PDA

View Full Version : Tow tabs for 69 Chevelle

chevyman0429
02-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Was wondering if anyone has a set of tow tabs for a 69 Chevelle. I was gonna buy a set until I found out I have to drill a hole in my newly rechromed bumper. So before I buy a set I'm gonna try and fab up my own without having to drill the bumper. Looking for a couple detailed pictures so I got somewhere to start. Thanks

PxTx
02-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Here is how I would work to build my own. The NMW tabs seem to be the most visually attractive and obviously I have a srtong bias, though there are a few universal styles and and plenty of DIY ones. There is something about the double slotted tabs poking out at just the right spread that looks right to me.

I would start with and NMW tow bar or whatever you prefer, or make something to mimic the spread and connection tabs. Then cut the 4 rounded tabs and mock it all up and build back to the frame. I suspect they may get a bit chunky under the frame.

If you look at the Green 69 Motion Camaro, they had to modify tabs to work with the endura bumper. They took a different approach and landed the tabs as basically as they could, then built a custom to bar. Maybe the long trip influenced a request for a beefer tow bar? To be honest, the workmanship and chroming of the tow bar seems to have been built by a different person than the fabricator on the modified tabs. I've wondered why they didn't shift the time spent on the tow bar over on making tabs compatible with the NMW tow bar? I never measured it, so maybe is was done that way and they are the same width?

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/Plowman7/Tow%20Tabs/MCACN2011037.jpg

One other thought for the easy way and avoid drilling your bumper is to take the early Chevelle tabs and bolt them on to the frame. Nearly the same frame, right? I'm guessing the bigger bumper might be in the way of the bar in some angles, but you could modify the attachment to work. I think my buddy Dan R has a few of the early tabs if you reach out to him.

http://www.classicperformance.com/ebay_pics/tabs.jpg