PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Charities

Mr70
11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Choose wisely if you donate items this season.
I personally won't give anything to Goodwill.That entire entity is misleading.

Material_Boy
11-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for posting that. A real eye opener to say the least.

WILMASBOYL78
11-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I personally like to work as close to home as possible...local food pantry is one of my first choices. Even, better volunteer to help at a local food pantry...very rewarding.

have a happy...wilma

68l30
11-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks, I don't feel so bad about scoring a deal at Goodwill now. I canvas the place near me for antiques and collectables weekly. Just scored a early 1950's Ka-Bar knife display case...repurposed it as a display case for my Pure oil stuff...

BIG

68l30
11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Pics...

PxTx
11-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Seems like a lot of misinformation. I searched this on Snopes.com and it seems to discredit the chart. Not sure who is right but the chart feels a little sensational.

PxTx
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Double post from phone

VintageMusclecar
11-14-2013, 07:36 PM
FWIW, Snopes isn't exactly a reliable resource.

njsteve
11-14-2013, 08:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, Snopes isn't exactly a reliable resource. </div></div>

Did you find that fact on Snopes, too. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

PxTx
11-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I honestly thought Snopes was a reliable source. What's the story with them?

Xplantdad
11-14-2013, 08:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, Snopes isn't exactly a reliable resource. </div></div>

Did you find that fact on Snopes, too. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif </div></div>

LOL Steve!

twertsy
11-14-2013, 09:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly thought Snopes was a reliable source. What's the story with them? </div></div>

I&quot;ll try and stay &quot;non political,&quot; but, send them an email questioning one of their write-ups, particularly one that goes against the current yahoos in power.......the reply is.........let's say unprofessional.

VintageMusclecar
11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Let's just say they have a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">definite</span></span> political agenda.

Ask yourself this: <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;Who 'snopes' Snopes?&quot;</span>

twertsy
11-14-2013, 10:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VintageMusclecar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's just say they have a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">definite</span></span> political agenda.

Ask yourself this: <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;Who 'snopes' Snopes?&quot;</span> </div></div>

Well put.......Period

Ngtflyr
11-15-2013, 03:44 AM
I donate a ton of money to a charity called the IRS. They turn my hard earned money into food stamps, free phones, housing assistance, medical assistance, etc, etc.

Lynn
11-15-2013, 03:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ngtflyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I donate a ton of money to a charity called the IRS. They turn my hard earned money into food stamps, free phones, housing assistance, medical assistance, etc, etc. </div></div>

You forgot the biggest black hole for your tax dollars: waste. I don't know the exact figures, but it seems like they turn each dollar into about 30 cents worth of (sometiems questionable) services.

twertsy
11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Owning a company who's sole objective is to consult on increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of government entities, I can tell you, in my opinion, 30 cents is being generous. That being said, several factors severely inhibit them from being efficient. The foremost problem they have is the way the budget works, &quot;use it or lose it.&quot; For example, if the government was a farmer and was allocated 100 seeds to plant in the current year but only needed to plant (and therefore only planted) 50 seeds, regardless of his following year requirement he would only get 50 seeds. There is no such thing as &quot;requirements-based&quot; planning around here. Now I'll probably get fired since I wrote this on their computer........

twertsy
11-15-2013, 10:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twertsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Owning a company who's sole objective is to consult on increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of government entities, I can tell you, in my opinion, 30 cents is being generous. That being said, several factors severely inhibit them from being efficient. The foremost problem they have is the way the budget works, &quot;use it or lose it.&quot; For example, if the government was a farmer and was allocated 100 seeds to plant in the current year but only needed to plant (and therefore only planted) 50 seeds, regardless of his following year requirement he would only get 50 seeds. There is no such thing as &quot;requirements-based&quot; planning around here. Now I'll probably get fired since I wrote this on their computer........ </div></div> EDIT: on top of this, you absolutely cannot use what was left over last year for the following year, it's illegal.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
11-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Exactly why us accountants just shake our heads when we learn 'government accounting' in college - which takes up all of about 2-3 chapters in the Advanced Accounting textbook, that's it. What a mess they weave......

I will say that you need to pay a competitive salary in order to retain a good CEO at any sizable organization, so while the CEO pay that is listed in the chart appears exorbitant I wouldn't expect it to be 'peanuts' either. If you put a cheap CEO in place... well, you get what you pay for. Also, keep in mind that the NHRA enjoys Not-for-Profit tax status, and the CEO makes &gt;$700k/yr for about a $200M/yr organization! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif