PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this illegal?

tom999q
01-24-2015, 02:52 AM
I was browsing the internet and found this guy that's selling the vin tag and data plates cut from a junk cuda for $10500. I'm not from Tennessee, but I thought doing that was illegal. I'd like to write that vin down and see which Barrett Jackson car it pops up on in two years as an authentic low mile barn find...

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4815747359.html

PeteLeathersac
01-24-2015, 03:46 AM
VIN - BS23J08308508

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/bs.gif
~ Pete

tom999q
01-24-2015, 03:00 PM
I have the vins. For a 1970 cuda 1 of 200 burnt orange cars.
has the transam rear and front end.
has AAR hood and trunk lid with spoiler
have 2 doors with windows
late model hemi
only selling as a package won't sell seperate
10,500 firm
423 2six0 0976 http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/01/full-18593-20696-aarcudaplates.jpg

John Brown
01-24-2015, 03:38 PM
It appears that the seller may have had the whole car in possession at one time by the pictures shown on the craigslist listing.

So..... how big of a piece of metal would one have to have in their possession to legally sell those parts along with the title? There must be some point at which it would be legal. What happens with those tags after they are sold may or may not be legal, and I'm certainly not going to be the person chancing a jail term for tampering. I'm just asking from the point of someone that see people making statements about legality that aren't lawyers or law enforcement people. You may not like what this seller is doing, but it is either legal or it isn't. Now if he stated that these parts could be attached to another body and the resulting vehicle could be passed off as something it is not, then maybe he could be involved in a fraudulent scheme. Lets hear from the lawyers on here instead of just people that are personally offended about the situation.

tom999q
01-24-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm not personally offended about the situation, I just hate to see someone spend $500k three years from now on a fake car that was knowingly passed off as a real car, now that hurts <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif

A few years ago I bought a 1970 GTO judge as a parts car that someone took all the vin and data plates off of... Hmmm, I wonder what NON-JUDGE those plates landed on, most likely to be sold for alot of money...I feel bad for unsuspecting buyers that believe the sellers that they're buying authentic cars...

tom999q
01-24-2015, 03:48 PM
There are lawyers on this forum?? I thought they were all car guys.. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

Charley Lillard
01-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes we have Lawyers on the forum that are car guys. You have managed to piss off Yenko owners in another thread and now you are going after Lawyers ? Am I sensing a pattern here ? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

442w30
01-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Apparently the seller has been doing this for awhile and the car is known. It has been reported already.

FWIW, there's no way to know how many AARs came in any color, so his &quot;1 of 200&quot; is bunk.

John Brown
01-24-2015, 04:06 PM
I'd also like to hear from car dealers on this situation. At what point aren't you able to sell that piece of iron you found, bought or traded for. I mean legally, since that is what the opening line of this thread is. What others do may be a despicable act, rebodying or swapping tags, but that is not the question here. The question here is about legality.

earntaz
01-24-2015, 04:08 PM
I am not a lawyer by any means -- but I would believe if you were to attach these to another vehicle and attempt to pass that vehicle off as original ... that is fraud.

tom999q
01-24-2015, 04:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes we have Lawyers on the forum that are car guys. You have managed to piss off Yenko owners in another thread and now you are going after Lawyers ? Am I sensing a pattern here ? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif </div></div>

Sorry Charlie, I don't care who I piss off, this is a car forum, not a tupperware party. If people on this forum don't like to get their feelings hurt, then maybe they should be on the mothers housekeeping forum. This forum is about stating opinions, not stating opinions &quot;but you have to be careful not to hurt other peoples feelings&quot;. &quot;Illegal&quot; is illegal now matter how you cut it. &quot;Undocumented workers&quot; are illegal. &quot;rolling though a stop sign&quot; is illegal. Now if you're feelings are hurt because you may disagree with the term &quot;illegal&quot;, then I don't know what to tell you....

01-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Bye

Charley Lillard
01-24-2015, 06:50 PM
No...This is <span style="font-weight: bold">MY</span> car forum and <span style="font-weight: bold">MY</span> members. If you continue I will simply remove you. It is up to you. I have given you a longer leash than many here would have.

442w30
01-25-2015, 03:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not a lawyer by any means -- but I would believe if you were to attach these to another vehicle and attempt to pass that vehicle off as original ... that is fraud. </div></div>

I believe it's a state-by-state issue, but changing the VIN is a federal offense. Changing the fender tag is not, but if you get burned, I'm sure the courts will rule in your favor.

earntaz
01-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Please check out my musclecar blog!

Excellent info and articles there ...

442w30
01-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Thank you. I don't get to it as much as I'd like, but if you have any suggestions, just PM me - even something on your car if it's interesting.

resto4u
02-08-2015, 03:22 PM
I do not see the dash vin# for sale. I don't think a sticker with the vin# and tags are illegal to sell. The law may pertain to anything with the vin#, but i thought it meant the actual vin tag. Are the stamped vin#'s on the sheet metal illegal. Can anyone on here that works in the legal system verify?

442w30
02-09-2015, 12:38 AM
&quot;I have the vins. For a 1970 cuda 1 of 200 burnt orange cars.
has the transam rear and front end.
has AAR hood and trunk lid with spoiler
have 2 doors with windows
late model hemi
only selling as a package won't sell seperate&quot;