PDA

View Full Version : R I P Andy Granatelli

DW31S
01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Sad to hear of Andy Granatelli passing. Always an innovator and true car guy. I met Andy at Indianapolis and he treated me like we grew up together. Rest in peace "Mr. STP".

Canuck
01-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Was owner of one of the 7 Chrysler 300F GT. In stock form this car went 147 MPH at Daytona, Granatelli's superchraged version went 179 and later 192 at Bonneville with taller gears. He was Mr Supercharger.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll49/paulolds/Paxton-300F_zps9f67abed.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/paulolds/media/Paxton-300F_zps9f67abed.jpg.html)

BJCHEV396
01-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Always remember the big kiss Andy gave Mario in the winner's circle at the Indy 500 in 1967.

PeteLeathersac
01-05-2014, 04:17 PM
An amazing contributor to performance in so many ways!
RIP Andy
Wow on the speeds they attained in those big Chryslers!

BJCHEV396
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing Pete!A very heavy car with the aero of a brick!!

olredalert
01-05-2014, 07:55 PM
----I met Mr. Granatelli in the Florida keys. He rented the house next to my Moms for a week. Flew in on the STP Corporate jet. The one with all the STP stickers all over it.The evening of the day he flew in his whole tribe was up at the local watering hole. I thought I'd be a big shot and buy them all a round. Unfortunately, I didn't have the jack to pay for it, and that really didnt impress my date for the evening!!!
----The next day he saw me over on my Moms dock working on my old Donzi and came over and kibitzed for awhile. A bit later someone called over from his house and said lunch was ready and that was that. He seemed like a really regular guy. Of course, I lied and told him I used STP in everything I owned. He asked me where the stickers were. I can't remember what I came up with then........RIP, Andy,........Bill S

Astock
01-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Great story Bill.

YenkoYS100
01-07-2014, 11:15 PM
R.I.P. Andy. I was lucky enough to be running El Mirage dry lake when Andy was running his '82 Twin-Turbo Camaro. He ran it carbed and F.I. He would fly in and land on the dry lake. I remember the family (the whole tribe also) drove an '82 Caprice there. The Caprice was also turboed, and had an auxillary fuel tank in the trunk. The Caprice ran 140+. The Camaro (it was the first time out), ran 175+, (I believe). The SCTA told him he could not run the Camaro again until it met the safety requirements. Neither car had a cage or fire system. Andy did not care. He knew what they were going to run before he even got there.

I hope I live to see 90 years old. :-)