PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Firebird unusal factory color

galveston
03-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Remember the Daytona yellow '69 convertible at MCACN with a green top and interior?

Here's a Daytona yellow/black top.

What other GM colors were crossovers?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4919560548.html

442w30
03-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Most GM colors are shared among the brands, but they get to have a few exclusives. I imagine Cadillac could have a lot of their own.

bkhpah
03-10-2015, 08:26 PM
It is my understanding the the Yellow/Green '69 Firebird was a Green Bay Packers edition car...BKH

442w30
03-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I know nothing about the promotion, but yellow was a regular production color, and green was a regular production interior:

http://www.gt-37.org/gallery/main.php?g2..._serialNumber=1 (http://www.gt-37.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=445&g 2_serialNumber=1)

StealthBird
03-10-2015, 09:59 PM
We discussed that at the MCACN show with Gary from Level One Restorations. Being they (Level One) are from Colorado, they didn't understand why sometimes they heard Chicagoans refer to the Firebird as a "Packer car". I told him about the long standing NFL rivalry between the Bears and the Packers, and Packer green and yellow just stand out around here when you see the colors on jackets, shirts, etc.

What's really unusual about the 1969 yellow/green RAIV Firebird was that someone ordered the car, in these unusual colors, made it a ragtop, and added in some expensive items like a RAIV engine, auto trans, p/w, tilt, pwr ant, and many other options. Oddly enough, they left off Rally II wheels.

Most likely the yellow/green combo were school colors, or perhaps they were Green Bay Packer fan, or a John Deere fan, who knows.

More pics: http://www.musclecarfilms.com/1969PontiacRAIVconvertibles.html

Mike

flyingn
03-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Great info there. Love that yellow/green car

GTO_DON
03-10-2015, 11:04 PM
You need glasses Frank. That car is ugly in person.

StealthBird
03-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Well, everyone has different tastes. There were a lot of Chevys, Oldsmobiles, and other Pontiacs with strange color combos too. Clashing colors was somewhat popular in the late 60's.

Look at it this way. Someone ordered it in Goldenrod Yellow with green guts and top, so there was at least one person who loved it. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif

earntaz
03-11-2015, 12:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkhpah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is my understanding the the Yellow/Green '69 Firebird was a Green Bay Packers edition car...BKH </div></div>

Nah -- it was a John Deere promotion ...

442w30
03-11-2015, 01:19 AM
Not sure why it's seen a &quot;clashing&quot; because yellow and green are complementary. Perhaps the brightness of the day-glow yellow was not the type of Earthtone that normally goes with the adamantly Earthtoned green interior, but yellow/green is a typical combo of the era. :twocents:

GTO_DON
03-11-2015, 01:33 AM
I love Goldenrod/Daytona yellow to be honest but with that green top is definitely a mismatch in my opinion but it's just an opinion.

StealthBird
03-11-2015, 01:57 AM
I think my comment was misinterpreted (my fault). Yellow/green isn't really clashing, my point was that while this Firebird is an unusual combo, it's more subtle than some other examples we've seen, and there were many clashing colors in the late 60's.

Friends Don't Let Friends Order Cars <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif

PeteLeathersac
03-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Here's a Musclecar of the Week Youtube link...is this the Yellow/Green '69 'Packer' ragtop mentioned above?
Too cool it's a Canada car w/ GM Vintage paperwork!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkto1ZkwwQ
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif
~ Pete

442w30
03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
My friend's dad ordered a green/red 1968 GTO convertible new. He still has it!

I can't remember the name of the green, but it's the very dark green that looks black (one of the best greens out there, IMHO). With the red interior, it's almost like an Xmas tree - looks quite nice, actually.

old5.0
03-12-2015, 04:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend's dad ordered a green/red 1968 GTO convertible new. He still has it!

I can't remember the name of the green, but it's the very dark green that looks black (one of the best greens out there, IMHO). With the red interior, it's almost like an Xmas tree - looks quite nice, actually. </div></div>

Nightshade?

My son got a 2015 Mustang calender for Christmas. December's car is a 70 Boss 302, dark green with red interior. Advertising car, I believe.

442w30
03-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah, that's it!

auwrestling
03-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Actually this yellow /green raiv rag came from a small town north of Quebec City , Quebec .Over 1200 miles plus from Geen Bay and other side of the border . It was located there in the early 80s . Good original car and could be the most optioned out 69 firebird ever built . Great to see it finally restored thanks to Gary and the owner .Great color combination ,my opinion .One of 5- 69 RAIV firebird convertibles with automatic ever built (we know of 2 total 69 raiv conv automatics found )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We discussed that at the MCACN show with Gary from Level One Restorations. Being they (Level One) are from Colorado, they didn't understand why sometimes they heard Chicagoans refer to the Firebird as a &quot;Packer car&quot;. I told him about the long standing NFL rivalry between the Bears and the Packers, and Packer green and yellow just stand out around here when you see the colors on jackets, shirts, etc.

What's really unusual about the 1969 yellow/green RAIV Firebird was that someone ordered the car, in these unusual colors, made it a ragtop, and added in some expensive items like a RAIV engine, auto trans, p/w, tilt, pwr ant, and many other options. Oddly enough, they left off Rally II wheels.

Most likely the yellow/green combo were school colors, or perhaps they were Green Bay Packer fan, or a John Deere fan, who knows.

More pics: http://www.musclecarfilms.com/1969PontiacRAIVconvertibles.html

Mike </div></div>

StealthBird
03-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Well, I wasn't insinuating the car came from Green Bay. I'm actually quite familiar with this car. I was merely pointing out the color combo may have had some significance to the original owner, perhaps team colors. As we know, sports fans can be from any city or country.

Definitely not the most optioned out 69 Firebird I've ever seen, not even close.

auwrestling
03-13-2015, 09:50 PM
I just talked to him definately not a packers fan He was a pro curler and the car was raced by the dealership .More options really I guess I'm wrong ,Wow would like to see A couple of 69 Fb PHS with more than 33 items on sheet . We're they 400 cars ? Thanks for info

StealthBird
03-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Again, I think the Goldenrod Yellow/green 1969 Firebird is pretty cool, well optioned, and it was VERY well restored. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif

I have invoices for a 34 and a 36 optioned car (both 400 cars), and also just did a window sticker for a 39 optioned Firebird 400 ragtop non-HO (I have a couple 33 optioned Bird invoices too). All these cars had two-page window stickers. There's a 40 optioned 1969 Firebird 400 brass hat car (with extra cost paint, which was another option), but only have the build sheet with an obscured VIN on that one.

Some interesting options that are rarely seen (the yellow/green does not have these) are Instant-Aire, leather interior, tape deck, 4-speaker AM/FM stereo, and adjustable Koni shocks.

Goldenrod Yellow was listed as &quot;special order&quot; in Pontiac sales material, but it's not exactly rare. Goldenrod Yellow, like Carousel Red (a.k.a. Hugger Orange in the Chevy World) was just a $12.64 option on the 1969 Firebird, and they sold a boatload of Goldenrod Yellow and Carousel Red 1969 Firebirds. The confusion here is that invoices list &quot;PAINT SPECL&quot;, and people think it's some rare non-RPO color. Goldenrod Yellow was coded on the trim tag and invoice, it was just an extra cost color.

A true special paint car would be like this 1972 Trans Am ordered in Adriatic Blue (from the MCACN show). 1970-1972 Trans Am's were only available in Polar White or Lucerne Blue.

old5.0
03-14-2015, 01:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1970-1972 Trans Am's were only available in Polar White or Lucerne Blue.

</div></div>

Which is a crime, because Adriatic looks absolutely killer on that car.

Xplantdad
03-14-2015, 01:47 AM
I heard somewhere from someone at MCACN that the person that had this ram air IV Firebird Vert...also had another, too? True?? or no???

I still think it's cool as heck!!

auwrestling
03-14-2015, 02:25 AM
Back in the late 70s the yellow Raiv rag had a overdrive unit on it

442w30
03-14-2015, 03:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Goldenrod Yellow was listed as &quot;special order&quot; in Pontiac sales material, but it's not exactly rare. Goldenrod Yellow, like Carousel Red (a.k.a. Hugger Orange in the Chevy World) was just a $12.64 option on the 1969 Firebird, and they sold a boatload of Goldenrod Yellow and Carousel Red 1969 Firebirds. The confusion here is that invoices list &quot;PAINT SPECL&quot;, and people think it's some rare non-RPO color. Goldenrod Yellow was coded on the trim tag and invoice, it was just an extra cost color.
</div></div>

Oldsmobile people have a similar issue - there were four extra-cost colors in 1970 but published material from the time call them &quot;special-order&quot; when they were not. However, more often than not, they don't have paint codes on the data plate.

Just goes to show how decentralized GM was, as each brand did things differently.

Now if we could figure out what the Z in front of the trim code on the data plate meant, we'd have one mystery solved - that's something that I think is consistent among all the brands, so it's probably a Fisher issue. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif

auwrestling
03-14-2015, 12:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard somewhere from someone at MCACN that the person that had this ram air IV Firebird Vert...also had another, too? True?? or no???

I still think it's cool as heck!! </div></div>
Yes,he did .I've been tracking the 69 and 70 RAIV birds since 70s . Located 2 windward blue / parchment 4 Spd cars and this yellow car up north in Canada and a Warwick blue 4 Spd car in wash state

StealthBird
03-14-2015, 04:05 PM
I believe the Warwick Blue/White Custom Interior 4-speed is the one being restored here in LaGrange IL.

442w30
03-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Mike, how many options did that burgundy '69 at MCACN have?

StealthBird
03-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Dave's 69 Firebird 400 HO Ram Air ragtop has 34 options, with an MSRP of $5286.44. If his were a Trans Am with these options, the MSRP would be close to $6,000.

auwrestling
03-14-2015, 11:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the Warwick Blue/White Custom Interior 4-speed is the one being restored here in LaGrange IL. </div></div>

Yes , it's in good hands