PDA

View Full Version : RA II GTO at Russo & Steele????

The Boss
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.russoandsteele.com/collector-car/1968-Pontiac-GTO-Ram-Air-II/69882

Not a RA II, not a RAM AIR car at all!

No 68 RA cars built with A/C & VIN places it in the October 67 time frame for production at the Pontiac assembly plant - far too early to be a RA II.

Pretty car but buyer beware!

StealthBird
12-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Well, this one has issues all over the place!

One thing I love about Pontiacs, no matter how many trophies the owner claims the car won, no matter how detailed their description of the car is, no matter how much history they provide about the make and model, when there's no mention of PHS, that's an immediate red flag.

Nice looking car though, and I'm sure that if won all those trophies, it shows well.

442w30
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
It bothers me that a "legit" auctioneer like R&S don't care about the integrity of the descriptions provided by the sellers. I understand the law doesn't suggest they should, but it certainly doesn't help the hobby to practically support sketchiness.

The Boss
01-25-2014, 03:17 PM
What did it bid to?

Xplantdad
01-25-2014, 06:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It bothers me that a &quot;legit&quot; auctioneer like R&amp;S don't care about the integrity of the descriptions provided by the sellers. I understand the law doesn't suggest they should, <span style="font-weight: bold">but it certainly doesn't help the hobby to practically support sketchiness.</span> </div></div>

A bit of a stretch, don't you think? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif It's not the auctions business to &quot;check&quot; every car that comes up for auction. The auction is provided a write up from the owner. If you want a car checked out, there are people and services for that. And-a buyer should be an educated buyer. An auctions business is to make money, plain and simple. After all, the auction didn't build the FAKE car....

BY the way, this car sold for $30,930.00

442w30
01-26-2014, 05:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A bit of a stretch, don't you think? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif It's not the auctions business to &quot;check&quot; every car that comes up for auction. </div></div>

Which is kinda like what I said: &quot;I understand the law doesn't suggest they should [check] the descriptions provided by the sellers...&quot;

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about an auction house that has blatantly false ads.

Xplantdad
01-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeah...sure Diego...LOL

The ad copy is provided by the seller of the vehicle, not the auction house. The auction house just prints it. And print media has to go to press months before the auction.

The auction house has better things to do besides check EVERY ad copy that comes in. I bet you I could spend 5 minutes on any ad-whether it be Ebay, Craigslist or even here on Yenko.net-and find something blatantly incorrect in an ad. Does that prove anything...other than a person needs to be educated about what they're buying...?

Nope. If you aren't comfortable about something you want to buy, hire someone who is. I am all for posts like the one above that call out that the GTO was an obvious fake....but to put the responsibility on the auction house is ridiculous. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Barrett-Jackson had 3100 cars, I wonder how many were fakes? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

Tracker1
01-26-2014, 10:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It bothers me that a &quot;legit&quot; auctioneer like R&amp;S don't care about the integrity of the descriptions provided by the sellers. I understand the law doesn't suggest they should, <span style="font-weight: bold">but it certainly doesn't help the hobby to practically support sketchiness.</span> </div></div>

A bit of a stretch, don't you think? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif It's not the auctions business to &quot;check&quot; every car that comes up for auction. The auction is provided a write up from the owner. If you want a car checked out, there are people and services for that. And-a buyer should be an educated buyer. An auctions business is to make money, plain and simple. After all, the auction didn't build the FAKE car....

BY the way, this car sold for $30,930.00 </div></div>

I don't know Bruce. There's somewhere in the middle isn't there? Every auction house out there knows this site or someone on it. I am willing to bet when that fake L89 black '69 Camaro went over the block someone was well-versed in what was said about the car on here...and still let it go through to the tune of 200K. That strikes me as wrong. It is a moral dilemma above all.

30K is definitely not '68 RAII GTO money. But it is more than clone '68 goats change hands for on any given day

Xplantdad
01-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Hey Des, I get what you are saying...but-the auction house is just a pipeline to sell the car. No different than ebay...or even here. The auction houses don't make any claims to the authenticity of a car (read the fine print <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif )

I guess in perfect world, every one would be truthful and on the up and up, but when 3100 cars go through one auction here in AZ and over 1000 at another-the auction houses don't have the time to check everything, nor should they.

I guess we can agree to disagree? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Tracker1
01-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Not disagreeing, but like most moral dilemmas just don't know who is &quot;more right&quot; <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

442w30
01-27-2014, 12:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but to put the responsibility on the auction house is ridiculous.

</div></div>

But I didn't put responsibility on the auction house. I just said it sucks they don't vet the lies.

Xplantdad
01-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Arguing semantics I see. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif So they are to examine every listing from every car that is brought to their auction, then get with <span style="font-weight: bold">their</span> expert so that they are all &quot;truthful&quot; with no deception...otherwise <span style="font-weight: bold">they</span> are perpetuating the lies...

Diego, I see that this particular car raised your hackles for some reason. Did you bother to send an email to Drew at Russo and Steele? He's a very reasonable person. Let me know what he said...if you emailed or talked to him. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

If you didn't try to let them know, why not?

Like I said, bravo to the individual above for pointing out that this car isn't what it's cracked up to be...that's a good thing. I am thinking that for what it sold for...people probably knew anyways...it for sure didn't break the bank <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

Xplantdad
01-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Over and out.... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

jannes_z-28
01-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Well the auction house could ask for a certificate of authenticity of every car they sell that goes over a certain value. Then there is this guy who wrote the certificate who can be blamed if it is wrong and the auction house don't have to do any extra work. Compare with the art business.

The seller has to pay for an inspection that would be in everybody's interest, well except the fraudsters :-)

Jan

442w30
01-28-2014, 05:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you bother to send an email to Drew at Russo and Steele? He's a very reasonable person. Let me know what he said...if you emailed or talked to him. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif </div></div>

Not sure what purpose that would serve since his company is not liable for the lies of the seller.

Besides, they're in the business of making money, not being the police for their customers.

I can't really fathom why so you're willing to defend liars, unless that's just an issue of semantics.

Over and out. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif