PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining Title In Michigan

Thomas
02-05-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping someone can provide some assistance.

I am interested in a '70 Camaro Stock Eliminator in Michigan.
As this has been a race car forever, the owner has no title.

I live in Ontario, Canada, and need a title to bring the car across the border.
The current owner is not interested in getting one.

What is involved in getting a title?
I've tried looking on line, but could not find anything definite.

Thanks in advance.

Xplantdad
02-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Can't titles be obtained in Alabama? I thought I rememebred that from somewhere? (I could be wrong though)

Vern B
02-05-2014, 08:05 PM
You can apply for a lost title in a Michigan. If you don't own the car the current owner would have to do it. You could probably do the legwork for him, pay the fee and have him sign the application.

Or, you could purchase the car and process the application yourself.

I did it a few years ago on a 71 Pontiac GT 37. Not that hard to do.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1587_1588-76308--,00.html

Brucebodyman
02-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Michigan changed the way to obtain a title a little over a year ago. It involves having car appraised obtaining bond insurance and paying sales tax on appraisal. Haven't done it with anything yet but it's not as easy as it used to be.

Thomas
02-06-2014, 04:13 PM
I guess my real question is, do I need a title to import this car into Canada or will a bill of sale and a valid VIN on the car suffice?

leach
02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
If you contact service shipper that takes it across border with paperwork he should be able to tell you what you need.

Thomas
02-06-2014, 06:44 PM
The car is close enough to home that I was hoping to pick it up myself and save some of the cost.

BTL
02-06-2014, 10:52 PM
I am always leery of a car that does not have a title. Could it have been stolen somewhere in it's past? Especially if you don't know the owner, and he is not interested in getting one.

Thomas
02-07-2014, 04:04 PM
The fact that any car could be stolen, is always a huge concern for me.
Quebec has an issue with that, as they do not track owner history the way we do in Ontario.

If this car were not exactly what I am looking for, I would not even be pursuing it at this point.

Jack_Tar
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Alabama does not have titles on anything older than 1974. Here, all you need to get it registered is a bill of sale and take it to the DMV so the lady there can look at the vin to make sure it matches. There is no title needed, nor will one be issued.

Tommy
02-07-2014, 09:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jireh Customs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alabama does not have titles on anything older than 1974. </div></div>

Mike, they changed that recently. Instead of 1974 it is now 30 years and older. They are dropping titles out of the system now. That means a 1984 Chevy S-10 can be bought and sold by bill of sale now. Next year you can pull a 1985 Chevy out of the junkyard and register it.... It's strange that Alabama has gone this route when you would think they would have stayed at 1975 as the cut off for titles.

Tommy <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/3gears.gif

GaryC
02-08-2014, 02:47 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Atlanta in the 60's and 70's I had heard on different occasions that there was some sort of service in Alabama provided by...which I don't know...where you can fill something out and send it in for some kind of something. I know this sounds incomplete but I was a young kid to teenager age when I heard this statement. When I got stationed at Dover AFB in Delaware 74 I even heard something about it there as well. I don't think I was hearing things but if Alabama doesn't have titles what was it that these people are talking about getting from Alabama? Maybe you can register your vehicle in Alabama if your out of state?