PDA

View Full Version : Olds 12 bolt rear end to trade

Furback
12-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Some idiot installed an Olds 12 bolt with 3.91 posi in a 67 Camaro I purchased lately. Probably out of a 442 Olds? It is complete and in good condition. Except that they installed leaf spring perches on it and removed the original outboard mounts. This rear belongs in a 442 I think. I would trade for a Nova or 1st gen Camaro 12 bolt housing. If anyone is interested.

StealthBird
12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Furback, why would you call this person "some idiot"? That was a popular swap back in the day, as 12-bolt Chevy rears were sometimes triple the price of an Olds or Pontiac 12-bolt, thanks to all the hype about Chevy 12-bolts in magazines.

Why not just keep the 12-bolt that's in there? The Olds has bolt-in axles, and is a damn tough rear end. It worked under W-30 cars, it should work under a Chevy.

Life is too short to worry about what other people think when looking underneath your car. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Unless of course you're doing a full tilt restoration, then I can see the need for an original Chevy 12-bolt, but you didn't ask about certain codes, just any old 12-bolt Chevy rear would do.

Furback
12-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I do worry that my cars are correct or at least be equipped with correct type components when it is not possible to have the original matching parts. I am sorry for that. My point is that this Olds rear should be where it belongs. Whenever I have a part that I do not need and it is unique and probably required to finish a project somewhere, I put it out there for them if they want it. And I shake my head when I see things like this Olds rear end in a Camaro. But, I did scoff a 427/425 CE engine out of the car. LOL.

Fast67VelleN2O
12-11-2013, 03:03 PM
What's the code on the axle tube?

RichSchmidt
12-12-2013, 07:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do worry that my cars are correct or at least be equipped with correct type components when it is not possible to have the original matching parts. I am sorry for that. My point is that this Olds rear should be where it belongs. Whenever I have a part that I do not need and it is unique and probably required to finish a project somewhere, I put it out there for them if they want it. And I shake my head when I see things like this Olds rear end in a Camaro. But, I did scoff a 427/425 CE engine out of the car. LOL.
</div></div>

I guess you have kittens every time you see one of those old Mopar lumps of iron bolted into the back of a 1st gen or even worse,a &quot;Brand F&quot; rear!!! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

But seriously I had my gears turning for a minute about buying it for a 67 Cutlass project that I would eventually like to do. I was going to buy a Chevy 12 bolt for it,but was balking about how much it would cost. As far as 12 bolts,I have a 67 Camaro 12 bolt under my 73 Firebird right now,but it has C-clip eliminators on it. I wish I were closer to actually doing this Cutlass,but I dont even own the car yet.

Furback
12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
I will check the code when I get a chance Fast67 and let you know. Rich, I guess I am an old school type guy. 9 inch is a good rear end, so is the 8 3/4 mopar. The Dana 60 is the ultimate I suppose, but heavy. I could almost live with a Dana 60 under my Chevy.