PDA

View Full Version : Car Show Etiquette

69hurstSC
11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
A fun little blog I put together on the unwritten rules of attending a car show. Car Show Etiquette (http://www.motorbooks.com/motorbooks-blog/Car-Show-Etiquette/140)

Fast67VelleN2O
11-19-2013, 03:01 PM
My 1967 Mustang fastback has a very old paintjob that I am never going to get fixed since I love the patina. I stopped bringing it to actual shows because people loved to poke hard (with the finger) at a few small rust spots in the paint at the base of my A-pillars. Who does that seriously?

CC Rider
11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Nice piece Wes.

One day I didn't feel the urge to display my window sticker and left it on the left side rear floor. Saw someone at Pavilions reach inside the car, pick it up, then dropped it back inside after reading it. Took place as I walked across the parking lot to "talk" to this person.

Lot's more stories to tell, maybe some other day.

68l30
11-19-2013, 06:08 PM
There was a thread here not too long ago about the same thing, lots of good stories. Some shows have better quests than others... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/stupid.gif

BIG

earntaz
11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Had my 67' Vette in a car show (with plastic chain surrounding it) and a man and wife starting to talk to me about the car -- before anyone could &quot;holy sh--&quot; their little 4 year old son was under the chain and grabbed the door rearview mirror to pull himself up to look inside the Vette' ... pulled the mirror off the door. I am a Vietnam vet and honest, I did not go crazzzzzy -- they left. The TAZ

69hurstSC
11-21-2013, 01:00 PM
My brother was showing his 69 Stingray at a local show a few years back. We were out walking the show field and upon our return we witnessed a lady open up his car door, sit down, and have another person take her photo. My brother being very non-confrontational just let it slide. That's not even the worst part...

The next spring at another local show we saw merchandise with his 69 Stingray adorning it (cups, posters etc..) The lady was airbrushed out of the photo. We thought about hiring a lawyer, and should have, but never did.

WILMASBOYL78
11-21-2013, 01:14 PM
It should be the responsibility of the show organizers to help educate the patrons...I would imagine most shows, especially the large ones will tell you they are not responsible and you are there at &quot;your own risk&quot;...well, that might be true for the local cruise nite...but, if they collect money for an entry fee they should be responsible to some level. I rarely attend shows anymore...not worth the aggravation.

wilma

Smokey
11-21-2013, 01:56 PM
This like a few years back when I went to the Jefferson Swap Meet. I went that year as a spectator and they made us park in a corn field cause the parking lot got rained out. I got stuck in the ditch they made us drive through and guess I threw some mud at some ones car. So after I parked and went into the swap meet, the guy with the car that I guess I got mud on came and keyed my truck. I said something when I left to the guys working the lot, he says &quot;Ya we all seen the guy do it but oh well. He was pissed at you for the mud.&quot; I go what?? I was so pissed. I had a chat with Gary about it but even he didn't care or give a hoot about it.

twertsy
11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Last fall, on a beautiful fall evening here in VA I took the Shelby (vert) to my Friday night bowling league. I parked at the end of a row by the side door and left the top down as I normally do. Midway through our games, I stepped out to have a smoke to find 2 teenagers sitting on top of my doors, feet on the seats inside the car, having a grand ole time. They got their exercise that night....although, 4 middle age smokers trying to run down a couple svelte teenagers must have been a funny sight.

earntaz
11-22-2013, 12:12 AM
You're spot on Wilma -- take you car into a car show on a Friday morning, babysit the ride all weekend, answer over a zillion questions, pull out Sunday afternoon ... just to say &quot;you show your car&quot;. Not worth it anymore. At some point a person realizes they built the car for themselves, family and close friends to enjoy. The TAZ

XXXGoldL34M20
11-22-2013, 01:40 AM
I hate shows that have awards at the end of the day or night that win based on voting ballets by car owners or the show representatives that pick there friends cars anyways. Too political for me to see a sh@t box win when everyone knows he had the most friends there stuffing the voting box or the show rep was clearly a friend of the car that won.

Just do the damn show without awards and everyone has a good time with no BS.

KCCC_BB
11-22-2013, 02:30 AM
This thread brings to mine something that happend at the World of Wheels in Kansas City some time ago, 96 or 97 I think. We had a club display that was roped off. Everyone was off looking and talking and I was on my way back when I heard my wife yelling in not so nice tone. She came upon a guy who had gone under the rope, got in a car; and was having his picture taken. The guy was kind of taken back by my wife's action, kind of &quot;I didn't hurt anything&quot; look. Gee, what are the ropes for???? It still comes up in club conversation when we talk about old shows from the past.

old5.0
11-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Haven't been to a car show in years and don't miss it a bit. The only show in recent memory I've been interested in attending is MCACN, and I haven't had the opportunity to get there yet.

CanCOPO
11-22-2013, 10:03 AM
I am always amazed at the &quot;car show experts&quot; that abound. Lots of people advising that I had to change the original interior in my COPO if I wanted to win. Lots of people advising that my 69 Z28 wasn't real as it has power steering yet they had no issues with the one next to me with an auto transmission and AC.

Ryan1969Chevelle
11-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Those Automatic Z's are really really rare:-)

I hear the comments and sometimes see bad behavior at shows but personally love cars shows and all the great people I meet.

A few bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch.

Don't write off car shows, but if you bring a supercar maybe have someone stay with her.

Ryan

Tommy
11-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I like car shows but I like to get in and get out. The Cruises and quicky shows like the cars and coffee type stuff is really fun. I'm definitely in agreement with keeping people out of cars and off cars but i'm not so picky that a flyer laying in my front seat is going to get me all torqued up. Some folks are a little too picky and should leave there car at home in the garage inside a bubble. I don't go to a lot of all day shows anymore because the sun and heat puts a hurtin on me. I keep having these Basal Cell skin cancers removed too, another reason me and the sun don't agree much these days. I hit the swap meets early, and look for the shows that get us out asap. I don't care for the voting and trophies at 3 in the afternoon either, I do like car show T-shirts and those little dash plaques are really cool! They look great on toolboxes !

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Xplantdad
11-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Tommy, for the basal cells...see your dermatologist and see if they will prescribe Erevidge for you. Oral medication that reduces and sometimes makes basal cell carcinoma dissapear (I am using it now). I've had MOHS sugery 15+ times already...so I am pretty experienced with BCC <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

As far as car shows...I don't really ever worry. Even when I had the Chevelle. My wife, on the other hand...doesn't hesitate to say something <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

427TJ
11-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I usually park my car and walk away. If you like my car then that's great but I already know what it needs, where it came from, what's missing, and I really don't care about your glory days being the local John Milner.

Billohio
11-23-2013, 01:18 PM
I saw a family with 3 kids walk up to a BMW Isetta like Urkel drove and the parents opened the door all 3 kids get in to take their picture.

Tommy
11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tommy, for the basal cells...see your dermatologist and see if they will prescribe Erevidge for you. Oral medication that reduces and sometimes makes basal cell carcinoma dissapear (I am using it now). I've had MOHS sugery 15+ times already...so I am pretty experienced with BCC <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

I'll ask about that Bruce, I have an appt next month (if my Doctor is still in business by then <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif ). Dad has had a few of the MOHS surgeries too. Seems to be a good non invasive way to get the job done. Paw Paw and Dad have had a real bout over the years with these BCC's. I have had quite a few too but don't go see the Doc as often as I should. I've noticed the left side of face and left arm are usually worse than other side and I would imagine thats from exposure through drivers side window....

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

Xplantdad
11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Tommy, it's kinda crazy sounding but it's working for me. I have a 6cm by 2 cm BCC on my right arm that's now 1.5cm x 1.5 cm. I've been using the medication for about 2 months now...You are most likely right about the left side....my dad had the same thing happen as well...he ended up passing away due to squamous cell spreading into his brain <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif

Our whole family has had MOHS (with the exception of Lynn and Holly) surgeries. Good luck, no matter what happens... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

BJCHEV396
11-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Was enterd in a show a few years ago and a guy was looking at a real nice Mustang parked next to me.Had his dog on a leash--dog lifted his leg and pissed on the front tire!I yelled at him and he just shrugged and walked away.

69hurstSC
11-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Shows like MCACN weed out the uneducated car enthusiasts. It's really a prime example of how to behave at a car show.

roeville
11-27-2013, 03:43 AM
I've noticed that the car shows that charge an entrance fee have a higher percentage of genuine car enthusiasts resulting in less problems. Even the younger children of real car enthusiasts seem to respect cars. It's the local car car gatherings, city car shows, and cruise ins that require more attentiveness. I find myself taking my car to less shows but I have been driving the car more often. Mike

WILMASBOYL78
11-27-2013, 12:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roeville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've noticed that the car shows that charge an entrance fee have a higher percentage of genuine car enthusiasts resulting in less problems. Even the younger children of real car enthusiasts seem to respect cars. It's the local car car gatherings, city car shows, and cruise ins that require more attentiveness. I find myself taking my car to less shows but I have been driving the car more often. Mike </div></div>

The gate fee doesn't always keep out the riff-raff <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif We have a large local show every spring here in Rhinebeck, NY...they charge &quot;too much&quot; to get in and it doesn't seem to weed out the idiots. It is an endless procession of baby strollers, kids running loose, folks with chains hanging off their jeans and so on. I have stopped bringing cars to the show field...it isn't worth the aggravation or the dirt and dust <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif

old5.0
11-27-2013, 12:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roeville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've noticed that the car shows that charge an entrance fee have a higher percentage of genuine car enthusiasts resulting in less problems. Even the younger children of real car enthusiasts seem to respect cars. It's the local car car gatherings, city car shows, and cruise ins that require more attentiveness. I find myself taking my car to less shows but I have been driving the car more often. Mike </div></div>

I don't know. Everybody's experience is different, but I've found that &quot;genuine&quot; car enthusiasts are often just as disrespectful as the general public.

About 10 years ago, I picked up a 65 Barracuda Formula S. Original owner car, and everything, all the hard to find parts, was there. Correct AVS, dual point dis., exhaust, woodgrain wheel, tach, etc. Awesome little car. A few buddies and I decide to clean it up and take to one of the larger local car shows that Saturday. We arrive and park in a row of Mopars, right next to two 70 440 Six Barrel Cudas. The really interesting one was a black on black 4-speed. No shaker, standard dash, and 15-inch wheels with wire wheel covers. Neat car. Too bad the owner was a ****.

So about 15 minutes after we get there, an 87 Mustang GT convertible pulls in with an older couple inside. It's a gorgeous car, black over titanium, and obviously very well maintained. Right on cue, the ******* with the black Cuda starts complaining about letting &quot;new&quot; cars into car shows (as though the thought that anybody might appreciate seeing such a car had never occurred to him). After a good five minute rant, he caps it off with possibly the dumbest comment I've ever heard at a show. &quot;I didn't spend a hundred grand restoring this car to park it next to that.&quot; Well, then why did you spend a hundred grand restoring it? And why are you here?

I walked over to the Mustang and talked to the owners. Turns out they bought it new the year their youngest daughter graduated from college, and it was creampuff. Never saw rain, less than 10,000 miles, and completely original. Now that they were both retired, they were having fun taking it to shows, Sunday cruises, etc.

After telling them (for the tenth time) what a great car it was and thanking them for bringing it, I headed back to my car. Cuda guy and his buddies were looking at me funny, so I loudly announced as I walked by &quot;That's the nicest ******* car at this show.&quot; The response was crickets.

That was about it for me. I don't think I've been to a show since, because, unfortunately, situations like that have always been the rule and not the exception. Complaining about imports. Complaining about late-models. Complaining about too many Chevrolets. Or too many Mustangs. Or too many (insert car here). I've got better things to do than waste a day listening to grown men act like jackasses.

WILMASBOYL78
11-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Though there are mixed views if the Duke actually said this....in this case it applies no matter who said it.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
John Wayne

wilma <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

kwhizz
11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
There's &quot;Car People&quot;.............and &quot;People with Cars&quot;!!!!!.........Nuff Said!!!

Xplantdad
11-27-2013, 01:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwhizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's &quot;Car People&quot;.............and &quot;People with Cars&quot;!!!!!.........Nuff Said!!! </div></div>

Bingo!

resto4u
11-27-2013, 02:08 PM
you just have to have thick skin or laugh at them. I had a nice low mile 67 malibu with all original sheet metal. People would always say it is restored or replaced sheet metal. You will always run into someone that is an expert on everything and knows everything, and of course never wrong. Sucks to be that person, to be clueless their whole life and not know it.