problems with it .. either guy. Was a damn fast car. </div></div>

The car I am looking at has been changed from black to red. Has some engine mods (including headers and no cats, which is not a problem in OK). Ran 11.7 on street tires with an amatuer driver and no practice runs.

The car is about 11 hours away, and I just can't bring myself to purchase without looking at it personally. I simply can't get away until the first week of Dec.

If he still has it, I may make the trip then. If he sells it, well there is always another one around the corner.

I agree, way undervalued. Besides, that engine just LOOKS cool, especially the 8 intake runners.

This would actually be Sherri's weekend cruiser. She loves her MRoadster, but we are thinking of taking it to the next level. I think she is a HP freak.

Thanks for the input.

302moz
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I owned a 91 for years. Zero problems, ran great,fast. Wish I still had it. Way under valued today. Spent more on paint and body labor on my 68 z then I sold the zr1 for. Sick !

Salvatore
11-08-2013, 09:02 PM
You have been know to be a little sick Johnny K.

jbsides
11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey Bill,

I'm at Donut Derelicts every Saturday morning at 6. If you provide some specifics, I'll look for the car and ask around. I run into NovaJoe and a couple other board members from time to time, they might know if it is still around.

JB