PDA

View Full Version : So you thought ebay was private, eh?

Zedder
03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
No sir! I was bidding on a Corvette down in Palm Desert, Ca and had exchanged a couple of messages with the owner with some questions, but hadn't received the pics I had requested. Since I couldn't find anyone local to take a look at it for me, I had given up on it. Well, this morning I get a call and when I answer it, I learn that it's the fellow from CA??? I asked him where he got my name and number and he said that ebay gave it to him and I should have an email from ebay giving me his contact info. Sure enough, ebay has a "User Information Request" service which exchanges info between a seller and bidder, full name, phone number, city/state/prov/country! I don't think that is info that they should shared without my prior approval. Beware...

GaryC
03-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Yep...just had the same thing. I was talking to a guy that had a chambered exhaust in an auction thru ebay mail. All was good and then one day I was sitting down watching the Olympics I get this call from the guy that has the chambered exhaust. How he got my number I don't know. I never asked so I assumed it was thru ebay. I may just email him to find out how he did it.

XXXGoldL34M20
03-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Remember the good old days when your user name on eBay was your email, it was great to make side deals without the eBay fees. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif I think people are just tired of paying Paypal and eBay fees and just trying to get around it.

earntaz
03-02-2014, 10:58 PM
The trouble is, we try to find an easy (read safe) way to transfers funds to buy or sell -- PayPal seems to have that game wrapped up ... TAZ