PDA

View Full Version : How to ID a true 1969 T/A

Craig_Maiorana
05-27-2014, 11:28 PM
Just curious if anyone has a bullet proof way to identify a 1969 Trans Am .... We are baby sitting one for someone sort of famous and it has some questionable items on the car such as the mirror, tach and the steering wheel ... I know the steering wheels and the mirror are from a 78 T/A and the tach is a Dixco and it is tall not wide and short like the standard GM hood tach .... Thank you in advance for any input

neresto
05-27-2014, 11:49 PM
If I'm not mistaking they are the only 69 firebirds with a 50 paint code and D80 on the trim tag.

PeteLeathersac
05-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Or order the documents from PHS.
http://www.phs-online.com/order.htm
Your information package will include the following:
- A copy of the factory invoice or billing history card for your Pontiac.
- A letter decoding the options (where necessary).
- A copy of the dealer order form for that year.
- Other specific information for that year and model Pontiac (where available).

Good luck!
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

GTO_DON
05-28-2014, 02:50 AM
The California built T/A's do not have the D80 on the trim tag.

Craig_Maiorana
05-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much guys ... that was what I had found... it is a norwood car and does have a 50-50 paint code and does have d-80 for the spoiler .... hearing your feedback really backs it up for me... The car belongs to Reggie Jackson and I just had some concerns ...thank you

njsteve
05-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Yes, it may have the codes on the cowl tag but now you have to verify that it is not a repro cowl tag...Can you post a photo of the tag?

tjs44
05-28-2014, 10:16 PM
run the vin!Get the phs and if necessary pay to have the heater box pulled to check the hidin vin.Tom

Craig_Maiorana
05-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Steve I have tried like 10 times to photo the tag ... the numbers are so worn down and it is painted in such a high gloss black that it wont photo right ... I am going to pass all of the info onto Reggie and if he wants me to go over the entire car then I will post all of the info for you to see. It's going to go in our showroom and I just wanted to do some quick identifying to put my own mind at ease. It just seems like whoever restored it took some liberties that they should not have.

Craig_Maiorana
05-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Thank you Tom that sounds like a good idea ... You guys are all top notch. I really appreciate all of the tips from guys that know their s#!t ... I am well versed in a lot of these cars but it helps to have all of this worldy knowledge at my disposal .... Thank you all a ton and yes the PHS sounds like the smartest way to verify.

StealthBird
05-29-2014, 02:33 AM
Great advice from those that have answered. PHS is the only sure way to tell, and the next step is to do what Tom stated, have the heater box pulled to check the VIN.

Just a couple notes:

1) Not all 1969 Trans Am's were code 50-50. They did make a few with vinyl tops.

2) Code 50-50 is Cameo White, which was also available on regular Firebirds. It's a good clue to determining if it's real, but not a lock that it's definitely a Trans Am.

3) The Pontiac hood tach was not available on the 1969 Trans Am, so someone installed a hood tach after the car was built.

Good luck! It sounds like you may have a real Trans Am, and that's a rare Bird to say the least. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

Craig_Maiorana
05-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Thank you Stealth ... I did read that about the vinyl top cars. I also read something about the tach being a pain in the butt because of the fact that one of the mounting studs would land under where the hinge would mount to the hood. I could see if someone would have installed the correct style tach atleast but it is a big bulky ugly Dixco tach. Like I said if he wants to take the number check any further I will be glad to help him but I was just being cautious because if it were a clone then I would want him to know .... Thank you

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-29-2014, 03:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMOKIN_JOKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... but it is a big bulky ugly Dixco tach.... </div></div>

I'll take it! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Craig_Maiorana
05-29-2014, 04:24 PM
HAHAHA.... im sure we all would <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif

Craig_Maiorana
05-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know if there is a functioning registry for these cars? just out of curiosity

GTO_DON
05-30-2014, 01:22 AM
My old trans am had a Dixco hood tach that was there since New.