PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg MB high performance Chevy dealers

bigsixman
01-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I live 160 miles south of Winnipeg MB and I never read much about any Chevy high performance dealers in Winnipeg at that time. I remember seeing and hearing about Holiday Chev-Olds, but really no other dealers. I remember hearing at a car show that there was only 1 new Corvette sold in Winnipeg in 1967. Please share if there are any other high performance dealers and your thoughts on what appears to be the lack of Chevrolet performance in a large city like Winnipeg.

I remember looking at a color changed COPO camaro at a gas station in Morris MB in the early 80s and I have no clue as to where that car was sold from. Jed Layden (sp) raced a COPO Camaro at Keystone Dragway back in the day. These cars came from some where.

2qwik2c
01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r73/2qwik2c/tn_jed_ladincopo427.jpg (http://s141.photobucket.com/user/2qwik2c/media/tn_jed_ladincopo427.jpg.html)
Here's a pic of Jeds 69.

Holiday Chev olds was probably the biggest high performance dealer around Winnipeg back then, there were other dealers that sold hi perf cars to but probably not to the scale of holiday. Also I'm sure they sold more than one 1967 corvette up here.

There has been rumors of a few 69 COPO camaros around here.

bigsixman
01-14-2014, 02:25 AM
2qwik2c: Thanks for the reply to my post. I was at a big car show in Winnipeg about 25 tears ago and talking to a group of Corvette entrants, one of them mentioned that only one new Corvette was sold new in the city of Winnipeg in 1967.

So Holiday was the big Chev/Olds dealer back then. I think I remember the owner racing a W-30 Oldsmobile back in the day.

Thanks for posting the photo of Jed's COPO.

Canuck
01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Sherrol Haddad was the owner of Holiday and raced a 70 W30 at Keystone. I have traced several Olds 442 W30 sold in small towns in the prairies. A 72 W30 convert sold new in Morden. Several W30 hardtops sold in Sask, one I owned was sold in Kindersley.
Not sure about the Chevrolet muscle cars. Remember Steinbeck was always the new car epicenter for Manitoba.

Paul

Canuck
01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
If you Google images for Sherrold Haddad , you will see photos of several cars he raced.

bigsixman
01-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks Canuck, I appreciate your good help. Do you know if there was a high perf Chevrolet dealer in Steinbeck?

2qwik2c
01-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Penner chev olds was in Steinbach and some of the guys from there used to race at Bisons I believe. I'm sure they had some hi po cars go threw that dealership.