PDA

View Full Version : Car guys Christmas letter.

Canuck
12-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Car Guys Christmas Letter
Well the past year for me and my cars has been a fun one, I drove more and wrenched a little.
The year started out with a trip to Scottsdale for the Auctions and some planned golf. The Weather was too cold for golf, but the auctions were everything expected. No buying or bidding. No tents blew down either.
With Spring around the corner April brought a welcome surprise, a 71 442 W30 convertible I had been pursuing was finally offered to me a the price I wanted to pay. So a road trip was planned in early May to pick up this barn find
This was also a year of doing some light refreshing of two of my cars, the 66 W30 and the 72 Hurst Olds.
I had consigned the cars to a local auction with no anticipation of selling them but more about getting exposure for the auction with these two cars. I spent 3 weeks completely detailing the Hurst as it had not been touched since I bought it in 1997. Neither car sold at the Auction.
I did a few visits to the Friday night gathering at Canadian Tire but did not participate in any car shows.
The 71 W30 convert got a little more use this year (200 miles) with a trip to a friend’s wedding, and some light cruising to stretch its legs. All of this was done on a set of 40 year old Polyglas tires. The Charger got some road time as well as did the 66. The only car that didn’t move was the Chrysler 300F.
I spent the later part of the summer purging my work shop in anticipation of restoring the 71 W30 I acquired in May, Lots of eBay sales, putting parts aside for the 71 and some stuff going to metal recyclers or the dumpster.
I had an opportunity to show the 66 W30 at MCACN in Chicago in late November so the later part of October was consumed with doing a cosmetic update to the 66 to make it show ready. It shipped out via Reliable on Nov 13 and I flew into Chicago on the 21st. It was a great show. I shipped the car to Scottsdale after the show and am considering consigning it to an auction in January.
In retrospect it was an enjoyable year with lots of different activity. The winter is the time to spin wrenches and I have a restoration project to do.
Paul
P.S. the family is fine.

Xplantdad
12-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Nice....so we'll see you in January, then? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif