PDA

View Full Version : Who won the civil war

m22mike
03-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Who won it ? (http://toprightnews.com/?p=8589)

Watch this video, interesting... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif

kwhizz
03-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Throw more money at the problem.........That'll fix it......

WILMASBOYL78
03-08-2015, 02:55 PM
There are many versions of the phrase...

&quot;those who don't know history, are forced to repeat it&quot;

I would venture these same students would be hard pressed to answer any historical questions about the country they live in. Doesn't make them bad kids...but it certainly makes me wonder where they were during history class <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif

Now to answer the question...from the technical point of view..the North won when Lee surrendered. But, the death and destruction were terrible on both sides...I don't think anyone ever wins a civil war,some just lose more than others.
Next month marks the 150th anniversary of the end of the civil war <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics/usergals/2015/03/full-1121-22525-thnde5skup.jpg

Fast67VelleN2O
03-08-2015, 02:57 PM
These people VOTE by the millions too. Next time you wonder to yourself &quot;how in the hell did this idiot get voted into office?&quot; this is why.

m22mike
03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Do they still teach American history <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif what would be there answere to &quot;Who was the Greatest generation ? &quot; Sad. On the flip side, I have picked up allot about history and geography in 50 + years that I did not learn in school.

Mike

Lynn
03-08-2015, 04:01 PM
I can see this one is getting deleted or locked. Already got political.

Keeping it apolitical, will share results of interviews I saw about 13 years ago.
Graduating seniors from an OKC public school were told there were six states bordering Oklahoma, then asked if they could name one.

First answer: Dallas?

Second answer: Hmmmmmm.

Sad state of education. And as Kwhizz pointed out, it can't be fixed by throwing money at it.

earntaz
03-08-2015, 04:21 PM
&quot;but it certainly makes me wonder where they were during history class&quot; -- or who or what is teaching them.

Old men make war, young men fight war and babies suffer from it ...

427TJ
03-08-2015, 05:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwhizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw more money at the problem.........That'll fix it...... </div></div>

Are you talking about one of your cars again Ken??? <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

m22mike
03-08-2015, 05:55 PM
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif

earntaz
03-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Could be yes -- either it runs or you run out of $$

Schonyenko2
03-08-2015, 07:03 PM
I think it was granny Clampet who said. &quot;General Lee only gave Grant his sword so he could polish it for him&quot;.

Verne_Frantz
03-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Those interviews are totally depressing. Is History even a class anymore? I know a lot of facts have been culled out of the books so we can't call a bad guy a bad guy anymore.

Verne <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif

sixtiesmuscle
03-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Which Texas idiot would that be, Bush or Perry? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These people VOTE by the millions too. Next time you wonder to yourself &quot;how in the hell did this idiot get voted into office?&quot; this is why. </div></div>

kwhizz
03-09-2015, 12:04 AM
Is $18 Trillion more than $9 Trillion.......???????

earntaz
03-09-2015, 12:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtiesmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which Texas idiot would that be, Bush or Perry? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These people VOTE by the millions too. Next time you wonder to yourself &quot;how in the hell did this idiot get voted into office?&quot; this is why. </div></div></div></div>

Just like the Chicago experiment called Cabrini Green??

sixtiesmuscle
03-09-2015, 05:09 AM
O.K. you guys win. How can I argue with that flawless logic. I just find it a little funny that the examples used of the &quot;idiots&quot; that vote were from Texas &amp; Oklahoma. Obviously, not hotbeds of liberal thinking. I doubt we'll ever agree on much outside of cars, so why do we have to endure these discussions on a fun car site. If I want to get aggravated I'll just turn on Fox News for my &quot;fair &amp; balanced&quot; news of the day. I'm done now,so you can throw any stones you want and I won't respond.

Keith Seymore
03-09-2015, 12:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwhizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is $18 Trillion more than $9 Trillion.......??????? </div></div>

At the point does it even matter?

No winners in my family during the &quot;Recent Unpleasantness&quot;. Missouri was a border state, so my grandfather's grandfather fought for the Confederacy; his brother fought for the Union.

The 3rd Missouri Cavalry (CSA) and 5th Missouri infantry (USA) met and fought against each other at the battles of Vicksburg and at Shiloh. The two brothers lived through the war and never spoke to each other again. In fact, that is why my name is spelled like it is (&quot;Seymore&quot; vs the more traditional &quot;Seymour&quot;): my relatives changed the spelling so as to not be associated with their estranged Yankee relatives.

K

mockingbird812
03-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Keith - That is some impressive (tragic too) family history, fortunately, passed down through the years. It is important that a family doesn't lose sight of this stuff.

427TJ
03-09-2015, 04:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtiesmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O.K. you guys win. How can I argue with that flawless logic. I just find it a little funny that the examples used of the &quot;idiots&quot; that vote were from Texas &amp; Oklahoma. Obviously, not hotbeds of liberal thinking. I doubt we'll ever agree on much outside of cars, so why do we have to endure these discussions on a fun car site. If I want to get aggravated I'll just turn on Fox News for my &quot;fair &amp; balanced&quot; news of the day. I'm done now,so you can throw any stones you want and I won't respond. </div></div>

Political posts are creeping back into the Ynet. Another car forum I read has a &quot;politics and religion&quot; forum and it is a total train wreck every day of the week. Even when someone makes a reasonable post the trolls just blow it up with bat-$hit stuff and any human level of dialogue is impossible. (I stick to the technical forum on that site.)

Read the following humorous bit on why we are often wrong when we attempt to argue and convince one another that our point of view is the right one. It's good for a few laughs.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-l...-you-think.html (http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-than-you-think.html)

427TJ
03-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Just a reminder from Mr. Clary, posted waaay back in 2007:

&quot;Some of you might like this and some might not. There is getting to be too much political commenting and it is detracting from what this web site is about. We all have different political views and that is every Americans right but this web site is about cars and a nice place to get away from the world of politics. Starting now, any political posts will be deleted. Please understand that even though what you post might be approved by others in your thread, there are many other readers that are distancing themselves from the threads and site because of the political banter. One goal of this site is to bring us lovers of Supercars together, not get us into political arguments.&quot;

old5.0
03-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Never mind. Came to my senses.

old5.0
03-09-2015, 04:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427TJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtiesmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O.K. you guys win. How can I argue with that flawless logic. I just find it a little funny that the examples used of the &quot;idiots&quot; that vote were from Texas &amp; Oklahoma. Obviously, not hotbeds of liberal thinking. I doubt we'll ever agree on much outside of cars, so why do we have to endure these discussions on a fun car site. If I want to get aggravated I'll just turn on Fox News for my &quot;fair &amp; balanced&quot; news of the day. I'm done now,so you can throw any stones you want and I won't respond. </div></div>

Political posts are creeping back into the Ynet. Another car forum I read has a &quot;politics and religion&quot; forum and it is a total train wreck every day of the week. Even when someone makes a reasonable post the trolls just blow it up with bat-$hit stuff and any human level of dialogue is impossible. (I stick to the technical forum on that site.)

Read the following humorous bit on why we are often wrong when we attempt to argue and convince one another that our point of view is the right one. It's good for a few laughs.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-l...-you-think.html (http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-than-you-think.html) </div></div>

I learned more than a decade ago that arguing politics on the net is about as good a use of my time as slamming my **** in a car door. Sometimes I just can't help it, though. The politics, I mean, not the slamming.

m22mike
03-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Maybe we should shut this thread down, Charley <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif it was just a funny video.

Mike

427TJ
03-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Reasonable people can be reasonable and there are many reasonable folks here on the Ynet. This forum is actually the most &quot;grown up&quot; of the several car forums I watch. Problem is, the Internet first destroys our ability to remain reasonable and then a simple discussion thread becomes a sudden mud-slide into hell. Pretty soon, slamming my **** in a car door (hilarious, by the way) seems like the only reasonable thing left to do!

Yes, sometimes I can't help it either. SLAM! &quot;D'OH!!!&quot;

earntaz
03-09-2015, 07:09 PM
LOL -- X2 ... slam dunk it!

Back to important topics -- like rides!

Fast67VelleN2O
03-10-2015, 02:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtiesmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which Texas idiot would that be, Bush or Perry? </div></div>

I wasn't being specific with my comment. I meant anywhere; local, state, and national.

njsteve
03-10-2015, 05:09 PM
I showed my 8th grade son the video. He was flabbergasted at the ignorance of those college kids. He knew all the correct historical answers. And he did not know any of the stupid TV questions. I couldn't be more proud, especially since he had no clue about the Jersey Shore question. He only was aware of the name &quot;snookie&quot; from the South Park episode satiring her. And to think he was born here in Joysey!

<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif

Craig_Maiorana
03-10-2015, 05:52 PM
That's a good thing Steve ... I'm a NJ born and raised transplant to CA and all I hear about is that lame show and those trolls.

427TJ
03-10-2015, 06:40 PM
&quot;The brain is the new appendix. You just don't need your brain.&quot;

Dennis Miller

MosportGreen66
03-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Ok sure the video is startling but guys come on! I'm not one to question to the apathy of my fellow generation comrades but look at the sample size of the video. How do we know the editors did not cherry pick the goofs who got the questions wrong? Basic rules of economics - how can we trust statistical proof when the population sample size is small and controlled?

Listen, I won't argue that some of the folk in the video are ignorant and need history lessons about as fast as they need their TVs removed, but to condem the president, the state of TX, and entire future of the American from a 4 minute video taped by a political science major seems a tad drastic. You simply cannot be serious in using that video as a lens to view the USA. Come on!

Dan

m22mike
03-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Good point Dan, they don't show us the ones who may have answered correctly.. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

69 Post Sedan
03-10-2015, 09:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok sure the video is startling but guys come on! I'm not one to question to the apathy of my fellow generation comrades but look at the sample size of the video. How do we know the editors did not cherry pick the goofs who got the questions wrong? Basic rules of economics - how can we trust statistical proof when the population sample size is small and controlled?

Listen, I won't argue that some of the folk in the video are ignorant and need history lessons about as fast as they need their TVs removed, but to condem the president, the state of TX, and entire future of the American from a 4 minute video taped by a political science major seems a tad drastic. You simply cannot be serious in using that video as a lens to view the USA. Come on!

Dan </div></div>

Very well said Dan.

On a side note, maybe we shouldn't be cutting back on our school systems like they are in Wisconsin. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif

Kurt

earntaz
03-11-2015, 12:47 AM
Probably a direct result of the Common Core Standard ...

JRSully
03-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Common Core, another brilliant new idea....