PDA

View Full Version : outdoor car cover recommendation

69Tom
02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Hey guys. I'm about to purchase an outdoor car cover to cover up my car while I get funds together to finish off the paint, etc. The car is in AZ, so it needs to be good enough to stand up to the sun and not disintegrate in a month when a monsoon hits, which is what happens to the cheap covers generally found on eBay.

I'd like to keep the cost under $200 for it, if possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

WILMASBOYL78
02-10-2014, 05:51 PM
My advice...rent a garage or storage unit...the benefit is truly worth the expense...you will get the investment back when it comes time to work on the car...

wilma

69Tom
02-10-2014, 06:00 PM
That sadly isn't going to happen, so I'm left with a cover.

CC Rider
02-10-2014, 06:26 PM
I bought a Covercraft Sunbrella for my Dodge Dakota when I moved here. The cover held up OK for two years of usage, but it lost it's rain repellent after one year. However, it never tore.

Something to consider with outdoor cover use here in AZ. The wind/breeze will blow dust under the cover and the seams will catch it and scratch your paint wherever a seam or tight fit is. It all buffs out, but still an inconvenience. I have since stored the Sunbrella and now I put sunshades in the windows of the Dakota. I also have a part-time shady place in the yard to park it in.

Either way, the paint may receive some sort of damage whether covered or uncovered. That's the reality here in the valley.

BTW, if you want a cover that is too big for your Nova, mine is available, but needs to be laundered.

69Tom
02-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks. I'll have to check that out. Mainly, I'd like to keep the rain off/out of the car so it doesn't build up. I don't have to worry about scratching surfaces. Once it is painted, I believe I'll be garaging the car at that point. Right now, the car is in primer and is pretty much ready for paint. The only thing preventing it from getting paint is my wallet. I hope to have the money together by the end of the year, so I have about 9-10 more months to go. Just wanted to protect it until then. It's also why I don't want to spend a ton of money on the cover.

69Tom
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Although at $545 for a '69 Biscayne, I don't think I'll be getting a Sunbrella.

danachevroletfor1967
02-10-2014, 06:44 PM
I would recommend getting a "breathable" one. This will prevent moisture from building up between your car and the cover. I can't say which brand is the best. Classic Industries in Huntington Beach,CA has ones for outdoor use from $119.99 to $194.99.

markinnaples
02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Have you checked into those car "bags"? No experience with them and others could chime in and say whether they are worth it or if they are junk, but just a thought.

69Tom
02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
OK, thanks. I'll check them out.

69Tom
02-10-2014, 06:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you checked into those car &quot;bags&quot;? No experience with them and others could chime in and say whether they are worth it or if they are junk, but just a thought. </div></div>

You know, no, I haven't. I wonder if they'd hold up to the sun. Basically this thing needs to make it through a summer (a lot of hot sun, and then monsoons).

WILMASBOYL78
02-10-2014, 07:52 PM
We use the Car Jackets on many of our cars...but, they are for INDOOR USE ONLY!

A breathable car cover is the only real option for outside...another choice might be a small &quot;free-standing&quot; canopy style tent...you can also get enclosures for these. The total cost will be a little more than your budget...but, when you are done with the car storage you still have the canopy...worth considering. You will still need an inexpensive breathable car cover...but, the tent will do most of the work.

http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryName=Max%20AP%20Canopy%20 Series

http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetai...Canopy%20Series (http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=247fdfa0-6e9c-4e88-9bc7-9e0500c81f20&amp;CategoryName=Max%20AP%20Canopy%20Seri es)

Salvatore
02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
has to be breathable like Tommy says. The paint will blister and or bubble under the sweat and heat.

budnate
02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
what kind of primer is on the car? most don't like any kind of moisture.

bbbentley
02-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Tom, Look into something like this. There are also DIY kits. I would attach it to something (board across the bottom under each set of wheels) that you park the wheels on, so the wind won't blow it away.
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Carport/p/sm/1045464690.htm#1045464690

Xplantdad
02-11-2014, 03:09 AM
I think that portable car port would get torn apart during the monsoons...

As long as the primer is put on pretty well...I'd be tempted to just leave it exposed to the elements until you can get it into a covered area. Even if you have it in a covered garage, the desert dust WILL find its way in.... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif